Front wheel rattles

7 replies to this topic
  • jdubsooner

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:12 AM

A former friend of mine crashed my bike last weekend (doing a wheelie) and among the long list of problems showing up is my front wheel seems to be loose. I have checked the axel and it is tight. I can grab the front wheel while it's on the stand and move it side to side like I'm rattling it. Does anyone know what would cause this? My forks are twisted in the clamps still from the crash and I haven't had a chance to adjust those yet because I haven't installed new bars yet. Any help would be appreciated. I tried a search but couldn't find anything. :thumbsup: My bike is an 02 wr426.

Thanks in advance.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:15 AM

Bearings and or broken spacer. Your ODO head may have damage as well. It's likely that it's just bearings, take the front wheel off and check everything out.

Your friend gonna step up and help fix it?

• jdubsooner

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:29 AM

He has offered but I'm not sure he knows just how much he's looking at. My subframe and exhaust are toast, new bars, grips, rear fender, etc...

Live and learn I guess.

• Few

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:33 AM

Lets see some pics?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:42 AM

Wheel bearings are most likely shot. It is common to go thru front wheel bearings once or twice a year. :thumbsup:

• jdubsooner

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Thanks guys. I'd post pics but we ain't got that there high speed internet out here in boondock, OK yet.

• RichBaker

Posted March 09, 2006 - 12:41 PM

Full floating brake discs develop a pretty good rattle just from age.....

• Bamster

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:26 AM

Sounds like bearings to me and if you ask me your freind crashing has nothing to do with blowing them. The stock Yamaha bearing don't last long and were blown before he crashed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.