Stage 2 Cam?

11 replies to this topic
  • rpmranger

Posted March 10, 2006 - 01:06 PM

Anyone out there running the Hotcams Stage 2 cam in the 650R?

I ride everything from tight technical mountain trails and moab slickrock to wide open desert racing and sand dunes. Trying to decide between the stage 1 or stage 2 cam. There seems to be a LOT of guys running the stage 1 but hardly anyone with the 2.

How did the stage 2 effect bottom end power, is it still a torque monster or did it shift the power range up to mid-top end more.

Basically I wanna know if it will still be OK in the technical mountain trails and slickrock still with the stage 2...I KNOW it will be good for the desert but don't know how bad it will affect low end. :thumbsup:

Does the stage 1 make much of a difference...is it even worth it? :thumbsup:

I have full exaust, edelbrock, hop up kit, everything else stock.

thanks.

• weskc35k

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Mate if i was going to go a cam i'd put the stage 2 in it.
There's a bloke on this forum that posts by the handle bwb63 who knows a heap about warmed up xr650's,I think it is the same feller with a web site can be found at
borynack@hotmail.com if it's the same guy he'll set you straight.

• rpmranger

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:40 AM

thanks for the reply.... I already have his website bookmarked, but he mostly just talks about his 680 monster! Maybe i'll e-mail him anyway. :thumbsup:

I really would like to know how well the stage 2 cam will work WITHOUT the higher compression, oversized valves and more cc's :thumbsup: ...I KNOW it will work well with that stuff.

Anyone out there have an internally unmodified 650R with the stage 2 cam???
C-MON....somebody has to have one! Or is everyone to chicken! just kidding :bonk:

....and YES, before I get told, I have done a search...out of 56,000 posts only a couple guys are running the stage 2 and they are heavily modified bikes, and only ONE guy is using it on a similar motor to mine and his has no top end so something probably isn't right there.

• Supplicate

Posted March 11, 2006 - 01:05 PM

well...

you could PM the member "SMOKE"

He's running a stage 2 cam, but IIRC he also has a stock bore 11:1 piston.

I personally am running a stage 1 cam w/ 11:1 piston, as soon as my suspension gets back from being redone anyway :thumbsup:

qadsan runs the stage 1 cam in his engines with completely stock internals, but I really don't know of anyone else that runs a different cam without upping the compression.

edit: btw here is a quote from qadsan

I like my stage 1 HotCam. It was simple to install and provided a nice bang for the buck. I wish this was the cam profile that our bikes came with stock. I'm running the stock valve train without issues. The only thing with the HotCam is you can't transfer the auto-decomp mechanism from the stock cam to the HotCam and you'll have to do without it, but that was no big deal to me and in fact it's one less thing to go wrong, less rotating mass, etc. You've still got your decomp lever which is different than the auto-decomp mechanism that was on your cam. Just make sure you're starting your bike from just past TDC as opposed to kicking it over from any postion like a 2 stroke or there's a small chance things could get ugly if the lever kicked back.

• qadsan

Posted March 11, 2006 - 03:13 PM

And someday later this year I'll be putting a stage II in my d/s 650R without any other internal engine mods (stock piston & valves), but I'm keeping the stage 1 in my 650R that's setup for off-road use.

When it comes to price / performance, it's hard to beat a simple HotCam upgrade for $125 - $150. How many other products under $150 can you think of that will give you a genuine performance increase that can be instrumented & measured on a dyno?

• rpmranger

Posted March 11, 2006 - 04:12 PM

alright thanks,

I guess I'll just buy both stage 1 and 2 and see which one I like better...they are pretty cheap...around $130

I can talk a friend into buying the one I don't want for $100 bucks or so.

I'll let everyone know how the stage 2 runs without engine mods, maybe write a stage 1 vs. stage 2 comparison.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted March 11, 2006 - 04:23 PM

alright thanks,

I guess I'll just buy both stage 1 and 2 and see which one I like better...they are pretty cheap...around $130

I can talk a friend into buying the one I don't want for $100 bucks or so.

I'll let everyone know how the stage 2 runs without engine mods, maybe write a stage 1 vs. stage 2 comparison.

I like the sound of that. It would really add to everyones' knowledge base to get some real data. Dyno the bike stock, w/ a S1, and then a S2. The dyno part is important since seat-of-the-pants can be so deceiving.

(ETA) Quick story: I use to ride a 98' CBR900RR. Buddy of mine had the same bike with a few mods. He was going through a bankruptcy and was relinquishing the bike to the finance company (or something like that). That gave me an opportunity to snag some of his parts. He had an Erion Racing camshaft. I dynoed my bike to get a baseline. Then we swapped cams. I re-dynoed my bike and found a 10 hp LOSS everywhere. The curves were identical just that the "cammed" curve was lower. My buddy was beside himself. He had been using a cam that was hurting his performance and didn't realize it. The whole time he assumed it was helping. After much research into why this happened I learned that the Erion cam simply had too much lift and duration to work with stock compression. Lots of lift and duration bleeds off dynamic compression (i.e. when the valves stay open longer some of the air volume that would've been trapped in the cylinder has time to escape). The cam needed (more than stock) compression to work.

Had he gotten a baseline and then re-dynoed after the cam change...

• qadsan

Posted March 11, 2006 - 06:14 PM

Great story HawkGT!

The seat-of-the-pants meter can sometimes be deceiving, but the truth comes out on the dyno :thumbsup:

Track times can also tell a different story as well and this is yet another important part of the equation because there are times when less = more :thumbsup:

• rpmranger

Posted March 11, 2006 - 10:04 PM

well, I don't have any access to a bike dyno nearby or care to spend $140 dynoing 2 different cams...but I do have another xr650r that is dead even with mine every time we race on pavement so it will show if I lose power with the stage 2 cam.

it will be interesting to see the difference :thumbsup: .

• RyanWilliamCantrell

Posted September 06, 2008 - 08:01 PM

So how did this turn out??:thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted September 06, 2008 - 10:07 PM

Good question. The last poster hasn't been active in 2 years, 5 months.

:thumbsup:

• Repent

Posted September 07, 2008 - 12:14 AM

Good question. The last poster hasn't been active in 2 years, 5 months.

:thumbsup:

:busted: - funny! I was going to say for $100, I'd take whichever one he thought he didn't like:rolleyes: (opps - guess I did say that :worthy: )

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.