Lighter flywheel

16 replies to this topic
  • alfa

Posted March 11, 2006 - 08:54 AM

Does anyone know where to get a lighter flywheel of an 05 WR 450? A YZ one apparently does not work on the WR.

• Ibis

Posted March 11, 2006 - 09:09 AM

http://www.trailtech.../flywheel_1.htm

• mtrablue

Posted March 11, 2006 - 07:54 PM

don't think your going to find one. not much of a market. it's a 265 pound woods bike. if it doesn't have enough snap, put in a yz exhaust cam. probably cheaper anyways.

• simon@vic

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:12 PM

yz cam and an aluminum RR sprocket will get it reving up faster!

personally i like the weight of it and the RR sprocket. but they yz cam and intake/ exhaust mods are needed!!!

• Matty05

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:22 PM

You could get your stocker machined down a bit. Cheap and easy. Looking at this option at the moment.
I hate the stock flywheel too.

• OneToGo

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hi

http://www.trailtech.../flywheel_1.htm

This site quotes 30oz for the WR flywheel vs 17oz for their YZ replacement:

Qs? What is a good weight for a WR flywheel that willl allow the motor to spin up more quickly but still drive the standard electrics??
Anyone done a relatively cheap lightening mod of the standard WR flywheel?
Any idea of an "ideal weight" .Trail tech lists one that is 6oz lighter than standard which BTW, is only half way to the YZs 17oz weight.
Just interested for future mods perhaps...
Colin
:thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:56 PM

-6oz must be a good start! I would like say -10 or -12 oz.

• mtrablue

Posted March 12, 2006 - 08:14 AM

i just got through adding 8oz. to my flywheel so you can see my needs are not for quicker revs. that said, i had the flywheel off and had a good look at it while i was measuring for the weight and all. the outer shell seems to be a stamping. i suppose a skim cut could be made following the original profile might shave off a little weight. be nice to find a wrecked one so it could be cut in half to find the areas with the most meat. the outer ring of the starter clutch on the back of the flywheel is pretty beefy. you could get a little from it. i'm just not sure there's enough to really effect the performance.

the one thought i had was about the the clutch plates. it used to be we added steel clutch plates to our mx bikes to get a bit more flywheel effect. our wr's come stock with them. do any of the yz's still come with aluminum and will they retro fit the wr? i know they wouldn't hold up as well but it would certainly reduce rotating mass.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ibis

Posted March 12, 2006 - 08:56 AM

I haven't used the Trailtech lighter flywheel myself, but some of the KTM guys have gone from stock EXC 32oz / 29oz to a Trailtech 22oz and seem to like the extra snap for the kind of riding they do, which is mostly desert. IMO, for most woods riding, stock or heavier is better.

• alfa

Posted March 13, 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I might get my buddy to machine it down a couple of Oz's. My only worry is making sure it is balanced correctly.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:25 AM

before ya did that i'd get the trail tech -6 they are quality balanced pieces machined from a solid chunk of chromoly steel. they boost output(dual sport kits,baja lighting) and only $100. i've used them on both my bikes :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 14, 2006 - 03:18 PM

before ya did that i'd get the trail tech -6 they are quality balanced pieces machined from a solid chunk of chromoly steel. they boost output(dual sport kits,baja lighting) and only $100. i've used them on both my bikes :thumbsup:

Did the -6oz make much of a difference?

• Numskull

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:06 PM

Just like to say thanks for reminding me about fly wheel weight :thumbsup:

My problem is a little different though. Its to quick to rev. I mean more like there is know way to be quick enough on the shifter to keep her below 11000 rpm's when you go threw the gears at full throttle.

It makes it really hard to drive. If I pull back on the throttle, it red lines in half a second :bonk:

I think I'm gonna check on adding some weight :thumbsup:

• OneToGo

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:33 PM

Ahhh, those 426ers!

Just like to say thanks for reminding me about fly wheel weight :bonk:

My problem is a little different though. Its to quick to rev. I mean more like there is know way to be quick enough on the shifter to keep her below 11000 rpm's when you go threw the gears at full throttle.

It makes it really hard to drive. If I pull back on the throttle, it red lines in half a second :confused:

Just a thought.... if I had a motor that strong, I'd be thinking of gearing it up. Yeah, I think the later WRs have wider ratio gearboxes, so it becomes an issue for us - obviously not for you.
I think I may try a 24oz job...one day
Good info guys :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 14, 2006 - 09:37 PM

Just like to say thanks for reminding me about fly wheel weight :thumbsup:

It makes it really hard to drive. If I pull back on the throttle, it red lines in half a second :bonk:

Yeah, sounds more like a gearing issue to me.
I would try 1 more tooth on the front sprocket.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 15, 2006 - 06:50 AM

Did the -6oz make much of a difference?

no i didn't use that one specifically. just saying its quality stuff :thumbsup: on the 04 wr i removed the starter clutch and drive gear,and used the stock replacement trail tech. probly lost about 8 oz off stock and yes the throttle response was mucho better. like a yz w/ +6 :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:05 PM

no i didn't use that one specifically. just saying its quality stuff :thumbsup: on the 04 wr i removed the starter clutch and drive gear,and used the stock replacement trail tech. probly lost about 8 oz off stock and yes the throttle response was mucho better. like a yz w/ +6 :thumbsup:

Sounds great! Thanks mate.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.