will the '05 triple clamps fit on the '06 YZ450?

6 replies to this topic
  • Moto-XXX

Posted March 09, 2006 - 12:14 AM

Hey boys, long time no see, eh?

Well anywho, I dropped the dime and purchased my spoiled little hard working self a spankin' new Yamaha 450 :thumbsup:

That being said, I love the piss out of the '05 forks, more so than the new '06 legs i'm afraid and was wondering if i ordered the GYT-R clamps and stem for my bike if they would fit or not?

thanks alot boys, and have a good un'

P.S. Yes, I still have my overly worked over RMZ, :thumbsup:

• Beanb1

Posted March 09, 2006 - 07:09 AM

The 06 triple clamps spread the fork tubes out farther (about 3mm). An 05 triple clamp will not work on an 06. If I understand your question though, will the fork tubes fit. They tube diameters are the same for an 06 and 05 so, if you are using 06 clamps, you should be okay. But, I would check the lower tube dimensions to make sure the space between hub and fork tubes will match. Wider spacing at top, wider spacing at the bottom. You don't want to pinch the tubes in at the bottom to fit a smaller space.

• Moto-XXX

Posted March 09, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, i just assumed the outer fork bodies were different for '06 so i thought i'd throw on the '05 clamps and go from there, but if the forks will then that's fine.

Also, about the spacing, i think it should work out just fine since the axle and front wheel is from the '06.

thanks dude

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2006 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, i just assumed the outer fork bodies were different for '06 so i thought i'd throw on the '05 clamps and go from there, but if the forks will then that's fine.

Also, about the spacing, i think it should work out just fine since the axle and front wheel is from the '06.

Not so fast.

The front wheel, axle and all the spacers are the same on both bikes. The difference in the fork tube centering (2mm wider) is made up at the axle lugs of the '06 forks; they are offset inward 1mm each.

So if you insist on doing this, you'll need to use the complete upper and lower clamp along with you '05 forks.

I have no idea why you would think your '05's are better than your new ones can be, but if you're going to sell the '06's, let me know.

• Moto-XXX

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:58 PM

So what ur saying grey is that i would have to use the '05 clamps then?

I hope so because that's what i was intending on doing.

Anywho, I don't know about the selling the '06's but I'll gladly trade them for any '05 forks.

I don't know why I like the '05's more either, i just have a better feel for them after i respring them, it's like a magic carpet for me.

• Moto-XXX

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:52 PM

Ok, so I need to use the '05 clamps as well then, correct?

I hope so because that was my orginal plan, anywho.

As for selling the forks, I didn't really want to but i'll trade 'em for a set of '05 legs under 10 hours.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2006 - 05:04 PM

The thing I don't know is how interchangeable the stem and bearings are, but yes, you would need the '05 clamps for the '05 fork.

IMO, you should work some with your '06's before you give up on them. I'll be really surprised if you don't like them better.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.