Swingarm

7 replies to this topic
  • camaro345

Posted March 10, 2006 - 05:35 PM

Today I sanded my swing arm to remove some of the light scratches and blemishes that have appeared over the time I have owned the bike. The swing arm has a very polished look to it now that actually looks cool, but I really want the look of the original swingarm, the more dull look, I have tried different grits of sand paper also, but it either scratches with coarse or polishes with fine. I was wondering how exactly I would acomplish getting the aluminum to a more dull finish. Any ideas??

• wr429j

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:02 PM

You might give scotchbrite on an orbital or palm sander a try, different "grits" are available.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk:

• Matty05

Posted March 10, 2006 - 09:16 PM

Just ride it, it will be back to dull in no time.

• DEZZNUTJOB

Posted December 25, 2006 - 06:20 AM

I believe that these swingarms have some kinda factory seal coating and over time it gets nicked up and now you have sanded the rest of it off. Try some kind of spray clear coating and if that don't work remove the coating, slap the swingarm back on and just roost.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jwar1r1t3

Posted December 25, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Today I sanded my swing arm to remove some of the light scratches and blemishes that have appeared over the time I have owned the bike. The swing arm has a very polished look to it now that actually looks cool, but I really want the look of the original swingarm, the more dull look, I have tried different grits of sand paper also, but it either scratches with coarse or polishes with fine. I was wondering how exactly I would acomplish getting the aluminum to a more dull finish. Any ideas??

I am pretty sure the coating on these swing arms are annodized aluminum. Which is really not a sprayed on coating but a finish that is caused by a chemical reaction with the aluminum that "corrodes" the surface and creates a barrier that can easily be scratched off.

You basically sanded the finish off the swing arm if it was annodized.

Although I am not 100% sure, but it seems like a good guess.

• texas_hippie

Posted December 29, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Jwar is correct! You just rubbed off all your corrosion protection! If you want that dull look back, have the swing arm bead blasted, (glass beads for aluminum) , and re-anodized. Or if you don't want to spend the money to do it right, just get a couple of rattle cans of satin finish, clear polyurethane, spray it with that. Unless you plan on polishing it every few days, put SOME kind of corrosion resistant coating on it!

• jandmsuburban7

Posted December 30, 2006 - 10:58 PM

Aluminum starts oxidizing imediately in the environment once the coating has been taken off. At this point you will probably need to buff it to the desired smoothness and then coat it with a color or a clear of choice that is made for aluminum. Good luck. Jason

• ADVnaut

Posted December 31, 2006 - 12:05 AM

+1, Aluminum is a self protecting metal, it oxidizes so fast(creating an insulating barrier) that corrosion almost does not affect it. The only caveat is in the presence of salt. NaCl inhibits the natural defense and you get mega corrosion. Unless you are riding in saline environments you will probably be ok as is. For a warm and fuzzy though, coat it and flog it. Repeat as necessary.:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.