XR650R Tail Light?!?!?

13 replies to this topic
  • lucky13

Posted March 12, 2006 - 06:23 AM

I have a 2001 XR650R that I purchased with an already installed Baja Designs kit. Not thrilled with the rear tail lght the kit comes with, the bulb face to the left, not rearward!!!! I would like to make the original tail light on the top side of the rear fender work with a dual filament bulb. Any one done this or have suggestions.

Worse comes to worse, I'll just buy a new taill light assembly to replace the BD one, but I'd rather clean up the rear of the bike.

HELP!!!! :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:07 AM

How about going with a maeir mx style rear fender and the baja design under the fender LED tail light. That would make the rear fender clean and smooth.

• radvocaat

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:38 AM

The stock tail light is quite cheap, if I remember.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:43 AM

I have a 2001 XR650R that I purchased with an already installed Baja Designs kit. Not thrilled with the rear tail lght the kit comes with, the bulb face to the left, not rearward!!!! I would like to make the original tail light on the top side of the rear fender work with a dual filament bulb. Any one done this or have suggestions.

Worse comes to worse, I'll just buy a new taill light assembly to replace the BD one, but I'd rather clean up the rear of the bike.

HELP!!!! :thumbsup:

Yes, Baja Desings has a kit to convert your stock tailight to accept a dual filament bulb.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 12, 2006 - 09:23 AM

I scrapped the rubber assembly under the stock lense and wired in two 194 type sockets that I ground down to fit, then installed two RED 194 style LED lamps, all fits under stock lense and I have a brake switch in the rear master cylinder. The red LEDS are BRIGHT, like hurt your eyes when looking at them even from 30 feet.

Posted Image

• wickedsprint

Posted March 12, 2006 - 12:08 PM

Yes, Baja Desings has a kit to convert your stock tailight to accept a dual filament bulb.

I thought the only thing Baja designs has is a means to wire in a resistor that just dims the light normalls then allows full voltage when brake is actuated...

• 4whlfun

Posted March 12, 2006 - 12:18 PM

You can buy the switch for the rear master cylinder from any Honda dealer for about 18 dollars. That is where I bought mine. Very easy to put in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted March 12, 2006 - 01:58 PM

First I added a second 194-type socket under the stock lens for my brake light. I was less than impressed using incendecent bulbs. Wickedsprint's LED bulb settup with daul 194 sockets sounds good. Had I done that I might have kept it that way (??).

I then added a Baja Designs LED taillight/liecense plate assembly and disconnected my second 194 socket under the stock taillight. The BD LED taillight is awsome--I really like it. Functions as a running light (I still use the stock running light too), brake light (very bright while drawing very little power), and a liecense plate light. I use a mastercylinder pressure switch on the front brake to activate the brake light.

This sorta shows what it looks like:
Posted Image

• 4whlfun

Posted March 12, 2006 - 05:30 PM

I like that setup. I made my own going under the back and a led for the license plate and another led on the back of the fender over top the license plate for the brake. Both came from pepboys about 15 dollars. Arizona is a blast for these XR650R's :thumbsup:

• Max Power

Posted March 12, 2006 - 05:58 PM

I just stuffed a dual filament bulb in there.

Posted Image

• HawkGT

Posted March 12, 2006 - 06:41 PM

[snip]...Arizona is a blast for these XR650R's :thumbsup:

...like they were made for each other. :thumbsup:

• lucky13

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:33 PM

I just stuffed a dual filament bulb in there.

Posted Image

How did you get it to fit?!?!?! I placed on in there, but it didn't seem to fit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 13, 2006 - 03:46 PM

How did you get it to fit?!?!?! I placed on in there, but it didn't seem to fit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just do TWO 194 sockets, uses alot less room and won't have a hot 1157 bulb right next to the friggin lense. Did you not see the picture I posted?

• lucky13

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:51 AM

Hey MAXPOWER,

How did you get the dual filament bulb to fit? Love to here how you did it.

Thanks!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.