frustrated xr650r owner

33 replies to this topic
  • exaresix

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:26 AM

Remove the pilot jet. Spray carb cleaner up into the passage for about 30 seconds. Then blow compressed air up into the same passage (this part is very important). Replace pilot jet. Do the same for the mixture screw. Be careful not to lose the spring, o-ring, and washer. I bet is starts fine after this. If you don't have an air compressor, take it to a shop. They will fix it for less than 70 bucks. Sadly, they will probably spend five minutes simply doing the above.

• gnarly sprockets

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:36 AM

Swallow your pride and take it to a shop.

my thought exactly. prolly cost less than the carb you DON'T need.

• HawkGT

Posted March 14, 2006 - 09:57 AM

I totally agree with the above two posts.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 14, 2006 - 10:49 AM

I thought about this a little more and remembered some other possibilities when your running the stock carb. The stock carb is notorious for having too high a float level. They need to be set to shut the fuel off 2mm sooner than the stock setting. If the bike is ridden much at all you will have to reset it from time to time. This is a possible problem that the bike is perpetually flooded.

Another possibility is the spark plug lead off the coil. It rubs against the frame and can eventually arc to the frame causing your problem. Check it and wrap it in a rubber insulation of some kind to see if it fixes your problem.

What may to some appear to be a carb problem can be electrical. Meaning: plug, plug wire, coil and so on. Start with the simplest and cheapest to check.

Float level cost nothing to adjust

Spark plug is just a few bucks

Plug wire is free to check by making sure it can't arc to the frame.

If you are at all mechanicly inclined these bikes just are not that hard to work on. Take your time and isolate one thing at a time. then move to the next. Be patient.

Once I actually had a main jet crack and break off in the bowl while I was riding. I could get it to run but just sputter and die the minute I tried to go. Wierd!

Don't buy an edelbrock until you solve the running problem with the stock carb. I love the edelbrock but the stock carb can be made to function just fine if you work at fine tuning it.

BTW, do you know the proper procedure for starting a stock carburated XR650R? When it's flooded do you know the proper procedure?

• InternalCombustion

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Dude, do not despair. I PROMISE you when you sort out this problem (by yourself, or by taking it to a good shop) and you get "The Mighty R" running the way God intended, you will wear a big smile for a week.

I will say this about the stock carb, many people don't seem to have problems with it. Other people, myself included, have had fits with theirs, particularly with hard-starting due to "operator-induced" flooding.

I got the Edelbrock QS pumper last year (from Rob Barnum) and in the past 9 months the only time it has taken more than 2 kicks (usually just 1) was two weeks ago when it was 30 degrees outside and I needed to pretend it was Spring. Took me 4 kicks. Probably could have done it in 1 or 2 if I'd known how many extra squirts I needed to give it to overcome the extreme cold.

I've supermoto-ized mine and am madly in love with it.

Don't give up on the girl, she's got a big heart.

• CFAmD7G

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:46 PM

got that kitty purring yet?

• hurtigrodfare

Posted March 14, 2006 - 01:24 PM

Swallow your pride and take it to a shop.

no no no no i dont whan to :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MIxr650r

Posted March 14, 2006 - 04:42 PM

Hey hurt,

Does you carb leak gas out of the vent line when you kick it over, or after you shut it off. I just read some posts that say the above could be because your floats are stuck open, not just out of alignment. I wish I knew that this past weekend. :thumbsup:

Just thought Id throw that at you because I know now what was wrong with mine (the floats were sticking open flooding the bike hopelessly). But its too late for me I already ordered the QS carb.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hey hurt,

Does you carb leak gas out of the vent line when you kick it over, or after you shut it off. I just read some posts that say the above could be because your floats are stuck open, not just out of alignment. I wish I knew that this past weekend. :thumbsup:

Just thought Id throw that at you because I know now what was wrong with mine (the floats were sticking open flooding the bike hopelessly). But its too late for me I already ordered the QS carb.

A nicely tuned stock carb will put a smile on your face when the bike is uncorked. My first XR650R was the first one to hit the showroom floor at our dealer in Feb. of 2000. Once I got the stock carb tuned it was great. My next XR650R had all kinds of trouble keeping it running correctly with the stock carb. That's when I bought an Edelbrock. I had trouble with it in the beginning but once the bugs were worked out I could not of been happier.

The nice thing about the QS is that it really does make a difference. A good set up stock carb is all many will ever need or want but the QS improves several things that need improvment. You will not have wasted your money.

• Winkel

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Hurt,

If you float is set too high, gas will leak out your overflow. Is the restriction removed from the rubber between the carb and the head? Do you have a vent tube kinked or plugged? Bring it to southern Illinois. I'll get it running! Don't despair. If you can find someone with the same bike near you, try swapping carbs to see if that cures the problem. I have the stock unit on my bike and it runs great. Keep trying.

Winkel

• skyriver

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:31 PM

I read thru this fairly quickly, but I don't think anyone mentioned something very simple that stumped me one day. The idle screw or the idle stop screw as Honda calls it. You know, that big knob down there that's way too close to the choke for big hands. My kids may have messed w/ it or I may have hit it choking it, but it had somehow been changed. Thumpers will not start (or idle) if this is too low. I kicked mine out in the 90 degree desert for hours one time before I realized what it was. My manual tells me that to increase the idle you need to turn the thing (as you're sitting on it) to the left. Meaning, grab it with your left hand and flick it out like your hitchin' a ride. You're supposed to adjust the idle while hot, but if it won't start you have nothing to lose. Before you take it to the shop increase the idle as one last try. It worked for me and your symptoms sound like my experience that horrible hot day.

• hurtigrodfare

Posted March 14, 2006 - 09:48 PM

i would like to thank every body that helped and to let you know that when you adjust the valves that the stater cover has to be off and align with the mark on the case. I also changed the spark plug. Ran and idled and throttled up but think it is a little lean going to play with but thank you. :thumbsup:

• MIxr650r

Posted March 15, 2006 - 07:19 AM

Ok, Im an idoit. Thanks for all the help. I re-cleaned the carb last night and realized that the last time (my last post) i was turning the idle adjustment THE WRONG WAY! It was 7-8 turns under normal idle. Its running like a dream now, starts 1 - 2 kicks. I ended up with #170 main, 68s, 1 and 1/2 tuns out for the fuel screw.

Thanks again for all the help! :thumbsup:

• skyriver

Posted March 15, 2006 - 01:29 PM

The idle screw strikes again! I mistakenly called it the idle stop.... correction: Honda calls it the throttle stop. Either way, these things will not run if that idle screw is turned down too low. Also was the reason for me stalling on the road, but not the dirt. Easy fix I guess, but can be a little frustrating when you assume it should stay the same. Any thoughts about this thing vibrating to the point of adjusting towards less idle? I'm assuming I probably just hit it w/ my riding gloves on my big paws.
Also, I marked my air/fuel screws on the carb with a Sharpie. Even though they're recessed, I thought I might as well mark them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.