upgrade debate

12 replies to this topic
  • idiot_on_426

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:30 AM

what is a better upgrade if i had to choose between one or the other. a boyesen water pump impeller or a boyesen quickshot AC pump cover for a 01yz426f. thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:09 AM

Do you have a problem that either of these parts will solve for you?

• Dano426

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:41 AM

Over heating = Boyesen water pump impeller
Bog on Acceleration = Boyesen quickshot AC pump cover

If you do not have either of issue than don't bother.

Have you done the 03 cam mod? Thats the first place I would start.

• 642MX

Posted March 09, 2006 - 04:25 PM

If I had to choose between the 2, I would get the quick shot.

The best mod is the 450 exhaust cam, the second is a JD Jet kit...IMO.

• Satch0922

Posted March 09, 2006 - 05:54 PM

neither are needed on this bike. But if you have money to burn....go for it.

• idiot_on_426

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:07 PM

i would really like to get rid of the bogg and have more response, so i guess the quickshot would be good

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:10 AM

on the 01 start with cleaning the carb thoroughly followed by jetting it properly. If that does not get rid of the bog then do the GB/BK mod

BK MOD INSTRUCTIONS

The quickshot will not cure a bog. That is a bigger problem.

• berudd

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:23 AM

I have never had an issue with my 426 bogging nor have I heard of anyone else with a 400, 426 or 450 having this problem. Before spending money, clean the carb and make sure it is jetting properly.

Have you had the suspension worked by a professional yet? IMO that is always first before any power mods. What was that tire commercial? Power is nothing without control.

• idiot_on_426

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:33 AM

i do have really nice provalve suspension, thanks though

• berudd

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:43 AM

Cool. Next thing for me would be brakes. An oversized rotor and SS line would be cool. My 426 is plenty fast and responsive. Better brakes would be nice though. But if you ride woods, that impeller could be nice. I rode mine there a couple of times and it blew coolant everywhere.

• idiot_on_426

Posted March 10, 2006 - 09:45 AM

ya i know, make sure you use engine ice for ur radiator, it works way better, but i like to ride everywhere, the track, glamis, woods, trails everything, my friend got the quickshot for his 03 450 and he said it made his bike rip!! but thanks for the info, ill look into the brakes

• idiot_on_426

Posted March 10, 2006 - 09:48 AM

does the cam mod only make it so i dont need the decompression lever or does it make the bike way faster too? and when you did it, do you just put the cam in or do you have to get a new chain, and adjustments. i red that big forum at the top of the page and still im confused, so what did u do, thanks

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 10, 2006 - 11:01 PM

does the cam mod only make it so i dont need the decompression lever or does it make the bike way faster too? and when you did it, do you just put the cam in or do you have to get a new chain, and adjustments. i red that big forum at the top of the page and still im confused, so what did u do, thanks

I've read that the cam mod does not improve the top end and even may decrease the bottom end power. I know that the primary benefit is that you no longer need to pull the decompression lever since it is built into to the cam. I dont think you have to do the chain but I'll let you know when I do mine. I gotta try it but not until I go high compression piston etc.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.