Welding the XR Cases???? Possible??

13 replies to this topic
  • thecirque

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:03 PM

My BRP took rock hit just below the oil filter on the lower part of the case. It's not the main case and not the cover but the inbetween case section. Service Honda says it's about $150 to replace.

I've developed a pretty decent oil leak at the smack point.

Anyone have experience putting a weld bead on these cases. I'm thinking of disassembling and trying to lay down some aluminum weld on it.

It's not a structural issue, just need to stop the hairline crack and prevent the oil drip.

thanks in Advance.

• Triple B

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:33 PM

A good welding shop should be able to do it. It is not going to look good and it is going to take some time to do because of all the oil impregnated in the Alum Casting. For best results clean it inside and out the best that you can and make sure the shop pre-heats the case with a oxy-acetylene torch. You can have it MIG Welded or TIG Welded.
Good Luck
It will probably make the area surrounding the weld a bit weaker / softer so I would look into a skid plate.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:34 PM

I've used JBweld to rebuild an oil passage in a cover, actually on the joint, so if you can get it clean JB will probably do it.

Dave

• 4whlfun

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:39 PM

I agree with the welding. A good shop should be able to weld and die grind it back down and light sand it to where you may not even know it is there. They weld aluminum heads for cars all the time. I have had it done and couldn't even tell where it was done.

• cleonard

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:42 PM

I'll second JB weld. One of my friends had a crack like you are describing, and JB weld has held for years on his bike.

• Triple B

Posted March 09, 2006 - 04:11 PM

JB Weld is a good product to carry in your tool kit to get you back home or thru the weekend. As a temporary fix. I would hate to be 50 mile out and have the JB weld get knocked of by another rock.
Spend a bit more time now and fix it right instead of a long night in the middle of the desert.

• Eric Henion

Posted March 09, 2006 - 04:19 PM

Clean it and weld it. If you were on the trail the JB weld is a good temp fix, If you use something that a "buddy" ave you and its description is epoxy aluminum filled its still JB Weld.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted March 09, 2006 - 07:55 PM

JB Weld is a good product to carry in your tool kit to get you back home or thru the weekend. As a temporary fix. I would hate to be 50 mile out and have the JB weld get knocked of by another rock.
Spend a bit more time now and fix it right instead of a long night in the middle of the desert.

I would put it on the inside so it couldnt get knocked off.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:59 PM

Last summer one of my sons smacked a rock with the clutch cover of his XR80R. I took it to a local welding shop and had it welded. This guy has a fantastic reputation as a welder but after two tries I said heck with it and bought another clutch cover on ebay. The welds looked great but still seeped just a bit of oil - just enough to make a mess of the cases and his boot at the end of a days riding. If it happens again I'll bite the bullet and replace it. SKID PLATE. :banghead:SKID PLATE :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I'll second the JB used it for years and allways been impressed.

• Triple B

Posted March 10, 2006 - 07:16 AM

I would put it on the inside so it couldnt get knocked off.

What happens when small piece comes off inside you case???????

• Supplicate

Posted March 10, 2006 - 07:52 AM

there are other options, like drilling and pinning it.

They used to fix the navistar diesel engine blocks (they had a tendency to crack) that way.

• coloredkid

Posted March 10, 2006 - 08:35 AM

I would just replace the case. A good welder would charge you probably around 100$ to fix the case correctly (depending on the location of the crack) and at that price i think i would just rather buy a new one and invest in a skidplate to prevent it from happening again.

• thecirque

Posted March 10, 2006 - 03:33 PM

The stupid thing is I had a brand new Utah Sport Cycle aluminum skid plate sitting on the bench in the garage when I did it. I knew better...just in a hurry to ride.

Now I'm paying the price. Thanks guys!!!!

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.