Fly wheel problems

4 replies to this topic
  • Georgie-Hammer

Posted March 10, 2006 - 12:53 AM

I am in the process of replacing my 5th gear and selector fork. One problem, I cannot get my flywheel off even using a 2 legged puller. The end of the shaft has given in and started to burr over. I should be able to dress the shaft but PLEASE, can anyone advise me on hove to get the bloddy flywheel off !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 10, 2006 - 01:50 AM

Try heating it up with a torch it may have some killer loctite on it. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted March 10, 2006 - 10:31 AM

Put the puller on tight but dont break anything. Then heat the flywheel near the center hub don't burn anything if you still need more tap on the center shaft (big bolt) of the puller with a hammer and when it goes it will scare the hell out of you. :thumbsup:

• dbailey223

Posted March 10, 2006 - 02:47 PM

I had a 1986 Husqvarna that seized up. To get that flywheel nut off, I had to send it to a friend's shop where they work on repairing airplane turbines. With the monster torches etc they had there, it took him a couple hours to get that nut off, and then he said it flew across the room a 100' or so after making a horrendous pop sound.

• Frostbite

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:29 PM

Be careful when using the pullers that grab the outer edge of the flywheel. That's how I pop mine off but someone pointed out that it's common for the flywheel to dish when the center stays stuck and you pull on the edges. The Yamaha puller screws into the threaded section at the center of the flywheel and pulls from there with no bending of the flywheel.

I bought a cheap 3 arm puller and filed the ends a bit for clearance between the flywheel and the engine case. I tighten it up and then give the bolt end of the puller a quick smack with a hammer. Then I tighten a bit more and smack it again. That's the cowboy way but it always shocks it loose. I can't guarantee that you won't damage something like this so be careful. :thumbsup:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.