06' YZ450F Top end

9 replies to this topic
  • stroker101

Posted March 09, 2006 - 02:31 PM

anyone out there experience noise and vibration from there 06' YZ450F's?
i just bought one (new) and it seems rather strange to have the noise and vibs coming from a brand new machine.

it also was back firing and popping on decelleration, but has been some what cured by re-jetting the pilot to a #45. (dealer install)

took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal and they rolled out another new 450 and it sounded the same. they also contacted yamaha on this and they said everything is ok.

i'm feeling a re-call soon

• Ga426owner

Posted March 09, 2006 - 02:47 PM

anyone out there experience noise and vibration from there 06' YZ450F's?
i just bought one (new) and it seems rather strange to have the noise and vibs coming from a brand new machine.

it also was back firing and popping on decelleration, but has been some what cured by re-jetting the pilot to a #45. (dealer install)

took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal and they rolled out another new 450 and it sounded the same. they also contacted yamaha on this and they said everything is ok.

i'm feeling a re-call soon

This is the smoothest running 4str Yami I have ever owned
What noise that is what every yamaha has sounded like since 1998 :thumbsup:

Rejet to a 170main and a 48 pilot - you will be much happier

• stroker101

Posted March 09, 2006 - 02:51 PM

the top end noise seems to be the cams, chain and valves. the slight vibration...almost feels like crank bearings. (just off idle)

getting oil to the top end, verified by loosening the check bolt.

• ditchound

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:01 PM

Everyone who has ridden the new 06 say it is the smoothest 4 stroke they have ever ridden. Motocross action said it has NO vibration at all?? Why would you say you feel a recall soon?

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Why would you say you feel a recall soon?

Paranoia.

Probably his first big 4-stroke. There's a lot of stuff moving around on top of that engine, and no effort whatever was wasted on making any of it quiet. It's not a road bike.

Wait 'til he notices the gear rattle in neutral! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stroker101

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:32 PM

FYI gray,

your assumptions do not answer any of my questions.

no it's not my first big bore 4 stroke, nor is it my first mx'er. i've owned several 4 stroke mx machines and don't recall this much noise.

i recently was riding a 05 YZ250 2-smoke and just thought the the noise and vib was a little excessive.

just trying to get a feel if anyone else seems to feel the same or is this just the nature of the 06' beast.

• kelstr

Posted March 09, 2006 - 04:16 PM

FYI gray,

your assumptions do not answer any of my questions.

no it's not my first big bore 4 stroke, nor is it my first mx'er. i've owned several 4 stroke mx machines and don't recall this much noise.

i recently was riding a 05 YZ250 2-smoke and just thought the the noise and vib was a little excessive.

just trying to get a feel if anyone else seems to feel the same or is this just the nature of the 06' beast.

i can tell you this , we just took a new 450 apart because we were so amazed at how dam smooth it is and wanted to know what percentages yamaha used for balancing the crank and counter balancer was, so that same math could be applied to some bikes that are worse and vibrate like hell.
( and the o6 yfz modded was braking the cases so i wanted to see why the bike yzf was not)

and the bike yzf is set up really different than the norm.
they are running a fairly normal 65% of the rod for rotating weight and that is balanced into the crank,
and the 35% left of the rod is of course reciprocating --along with the piston package.

but here is where it is alittle different,----generally only 45% to 65% of the "total reciprocating weight is what the counterbalancer is at( kinda general rural but nothing is etched in stone).----
but the new 06 bike is 100% of the reciprocating weight put to the counterbalancer.
so it is very different and way smooth :bonk: :bonk:
very good job yamaha did.( this thing is the smoothest thing i have ever ridden )

now the fat tire bike or i guess i should say the yfz quad thing is quite abit different with a completely heavier set of bearings and countershaft and a different case with more support and all and for some reason when a big bore is added you really need to watch and make sure you re balance the reciprocating difference into the counterbalancer because it does shake the thing apart, :thumbsup:

i should know more on the quad thing and get a handle on what happened and why, ( i did not build these fat tire bikes but they both sure came apart and vibrated badly from what i am told ----so i have gremlins to chase down and try to See what the hell happened :bonk: :bonk: :eek: )

but the yzf is just fine, i can not believe you think it is vibrating , :bonk:

noisey, hell yes it is way noiseyier than you would amagine,---like gray said,--there is all kinds of crap moving around that you will here,
good lord listen to a rmz or kxf thing :eek: :lol: :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2006 - 05:13 PM

but the new 06 bike is 100% of the reciprocating weight put to the counterbalancer.

That's what I had heard. A rather far cry from the days when big thumpers (or twins, for that matter) had no balancers at all, no? It was never a question of if it would shake. You balanced them to make them shake in a particular rev range more than in another.

• kelstr

Posted March 09, 2006 - 06:38 PM

That's what I had heard. A rather far cry from the days when big thumpers (or twins, for that matter) had no balancers at all, no? It was never a question of if it would shake. You balanced them to make them shake in a particular rev range more than in another.

oh my god i know, those things would make a cr500 seem smooth like butter.
the guys these days do not know how good they got it,
both the 06 250 and the 06 450 are such good bikes it unreal.

for 6 or 7k its a steel, these things should be way more than 5 times that amount :thumbsup:

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:01 PM

Mine seems to make more noise when it gets hot. I have noticed it a couple of times. Once was right after I put on my auto clutch and was spending a lot of time at slow speeds getting it set up. I was so worried I pulled the clutch cover off to make sure everything was tite. But, I think the noise it heat related. Now I doen't let it idle long and keep the air moving. I've got a fair amount of miles on mine and it hasn't blown yet.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.