Type of Oil: Opinions Please

13 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted March 10, 2006 - 11:56 AM

What's the best kind of oil to put in my '05 WR 450. I've heard AMSOIL and I've heard Yamalube. Any opinions on which is better. Any opinions on any other kinds.

Oh, and please state your credentials. :thumbsup:

• tfitzgerald2

Posted March 10, 2006 - 11:58 AM

Motoworld head mechanic extoled Yamalube.....

Regards
Tim

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 10, 2006 - 12:17 PM

Oh God, here we go... :thumbsup:

• TWILES

Posted March 10, 2006 - 12:28 PM

Yamalube 20 40

• Kepy

Posted March 10, 2006 - 01:04 PM

Oh God, here we go... :thumbsup:

agreed :thumbsup:

• Tsk350

Posted March 10, 2006 - 02:25 PM

I posted a similar thread. Do a search and save yourself some time. This is a common subject and everyone has an opinion. What I came to realize is just change your oil as often as possible and then will be in good shape. Avoid those friction modifiers!!

• alfa

Posted March 10, 2006 - 03:29 PM

20- 40 makes the bike hard to start in cold weather. Use 10-30 or 10- 40.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BeeDub

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:36 PM

agreed :thumbsup:

Not quite sure what you're implying here, but I'm assuming it's your opinion that this is a topic that has long since worn itself out. Yeah, I thought it might be when I posted it, THAT'S WHY I DID A SEARCH. I didn't find jack shit. So, if you see the topic and you know it's something you're tired of reading about, get your ass off the internet and get some work done!!! :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

• Moto5

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:38 PM

20- 40 makes the bike hard to start in cold weather. Use 10-30 or 10- 40.

I agree with that but also think the 20-40 or 20-50 will provide better protection when things get warmer.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:57 PM

Motul 10/40 E-Tech 100 full synthetic. :thumbsup:

• Tsk350

Posted March 12, 2006 - 04:34 PM

I agree with that but also think the 20-40 or 20-50 will provide better protection when things get warmer.

By then you should change your oil to a summer blend.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 12, 2006 - 05:04 PM

DIDN'T FIND JACK SHIT????????

How could that be? This is brought up weekly, has been the start of many flame wars, has contributed to a lot of respected old-timer regulars leaving the forum.....

"Beating the dead horse" just scratches the surface of this topic.

The short answer.... other than the "Energy Conserving" automotive oils, there are no "bad" oils.
If you are changing your oil regularly, anything is fine.

EC auto oils can cause clutch slippage issues. Shear stability is a problem because of the engine oil also lubricating the trans, but frequent changes mitigate this problem.

IMHO, some of the best oils (pick your weight for your weather):
Mobil-1 MX4T 10w40
Mobil-1 V-Twin 20w50
Amsoil MCF 10w40
Amsoil MCV 20w50

Yamalube is pretty popular, but has also been blamed for causing the clutch to be "grabby".

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 13, 2006 - 10:18 AM

Not quite sure what you're implying here, but I'm assuming it's your opinion that this is a topic that has long since worn itself out. Yeah, I thought it might be when I posted it, THAT'S WHY I DID A SEARCH. I didn't find jack shit. So, if you see the topic and you know it's something you're tired of reading about, get your ass off the internet and get some work done!!! :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

BS. You didn't search dick and you know it.

I'll assume you'll be busy reading all 250 of these thread just in the Yamaha forum alone.

And stop lying, noob. :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...earchid=1248387

• BeeDub

Posted March 13, 2006 - 10:31 AM

BS. You didn't search dick and you know it.

I'll assume you'll be busy reading all 250 of these thread just in the Yamaha forum alone.

And stop lying, noob. :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...earchid=1248387

Actually, I did search and that's not what came up when I typed in "oil", "oil change", "what kind of oil to use", etc. I tried different variations. I did kind of think there was something wrong with the search function when I did it though because it just looked like the first page of the WR forum when it was done loading. Anyway, nothing to get your panties in a bunch about, there's only so much you can talk about with this stuff, and I'm sure all of it has been covered in one forum or another. If repeat threads were never put up, there would be no new threads. Like I said, if it looks like something you've seen before and aren't interested in replying to with some sound advice, don't pay attention to it.

I went with the Motul, by the way. The guy at Cycle Rider agreed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.