Help!! I need to make a HARD choice!!

8 replies to this topic
  • Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted October 01, 2001 - 06:25 PM

To make a long story short, I am buying a new(to me)bike, I had to sell my WR this spring , because of a little" bump" in the road. I have been looking at 2 bikes, and need to make a decision on which one to get.
The first bike is a 98 YZ400f, with about 200 hours on it. The bike has e series exhaust, and renthal bars, but other than that it is stock, and in average condition.
The 2nd bike I am looking at is a 2001 Kawasaki KX 250 with less than 10 hours on it. Bone stock. The guy who bought it is afraid of it.
I was going to buy a new YZ 250, but cannot afford it. I am leaning towards the Kaw, but I love the YZ 4 strokes!! BUT the YZ is a 98 with ALOT of hours, and marginal maintenance.
Give me some Pros and Cons guys. Thanks!!
Dave

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 01, 2001 - 07:27 PM

Dave,
You answered your own question - buy the KX. You'll be dumping money into the 3 yr old YZ4 to keep it up to snuff. You can always buy a 4 stroke when funds permit.

Brian

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 01, 2001 - 07:35 PM

I would go with the KX250. When I buy used I like to get something near new, unless the guy was meticulous with the maintenance.

It also depends on the price. In certain parts of the country used sells for a lot less than it does in So Cal. Here people want $500 less for a bike that is 2 years old. This is simply not worth the lower price for the hastle, unexpected repairs and giving up newer technology. But if he wants to sell the YZ400F for $2500-$3500 vs the Kawasaki at $5,000 then maybe it is a different story.

So I guess we would have to know the prices, but if prices are equal, hands down the Kawi.

------------------
2000WR - EKN#5, 172MJ, 226MAJ, MAJ Passage drilled to 278, 48PJ, 100PAJ, YZ timing, BK mod, 3/4 turn pilot screw, DSP tapered header and pipe, IMS tank & YZ seat, Scotts dampener & triple clamp & Renthal Fatbar 971, White Bros suspension, Dunlop 756's.

• PMAUST

Posted October 01, 2001 - 08:52 PM

Thats like two totally different bikes! :) Are they your only choices? I have one son with a 98 YZ400 and another with a KX250. Both good bikes. I guess it all depends on how much you can spend. With all the bikes for sale out there I would definately shop around. There are a lot of good deals to be found. Good luck, P

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted October 02, 2001 - 03:12 AM

Two things to consider please :
a) Bottom end on YZ will have to be done sooner than you may expect
:) used bikes are like buses, one every half hour. If you don't like = NEXT !

Good luck, keep it simple!

[This message has been edited by Hugh LePage (edited October 02, 2001).]

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted October 02, 2001 - 12:55 PM

Here is the dilemma. I am looking to trade a quad for a bike, or sell the quad outright, and take that money and buy a bike.
I am getting rid of a 2001 Banshee, and was offered an even up trade for the 2001 KX, I was also offered the YZ and 1200 dollars for the quad. I can expect to get about 4000 to 4200 for the quad.
NOW what would you guys do.
I do like the KX, and I was really considering going back to a 2 stroke, but something in the back of my brain is saying "no". I am 35 years old, in excellent health, and excellent physical shape.
I need sugestions, my wife just says"What ever you want to do is OK with me"( Kind of a double edged sword isn't it!!)
Thanks for the replies Guys!!
Dave

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 02, 2001 - 01:52 PM

A '01 KX250 for ~$4k doesn't sound too bad to me. What's a '01 KX worth on the used market in your area?

Dave you even stated that the YZ has had marginal maintenance - that alone would steer me away from it. Besides it's a first year production bike - water pump shaft problems, harsh suspension?, etc....

Plus, I'm not sure I'd buy a YZ/WR if I was looking for a new (to me) bike. The other options are very tempting depending on what you're looking for.

Brian

[This message has been edited by NVR FNSH (edited October 02, 2001).]

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted October 03, 2001 - 04:47 PM

I thought I might get pushed a little harder into the YZ!! This is THUMPERtalk isn' it!! Well, I am the proud(??) owner of a 2001 KX 250. I hope I can still hang out with you guys?!! Thanks for all your honesty, I really appreciate it!!
Dave

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 03, 2001 - 05:04 PM

Congrats & yes I'm jealous.

I think you made the smart choice.

Brian

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.