Detailed Clarke 4.3 review (XR650R)

5 replies to this topic
  • snaggleXR650

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Hello,

After years of wanting a new oversized gas tank, I finally bought a Clarke 4.3 for my 650R. From most reviews, the Clarke was preferred over the IMS. I thought I would share my personal experience.

1. Color match. I went with the red tank rather than the clear/natural that alot go with. The color match is pretty darn good and I'm very pleased with it.

2. Fit. The fit of the tank left a little bit to be desired. Most of this can be attributed to the smaller crotch (part that stradles the upper frame spar) as compared to the stock tank. I've got alot of extra wires going through this area (dual sport kit, etc...) and the Clarke is a snug fit settling onto the frame spar.

The bolt hole spacing for the tank mounts and rad shrouds are off a bit. The shrouds have to be squeezed/tweaked/bent around a bit to get the shroud/tank screws to go in. The whole installation of the tank and shrouds is quite a bit more 'fiddly' than stock.

The recessed areas where the upper part of the shrouds fit/blend into the tank is a bit off also. One side has a slightly larger gap than the other.

The angle of the tank/seat junction is off a bit also. The seat seems to touch the tank towards the bottom but stick up a bit at the nose of the seat. This puts a little extra upwards bend in the seat and caused a small slack roll in the stock seat cover. Sitting up close to the tank and putting weight on it seems to make it a bit better. The tank may break in/settle in a bit better after I get some miles on it.

3. Overall. After getting everything installed the overall appearance of the tank is very good. As mentioned there are minor nit picky details, but overall it looks almost stock. The feel of the tank when seated on the bike is good also. The tank doesn't feel any wider than stock at all. The location of the petcock is almost exactly like stock, I was able to use my old fuel line. Even though the tank hangs down further than stock on the left side, it seems like it's easier to reach the carb choke lever.

So far I would give the tank an 8 out of 10, as the installed product looks and feels good, despite the more 'fiddly' install.

I've heard alot of not so good stuff about the IMS tanks, most of what I've read about the Clarkes have been good. I was a bit disappointed with the 'fiddly' install, but I would buy another Clarke. Highly recommended, just don't expect a perfect fit, and perfect bolt hole alignment like stock.

• Max Power

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:40 PM

I wish my OEM tank fit as well. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:04 PM

I wish my OEM tank fit as well. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

There is just something about that pic that is just awesome. Ya got your pig jacked up on a log and a rock. Its beautiful.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Desertskyy

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:44 PM

I've heard alot of not so good stuff about the IMS tanks, most of what I've read about the Clarkes have been good. I was a bit disappointed with the 'fiddly' install, but I would buy another Clarke. Highly recommended, just don't expect a perfect fit, and perfect bolt hole alignment like stock.

I know that some have had some complaints about the IMS tanks. I would have to say mine is top notch. I have zero fit problems. I have the 4.6 gal tank and its fit, finish and color are real good. I also have had a real good experience with IMS direct(IMS customer service). :thumbsup: Last June, I was the victim of a high speed get off and bent my left IMS foot peg among other things. They sold me a set for about $20.00 cheaper than I could get from Rockymountain and threw in a new IMS hat and some stickers with my order along with a 25% discount coupon on my next IMS order.

Glad you like your Clarke tank

Good luck

• pigryder

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:27 AM

Glad to hear that about the clarke tank, Im still undecided on what tank for my "L" but I have a IMS on my "R" that I rate 10 out of 10. It fit great :thumbsup:

• RdrMtn

Posted March 09, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Well, I installed my new red Clarke 4.3 on my 650r today, and, I must say, I had the pretty much the same experience as snaggle. Shrouds didn't fit too well, but it works. Tank bolts to the frame perfectly and has good clearance everywhere. It feels a litte wider than stock. I think it makes the bike look even more badass. I rinsed the tank w/ some gasoline and a lot of shavings come out. The rubber strap securing the tank to the frame is now stretched out quite a bit more, but it should be ok. Holds 4.4 gallons according to the gas station pump. Overall I am very pleased!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.