best tire changing tutorial?

13 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:13 PM

for a rookie? Long time rider. First time tire changer :thumbsup:
I Know there are a bunch! Read about 10 of them from searching, but they all "assume" a certain amount of knowledge, like what to do with the brakes and such!
I am a bike rider, have changed plenty of those, so I understand the tire on/off part, though 'breaking the bead' is new to me.
Thanks for any leads. :thumbsup:

• Max Power

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:34 PM

I Know there are a bunch! Read about 10 of them from searching, but they all "assume" a certain amount of knowledge, like what to do with the brakes and such!
I am a bike rider, have changed plenty of those, so I understand the tire on/off part, though 'breaking the bead' is new to me.

You are kidding right?

Posted Image

• drex

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:38 PM

I like this one on advrider:

http://www.advrider....ead.php?t=50717

• Pilate74

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:40 PM

dude,

All tire changing sucks.
Be paient and cautious of the tube. you should be be fine after that. No amount of force or temperment will change your outcome.

• Max Power

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Yep... Great thread.

Breaking the bead.... Whatever it takes.

Posted Image

• Max Power

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hey Wr 4fiddy. Got anything to add? Posted Image

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:49 PM

Yep... Great thread.

Breaking the bead.... Whatever it takes.

Posted Image

haha, I usualy just stand on it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:40 PM

You are kidding right?

Posted Image

Why on god's green earth would I bother to post if I was kidding?? :thumbsup:

• MindBlower

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:50 PM

That's excellent. Thanks! :thumbsup:

• ghoti

Posted March 09, 2006 - 05:54 AM

Get yourself at least three nice long tire irons.

• MindBlower

Posted March 09, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Get yourself at least three nice long tire irons.

Was going to ask about that. Awfully big price gap on those looking around a bit. Is it worthwhile to get the expensive ones? Forged? Want to get this done this weekend so I can get it inspected and plated next week. Can you find decent ones at non-motorcycle shops? TSC (Tractor Supply Center) or such? :thumbsup:

• 767driver

Posted March 09, 2006 - 07:10 AM

I've only done a couple of tire changes so I'm certainly no expert. There are guys on here that can provide valuable info on this subject, if they so chose. Having said that, in regards to breaking the bead I just used a good sized C clamp. It was something I had laying around anyway. The only mod to the clamp was a piece of angle iron that was welded to the top side of the clamp(I use it for welding pipe ).

I'm not sure if that little rig made it easier or not but the angle iron gave me more area on the tire. Hope that gives you something else to consider.

• ewbish

Posted March 09, 2006 - 07:20 AM

All I can say is, 30Gal Galvanized garbage can, upside down.

• ghoti

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Was going to ask about that. Awfully big price gap on those looking around a bit. Is it worthwhile to get the expensive ones? Forged? Want to get this done this weekend so I can get it inspected and plated next week. Can you find decent ones at non-motorcycle shops? TSC (Tractor Supply Center) or such? :thumbsup:

I don't know if you can still find tire spoons anymore. I would buy the best tools you can afford. Longer and a handle may be worth it depending on the tire you mount.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.