Acerbis Rally Guard Warning

27 replies to this topic
  • dl19

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:06 PM

I just installed Acerbis Rally hand guards on my 05. The brake line is in the way for the guard to fit properly. I had to dremel a large notch in the raised portion designed to protect the master cylinder. I did not have to cut down into the main body portion, but something to consider with this hand guard. I prefer this guard as it is more then strong enough, and I think it is actually better because it has a little "give" and rebounds back on the endo type GET OFF's.

• Matty05

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:26 PM

That's the problem with a lot of guards, as they aren't bike specific.
Minor mods are all it takes, no biggie.

• silverlakerider

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:27 AM

Ummmm, I installed mine just fine. Why didn't you just rotate the hand guard down a little bit?

• WR_Dave

Posted March 12, 2006 - 07:33 AM

sometimes to get the handguard to sit directly in front of the handlebar(the most effective position) you have to dremmel the notch off of the master cylinder to rotate the brake line out of the way. WR Dave.

• dl19

Posted March 12, 2006 - 08:25 AM

I wanted them up to protect the brake lever/assembly and my hands. I want the lever in the position I like, and everything else has to adjust or get adjusted to match. The guards with a taller lower mount should fit with no problems. Just something I noted.

• Fryboy

Posted March 15, 2006 - 11:27 AM

DOH! Is it too late to exchange them for something better? That's too bad, someone didn't let you know that the Rally Pro's aren't the greatest of guards. IMO - those guards are the softest flexiest of the bunch. Mine bent like butter. Always having to re-tighten the mounting brackets, stripping bolts. If I dropped the bike they'd bend. I hope your experience is/will be better than mine. I think they suck.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 15, 2006 - 11:30 AM

DOH! Is it too late to exchange them for something better? That's too bad, someone didn't let you know that the Rally Pro's aren't the greatest of guards. IMO - those guards are the softest flexiest of the bunch. Mine bent like butter. Always having to re-tighten the mounting brackets, stripping bolts. If I dropped the bike they'd bend. I hope your experience is/will be better than mine. I think they suck.

I agree, and not to be disrespectful but those handguards are $hit :thumbsup: They break as well as spin real easy, I had one spin back and damn near break my wrist.

Go for the aluminum type with a triple clamp mount, solid as a rock :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 15, 2006 - 11:39 AM

I just installed Acerbis Rally hand guards on my 05. The brake line is in the way for the guard to fit properly. I had to dremel a large notch in the raised portion designed to protect the master cylinder. I did not have to cut down into the main body portion, but something to consider with this hand guard. I prefer this guard as it is more then strong enough, and I think it is actually better because it has a little "give" and rebounds back on the endo type GET OFF's.

I had the same exact problem with my Cryra Pro bends... I had to remove a lot material on the top clamp mount to clear the end of the brake line. I took a pneumatic cut off wheel to it, took about an hour of griding away, there was aluminum particles all over the garage and in my hair. Poor design in my opinion...

• MotoRick

Posted March 15, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Just to be sure, which Rally handguards are we talking about here? Acerbis makes the Rally Brush and the Rally Pro models. The Brush are an all plastic design. The Pro have an aluminum backbone. A little modification to fit a specific bike is not unusual for any brush guard. They are designed as a one-size-fits-all part, in most cases.

• Canuck

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Went thru two pairs of the rally pro model. Both stripped the bolts and moved out of position whenever bike dropped, not a good product in my opinion. Had a collision with another rider who was set up without handguards couple years back, hit bar to bar. My bark busters broke 5 metatarsels in his hand. I broke my pinkie., saved my bacon...good investment.

**what brand is everyone else using successfully?**

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freestyle250

Posted March 16, 2006 - 11:39 AM

I am more than pleased with these acerbis handguards. i went down HARD and bent the shat out of my handlebars, but the clutch lever and perch were untainted. I too had to make some modifications to make it fit around the brake line. When i crashed, they did rotate down a little bit in the handlebar, but im glad they did that instead of staying put and snapped instead.

• MotoRick

Posted March 16, 2006 - 02:34 PM

I am more than pleased with these acerbis handguards. i went down HARD and bent the shat out of my handlebars, but the clutch lever and perch were untainted. I too had to make some modifications to make it fit around the brake line. When i crashed, they did rotate down a little bit in the handlebar, but im glad they did that instead of staying put and snapped instead.

I am also a happy Acerbis user and I've had both versions of Rally guards on my bike. What some people fail to realize is that handguards are NOT designed or marketed as crash protection, but as protection from roost and trail hazards like tree branches. There's a disclaimer about crash protection on every one sold. An impact or crash hard enough to rotate a properly mounted handguard has dissipated a tremendous amount of energy and probably saved your handlebar, controls and/or arm from serious injury. Believe me, as much as I crash, I know. If a handguard mounts too solidly, the force of a crash will not be dissipated as well and bent or broken parts, possibly human parts, will likely result. If you're depending on handguards for crash protection, you're asking for trouble.

• Desracer

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:48 PM

Motorick, That must be why they call them " Hand guards " and not " Crash guards " I have seen the top rated guards twisted up and left on the race course after they broke off. Bottom line is they did the job to protect the bike and rider and allowed him to continue his race. If it don't break you ain't going fast enough!

• jerryls

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:00 PM

No disrespect Rick, but the Acerbis units are cheap crap. Mine were fine the first couple crashes, but then the aluminum backbone turned into spaghetti noodles.

The Cycras mounted to the triple clamp are rock solid. After many, many sensational crashes, they are still in great shape. When I crash in the middle of a boulder field or smack into a tree, I expect hand protection.

Jerry

• MotoRick

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:05 PM

Motorick, That must be why they call them " Hand guards " and not " Crash guards " I have seen the top rated guards twisted up and left on the race course after they broke off. Bottom line is they did the job to protect the bike and rider and allowed him to continue his race. If it don't break you ain't going fast enough!

Years ago Harley put a set of frame-mounted steel loops on their touring models that came to be known as "crash bars" since they gave some minimal protection against damage from a low speed fall over. After they got sued (and lost) by a rider when the bars collapsed and allowed the full weight of the bike to crush his leg, they now have a disclaimer on all these bars against their being "crash bars" and that they are only cosmetic. Because of the potential of product liability lawsuits and the costs of such insurance, many manufacturers apply such disclaimers even on products specifically designed for protection. Personally, I won't ride without them. Not only do they protect from roost and branches, but despite my proclivity for crashing, I have had the same Renthal bar on my bike for over a year and have not broken a lever during that period. I worry a lot less about having to finish a ride with a bent bar or broken lever. They're worth it for that alone. :thumbsup:

• MotoRick

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:10 PM

No disrespect Rick, but the Acerbis units are cheap crap. Mine were fine the first couple crashes, but then the aluminum backbone turned into spaghetti noodles.

The Cycras mounted to the triple clamp are rock solid. After many, many sensational crashes, they are still in great shape. When I crash in the middle of a boulder field or smack into a tree, I expect hand protection.

None taken. I tried the Cycras and just didn't like the hefty appearance or feel they had, but they certainly were beefy and up to the task, albeit expensive. Certainly, if tank-like protection at any cost is your need, the Rally Brush and Rally Pro are definitely lacking, but for a simple, affordable handguard (not crash guard) I find them more than adequate. I also like the optional spoilers for cold weather riding.

• jerryls

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:25 PM

When you ride as poorly as I do, tank-like protection is mandatory :thumbsup:

Jerry

• grappler

Posted March 17, 2006 - 03:13 AM

I recently installed the Rally handguards on my '06 WR450. So far, so good. :thumbsup:

• Fryboy

Posted March 17, 2006 - 05:54 AM

I hope I didn't come of as harsh, if I did, I apologize. I was just explaining my experience with them. I bought them because I thought they looked nice and seemed to offer what I was looking for. I want my hands and levers to be protected. I don't want the mounting hardware to come loose and/or strip. I certainly don't want the backbone to be so damn bendy. The Acerbis looked to fill my needs but failed miserably. And I too crash HARD :thumbsup:

Responding to an earlier post, I am using Enduro Engineering. If you compare only the mounting hardware you will come to the same conclusion I did, the Acerbis are poorly built in comparison.

• CheYuen

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:21 AM

Motorick - did you have to do any modifications to the cycras to get proper fit? I am looking for tank-like protection and hopefully not having to modify the handguard.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.