Newbie XR650L help needed. Thanks

8 replies to this topic
  • Hwy90Rider

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:31 PM

Hi guys-- I just bought an 01 XR650L and I love it. It was well maintained and very clean. The only mod has been a Cobra Model 30 Exhaust and the removal of some sort of airbox restrictor plate. Everything else is stock.

The bike runs okay. It backfires a little on downshifting(nomal??) and runs good. It doesn't scare the heck out of though when I get on the gas.

Any advice on what I need to do or buy to mak ethis bike run a little better would be appreciated. I'm guessing air filter and rejetting is in order but I know zilch about these things.

Should I leave it alone because it's fine or does it need tweaked. Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

joe

• goblin127

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:56 PM

You will want to use Dave's mod's from fourstrokes.com. Any ? just ask. In a pinch you can use the Dyna jet kits available from baja design. Most people would recomend 55pilot 160 main keihn jets air fuel tab ground down and 2 1/2 turns out needle shimmed.030 and the slide drilled .32 its all on the fourstrokes.com web site. Most people take the smog pump off the left side of the motor yours might be gone allready.

• cleonard

Posted March 10, 2006 - 12:09 AM

The bike comes real lean from the factory. The pipe and removing the intake snorkel just make that worse. Most important is to richen up the pilot jet. Changing it to a 55 is a good start. Do the 2 1/2 turns on the air screw too.

Adding a shim to the needle is easy as well. The needle only has one position for the clip, not several like a normal dirt bike. Just find a small washer (or 2) that fits the needle and put it under the clip to jack it up some (.030).

The grinding and drilling are a bit more complicated, and irreversible, so be careful.

• Muddin

Posted March 10, 2006 - 09:26 AM

I just bought a 2006 XR650L and I noticed the backfire to. But won't the jetting and smog removal void warranty? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 10, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I just bought a 2006 XR650L and I noticed the backfire to. But won't the jetting and smog removal void warranty? :thumbsup:

To my knowledge (anyone please correct me if I am wrong) It technically would void the warranty. However, that would likely be a subject of debate with your dealer. AFAIK any warranty claims would be subject to their approval/disapproval. I have an ’06 “L” also. I did all the standard mods. Exhaust, Dave’s Mods, Desmogged & Desnorked, etc. But then, I am really not to worried about the warranty, I do most of my own wrenching myself anyhow.

• lrutt

Posted March 10, 2006 - 12:46 PM

Not to worry though on an 01. But do the standard carb mods. If you piped it you def need it.

• Hwy90Rider

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:05 PM

I rode it on the hwy this evening. I was cruising along at 65-70 getting used to it. I got up to about 70 and decided to see how much power it has at highway speed. I gave it some more throttle but it didn't feel like it had too much left to offer.

Does this sound right to you guys? I rode it for about an hour around the country roads I live on and it runs fine. It just didn't have much left at 70MPH. I figured it would snap me a little if I juiced it going 70. Maybe it's normal since I don't know what to expect.

Also, how can you tell if an air cooled bike is getting hot? I could feel some heat around my knees and legs but I think it's normal for this type of motor.

Most of my riding today was spent at 50MPH in 4th and 5th. Sometimes 5th seemed to low and lugged so I kept the RPMs up a little in 4th.

Thanks for your help.

joe

• goblin127

Posted March 10, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I rode it on the hwy this evening. I was cruising along at 65-70 getting used to it. I got up to about 70 and decided to see how much power it has at highway speed. I gave it some more throttle but it didn't feel like it had too much left to offer.

Does this sound right to you guys? I rode it for about an hour around the country roads I live on and it runs fine. It just didn't have much left at 70MPH. I figured it would snap me a little if I juiced it going 70. Maybe it's normal since I don't know what to expect.

Also, how can you tell if an air cooled bike is getting hot? I could feel some heat around my knees and legs but I think it's normal for this type of motor.

Most of my riding today was spent at 50MPH in 4th and 5th. Sometimes 5th seemed to low and lugged so I kept the RPMs up a little in 4th.

Thanks for your help.

joe

Sounds about right;Uncorking will help with that alittle.They sell an oil temp dipstick that will give you some way to keep an eye on the temp.

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 11, 2006 - 06:36 AM

What mods have you done? Any intake, carb, exhaust, or gearing changes?

Slower riding means less air movement over the motor equalling higher temps. The only cooling mechanism is air flow. You can add an aftermarket oil cooler like the one for the XR400. This can help stabilze operating temps throughout the mph's. Changing the oil often is your best protection from oil breakdown for air head motors.

Thanks for your help.

joe

With stock gearing & stock tires shifting from 4th to 5th would be done between 50 - 65 mph, depending on riding conditions & traffic situations. These motors don't have much to offer in top end torque. They're mostly have a linear in pull throughout 3rd - 5th gears.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.