Edelbrock Problems

6 replies to this topic
  • YoungGun650R

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Hey guys, I just bought a new Edelbrock pumper carb. Installation was nice and simple. I am however having some problems tuning the thing. I am having problems with the idle taking along time to fall off from open throttle positions. It seems to have a little spuder if I hold the throttle about 1/4 of the way open. The spark plug is nice and tan so I don't know what to do. Any ideas of what I could try?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 10, 2006 - 07:23 PM

Hey guys, I just bought a new Edelbrock pumper carb. Installation was nice and simple. I am however having some problems tuning the thing. I am having problems with the idle taking along time to fall off from open throttle positions. It seems to have a little spuder if I hold the throttle about 1/4 of the way open. The spark plug is nice and tan so I don't know what to do. Any ideas of what I could try?

Turn the idle down a bit and richen the fuel mix. I know it's a silly question but was the bike uncorked before installing the carb? The carb is designed to work with an uncorked bike. Also check to make sure your throttle cables are not routed under the tank mount. They must be routed over the top of the tank mount.

• deanlikesstella

Posted March 11, 2006 - 12:31 AM

i had this problem for about 1/2 hour and found the problem its too rich or its too lean. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fingers

Posted March 11, 2006 - 12:47 AM

Same thing (hanging idle) happened to me. It was adjusted too lean.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 11, 2006 - 07:34 PM

I had this happen to me today and found it to be a comination of things. In my case I richened the needle (14 clicks out from full rich) and I lengthened the squirt which is also a way of richening it. It smoothed everything out including the idle. The squirt specaily helped with starting the bike and smoothed out the take off from idle.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 11, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I know they teach us to watch for nice and tan...but on a 4-stroke with current clean fuels being what they are..nice and tan can sometimes mean too rich, sputtering off idle tells me you need to back it out a couple clicks and see how she runs, sounds like mine did when first installed at 6 clicks out, went to about 15 and now all is well. I am guessing in your current configuration just off idle cruising through the neighborhood shows some surging and such, possibly stalling? If so then she is definitely rich on the needle height (clicker adjustment on top of carb sets needle height)

• hurtigrodfare

Posted March 11, 2006 - 07:50 PM

you are still a little lean riching it up a couple of clicks and reavaluate. you might have to readjust the idle and maby not

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.