I-Cat xr650r

29 replies to this topic
  • Naru

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:14 PM

Even dyno tests can lie, but if done by unbiased individuals, can reveal quite a bit about any product (the 2006 Yamaha R6 'fib' comes to mind). But when no dyno tests are available period (I-cat could easily do several if they really wanted; if it was actually designed and engineered, there is no chance that they didn't dyno test it, which would call into question why there isn't loads of data on the unit), the product is highly suspicious. Companies have everything to gain by publishing cheap dyno charts, so if they dont...

As I understand it, the product was originally pandered by Nology as mentioned by Qadsan, but scrapped long ago. Unfortunately, the electrical system on a motorcycle is nothing more than a 'black box' for most people (good mechanics included), so it's easier to believe tall tales about a device like the I-Cat than, say, spray-on Ti-Nitride coating.

Here's a scenario I've actually joked about with friends. I could go out and buy spark-plug wire with a color coated jacket from China, start up a company named "Power-MX Inc.", and resell the cables at $80 a pop. Would people buy them with absolutely no more information than my sales brochure? Apparently, because that's what many people are doing with I-Cat, and $80 is far cheaper than $200. And the beauty would be that most people don't replace their corroded plug wires often enough, so everyone who tried it would notice easier starting and some residual power gains of a neglible amount (though many would 'feel a HUGE power jump by the seat of their pants'). And as a kicker, I could go track down a PH.D student at my local university, and offer a cut of the profits for him to 'certify the design' of the wire, just to motivate a few extra people to try it out. Then I could go get it tested in a 'reputable' publication like Dirt Rider; I recently read an article on an Acerbis headlight unit that actually fell apart during testing with them, but they still gave it 7/10. I call that good odds, especially when I advertise with them and give them a couple freebies.

In other words, paying for an I-Cat is half way to an Edelbrock carburator, which infact does increase power AND fuel economy by a few MPG (as tested on ADVrider.com). So, might just want to go with that.

Off the soapbox now. :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:19 PM

where can you purchase a phillips BY8424 diode??

You need to work on your Google-fu. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I Googled BY8424 and found several suppliers for that sort of thing. Not sure about order quantities and whatnot though. [shrug]

• qadsan

Posted March 18, 2006 - 08:42 AM

...As I understand it, the product was originally pandered by Nology as mentioned by Qadsan, but scrapped long ago...

I do remember commenting about Nology, i-cat and other ignition products making some bold claims, but I don't remember saying or implying that the icat was originally pandered by Nology :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

• Naru

Posted March 18, 2006 - 11:28 AM

Oh, no no no. What I meant and failed to say was that you had mentioned Nology, and that reminded me about several old tech docs I had read on their product, which from what I could tell was the same 'technology' that I-cat was trying to sell as some revolutionary device.

Sorry about implicating you in my rash generalizations. It's finals time for my college, so I didn't have time to read over my post before posting. :thumbsup:

• DGA

Posted March 18, 2006 - 11:56 AM

Well in Nology's case, I have used their stuff and HAVE noticed a power gain on both my crf450 and my 1997 mitsubishi 3000GT. A substantial gain was noticed on my 3000gt. But a car is different than a motorcycle. I used the Nology coil and wire together and noticed a difference on the CRF. As for the Icat, I wouldnt pay 200 bucks for one. Your not going to get 200 bucks worth of performance. Thats just my opinion. If you want to buy a different plug wire or performance coil which isnt necessary IMHO, then I would go for Nology. Personally I only swapped out my stock wire for a Taylor Spiro-Pro wire from a V-8. I noticed a little easier starting and a "little" more low-end. Its a cheap boost.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TMX

Posted March 18, 2006 - 02:41 PM

I'm talking before and after dyno with the same bike. If someone can show me an improvement in hp or torque the I-Cat has made, I'll be convinced.

Therein lies the problem. The Icat people claim that the improvement is "seat-of-the-pants" and can't be measured on a dyno. Frankly, that's nonsense. If it can be felt "seat-of-the-pants", it can be dynod.

It is the lack of concrete dyno tests that tells me the I-cat is snake oil, and I'd even go so far as to suggest that the majority of "gee, it seems better" reviews come from people who really, really want to see something for their two hundred bucks.

My opinion, with all due respect to those who have laid out the cash for one of these things, is that at $200, the I-cat is for suckers.

-Bob

• creeky

Posted March 18, 2006 - 08:24 PM

Someone please show us some scientific evidence that the iCAT improves performance, until then I will remain completely skeptical of the claims.

• weskc35k

Posted March 19, 2006 - 03:03 AM

I had two cr500's both in the same state of performance,and the iCAT fitted bike always pulled the other one,every time.Swap the iCAT to the other bike and hey the same thing a repeatable performance gain.
If one of the lads jumped on either bike without knowing if it had the unit on it they could tell me straight away if it did or did not have the iCAT fitted 100% of the time.Being able to hold higher gears under load was one of the benefits of the thing.
But hey if someone who has never used one,never seen one in action and never done the testing says they don't work,well that's good enough for me.
I won't buy another one ever.

• TMX

Posted March 19, 2006 - 03:57 AM

I had two cr500's both in the same state of performance,and the iCAT fitted bike always pulled the other one,every time.Swap the iCAT to the other bike and hey the same thing a repeatable performance gain.
If one of the lads jumped on either bike without knowing if it had the unit on it they could tell me straight away if it did or did not have the iCAT fitted 100% of the time.Being able to hold higher gears under load was one of the benefits of the thing.
But hey if someone who has never used one,never seen one in action and never done the testing says they don't work,well that's good enough for me.
I won't buy another one ever.

Well, as the original Austrailian Icat importer, can you really be expected to say anything else? I'm not saying you're being untruthful, but a "Because I Said So" from someone with a vested interest in the success of a product has to be looked at with a higher than normal degree of skepticism. Go do some independently verified dyno runs and get back to me with the results. If my product were that good, I'd have it done immediately.

-Bob

• weskc35k

Posted March 19, 2006 - 04:30 AM

Am out of the business on to other things,and i don't need to.
I know.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.