06 450f flame out w/rekluse

38 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted March 09, 2006 - 07:46 PM

Got a 06 450, 170 main, 48 pilot, 2 1/2 out on fuel screw. Rekluse clutch set up with a high engagment point and the idle turned up. My problem is that in a tite 1st gear turn, a couple of times a day, it will stall. That is when I crack the throttle it will "flame out". It is not stalling because of the clutch and it seems to be carburated perfect. The needle is stock but I am thinking of going one step richer. I know that richening the fuel screw should solve this but it doesn't seem to. I am pretty sure a heavy flywheel will solve this but until one is available, any suggestions?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 09, 2006 - 07:52 PM

I saw a friend of mine just today that swears a "power now" will cure that problem. Anyone have an opinion on that.

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:04 PM

I saw a friend of mine just today that swears a "power now" will cure that problem. Anyone have an opinion on that.

Not sure about a power now, but I did try a quick shot and although it seems to to help the off idle response, as if it needed any, it did not help the flame out.

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:08 PM

When you say, "crack the throttle", how far and how fast are you opening it?

Even properly set up, a thumper will only take a snap from idle just so fast, an most two-stroke converts seem to have a hard time learning to "roll" the throttle by opening it slowly at first, an increasingly faster as the engine responds. It will become second nature after a surprisingly short time.

I've ridden two '06's. One was as responsive as my '03. The other was still totally stock, an would not take the throttle as well as I though it should have. With the jetting changes, yours should at least be better than stock.

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:27 PM

When you say, "crack the throttle", how far and how fast are you opening it?

Even properly set up, a thumper will only take a snap from idle just so fast, an most two-stroke converts seem to have a hard time learning to "roll" the throttle by opening it slowly at first, an increasingly faster as the engine responds. It will become second nature after a surprisingly short time.

I've ridden two '06's. One was as responsive as my '03. The other was still totally stock, an would not take the throttle as well as I though it should have. With the jetting changes, yours should at least be better than stock.

I had a 250f since 01 but this is my first 450. For sure not a 4 stoke newbie. I had this same problem with my 250f with a auto clutch until I added a little flywheel weight. I was hoping I would'nt have to do that this time.

• SureBlue

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Try closing the fuel screw some. I think you have a rich idle bog, even not knowing your altitude and temps, but Alabama sounds pretty warm and low? Also, I have 48 pilot and fuel screw is 1,75 turns out at -5 Celsius, sounds your's is too much backed out. :thumbsup:

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:00 PM

Try closing the fuel screw some. I think you have a rich idle bog, even not knowing your altitude and temps, but Alabama sounds pretty warm and low? Also, I have 48 pilot and fuel screw is 1,75 turns out at -5 Celsius, sounds your's is too much backed out. :thumbsup:

I will try that. I have been assuming that it is a to lean problem but maybe not.

• TexN343

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:20 AM

On my 450 a heavier flywheel weight wasn't neccessary with the rekluse. I would do the jetting and even the quickshot be4 I would even consider a heavier weight.

• CRFThumper

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:30 AM

Alabama sounds pretty warm and low? Hey I resemble that remark! :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted March 10, 2006 - 05:48 AM

its too rich,drop to a 165 mj,and turn in the screw some(everyone is saying the 48 is the pj to use for 06,it might be too much for warm temps though). the rekluse is extremely sensative to rich conditions and you really have to stay up on jetting(to the lean side) more so than usual. if you don't have one get an adjustable fuel screw,so you can lean while your riding it, as the day gets warmer :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • undrdog

Posted March 10, 2006 - 07:39 AM

Listen to NCMOUNTAINMANS suggestion. My 05 450 did the exact same thing. And the Quick Shot did not change the effect at all. My jetting was to rich. The bike would run really well on cooler days, and would stall once in a while on the more humid warmer days, usually going into a corner when you chop the throttle off. Also, you could snuff out the motor if you blipped the throttle and did not stay on the gas. I called Rekluse, and they had one of their own bikes doing exactly what mine did. Jetting is more critical when using the Rekluse set up............

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 10, 2006 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, NC and I have chatted about that and guys sometimes get carried away with going too rich on thier jetting which creates problems like this.

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 10, 2006 - 10:02 PM

ok. I will try going leaner. Thanks for all the input.

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 10, 2006 - 10:32 PM

Sounds like your running rich to me as well, try leaning out the mixture and see what happens.

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:32 AM

OK. I went to 1 3/4 out on my fuel screw. That was a bit lean so I backed it out a 1/4 turn and that felt perfect. At 1/2 mile into a gncc race Sunday it stalled. Twice. I rode the rest of the race using the clutch. With a auto clutch that is weird. I am close to pulling that clutch. I have a new spring and washer combo for the fuel screw. I am thinking maybe it is loose enough to move and cause a stall. Am I the only one having this problem?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:05 AM

come down to a 165 mj, and if still stalling try leaning the clip a notch w/165mj. remember its getting warmer now. sounds like the pj is right but the other circuits must be also :thumbsup:

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 14, 2006 - 05:03 PM

come down to a 165 mj, and if still stalling try leaning the clip a notch w/165mj. remember its getting warmer now. sounds like the pj is right but the other circuits must be also :thumbsup:

I am going to try every combo possible this weekend. I suspect, to make it work like I want I am going to need a heavy flywheel. I hope I am wrong cause I sure don't want to spend another couple hundred bucks. But I can't live with it like it is. My 250 with a auto clutch did the same thing. The heavy flywheel was the solution. This is only a problem in a race situation. But that is when I need it most.

• Joe_Jet

Posted March 14, 2006 - 07:51 PM

If the bike is not responding off idle it would require a leaner Pilot Jet.

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 15, 2006 - 08:37 PM

If the bike is not responding off idle it would require a leaner Pilot Jet.

It is not that it is not responding, the problem is this. In a race situation when I go into a corner, with the auto clutch, I shut off the throttle and get on the brakes. The motor goes to idle and the clutch does its job and disengages. I make the turn and of course, being in a race, I nail the throttle. As everyone knows, with a four stroke, off idle, if you nail the throttle, it will stall. Of course the answer to this is role on the throttle in which case everything works great. For casual trail riding this is great. But in the heat of battle, that is not how it works.

I think my jetting is close to spot on. I am going to fiddle with it some more this weekend. But, I am afraid that the final answer will be to go back to my manual clutch.

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 15, 2006 - 09:36 PM

Thinking about it some more I think it has some thing to do with the clutch and not the fuel mixture. I bet if you run the idle way high it doesnt stall out. On my 426 I have a barnett basket and a hinson clutch and I have to rev it as I let out the clutch at a stop or it will stall (like a couple quick twists).

Maybe if you change out the springs it will allow the clutch pack to engage slower and not stall out.

Just an idea.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.