Anyone ever take their XR600/650 to the strip?

4 replies to this topic
  • GTSViper

Posted March 12, 2006 - 05:49 AM

I used to take my dirt bikes just for fun.

My '87 CR500 went 12.35@107 mph.. would have gone into the 11s if I could have used an even smaller rear sprocket

• HawkGT

Posted March 12, 2006 - 02:06 PM

No but I've wanted to. The techs at my local drag track are (unreasonable) sticklers about bikes having chain guards. Not sure what they'd say about a dirt bike that never had one. I will give it a try at some point.

Dragging's fun! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted March 12, 2006 - 03:19 PM

I defiantly will soon as I get my cycle endorsement. How much does it usually cost to run the quarter anyway?

• GTSViper

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:35 PM

I remember making up a rudimentary chain guard for CR500 now. Nothing special. It's been a long time, but I think I just used existing bolts on the bike-maybe even bolting together the chain guard's vertical pieces to the long horizontal piece over the chain.

Most strips have a test n tune day or night. The best time to go actually. If you wait for a regular drag day you'll be in the staging lanes or pits waiting for all the other cars to run. Or worse waiting for when they 'let the bikes run' off and on during the session.

I took a CR250, then a TT500, later the CR500. A good way to test jetting and some other things. It's probably $20 at Milan or Lapeer dragstrip for example.

I drag raced with my MX gear on..always good for someone to come over afterwards and say how amazed they were that a dirt bike could be that fast.

Like when I blew off that Buick Grand National.. :thumbsup:

I don't think they let cars n bikes race/practice against each other so much anymore. You do need something that looks like a chain guard though..

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 12, 2006 - 09:03 PM

I remember making up a rudimentary chain guard for CR500 now. Nothing special. It's been a long time, but I think I just used existing bolts on the bike-maybe even bolting together the chain guard's vertical pieces to the long horizontal piece over the chain.

Most strips have a test n tune day or night. The best time to go actually. If you wait for a regular drag day you'll be in the staging lanes or pits waiting for all the other cars to run. Or worse waiting for when they 'let the bikes run' off and on during the session.

I took a CR250, then a TT500, later the CR500. A good way to test jetting and some other things. It's probably $20 at Milan or Lapeer dragstrip for example.

I drag raced with my MX gear on..always good for someone to come over afterwards and say how amazed they were that a dirt bike could be that fast.

Like when I blew off that Buick Grand National.. :thumbsup:

I don't think they let cars n bikes race/practice against each other so much anymore. You do need something that looks like a chain guard though..

Check my garage for one kick-ass chain guard.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.