hot starting

13 replies to this topic
  • millydog

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:33 PM

HI all just wondered if anybody could shed some light on a problem i have my xr600 1987 starts great from cold 1 or 2 kicks but after riding and engine is wormed up.if i stop and cut the engine it does not restart to easy if i leave it to cool down it starts 1 or 2 kicks again any help please.GARETH.

• pigryder

Posted March 09, 2006 - 01:23 PM

Dude check the valve clearances, they sound tight :thumbsup:

• millydog

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:41 PM

no not that checked and ok :thumbsup:

• weskc35k

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:51 PM

Man it's not a new bike,and even new bikes sometimes can be cantankerous.
It could be a range of things

• HawkGT

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:55 PM

Has it always done this or is this a new problem?

• HawkGT

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:02 PM

Just throwing out ideas-----> If it's always been like that then maybe the pilot circuit isn't jetted properly. Rich pilot jets start great cold but are tough to start hot. Where is your fuel screw set? Try leaning out the fuel screw and see if the condition improves.

• weskc35k

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:44 PM

Mate i figured out your problem worms are no good for dirt bikes,see when it gets wormed up it doesn't run properly,when you get rid of the worms it runs again.
I am so sorry,i couldn't help myself,you see i too am bored.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • millydog

Posted March 10, 2006 - 08:16 AM

wesk it cannot be a worm problem as i have not seen you anywhere near my bike :thumbsup:.Sorry could not help myself.the mixture screw is set 2 1/2 turns out from seated i will adjust it and let you now how i get on.cheers.

• weskc35k

Posted March 10, 2006 - 01:35 PM

It could be a worm problem because i am everywhere and yet nowhere,more often nowhere.
Man you will work it out,a bit of mucking aboot you will find it,but no more nightcrawlers.

• millydog

Posted March 10, 2006 - 02:30 PM

still no worm problem never had a problem with worms any time day or night in the uk.Just maggots on my pc. :thumbsup:

• weskc35k

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:22 PM

Gareth if you change in your first post on this thread an o to an a it might run better and cause a few readers to worry about my sanity.

• millydog

Posted March 10, 2006 - 11:07 PM

i worried about your sanity in ya first post.about the bike i am just going to stick some pedals on it so when i cant start it i can pedal it home :thumbsup:

• bigboredbiker

Posted March 11, 2006 - 03:11 PM

Mine does that as well...having rebuilt the motor I know its not valves etc, got to be the pilot circuit. I'm guessing the air passages have crap in them. Is it just me that finds removing the carb a pain in the rear or does everyone have a nightmare??
Getting the airscrew just right is another hit & miss job...2.5 turns out is about right in my opinion, depending on temp. etc. I adjust mine regular especially when its cold outside. Good old British climate eh??
ps where in the uk r u?

• millydog

Posted March 11, 2006 - 11:47 PM

hi i live just outside Coventry yes taking the carbs off is a pain done that cleaned and blown them out

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.