1/2 corked?

25 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Is there a part way to uncorked that lets the bike start/run better without the monster hp increase?
I REALLY wanted a 400. I LIKE small displacement bikes that I can run up through the gears without going 80mph. (I drive a Miata for fun :thumbsup:
But found my BRP on ebay located in my city and already dual sported and plated. Couldn't pass it up.
But I don't want huge power and the threat of looping it if I get a handful going over a bump or something stupid like that.
I perfectly content with the plugged POWER, if it would just start and run properly.
I know this is blasphemy to many of you.

• snaggleXR650

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:11 PM

Hey,
The BRP is a power/torque monster. It has a little torque hit on the bottom, but for the most part the power lays down pretty smoothly. It's not really a wheely machine.

As for going through the gears and not hitting 80mph, you got the wrong bike for that, corked or not.

Good luck.

• qadsan

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:26 PM

To get your bike to start easily, you need to confirm the following info.

1) Make sure the jetting is good (particularly the pilot jet & fuel screw adjustments).
2) Make sure your valve clearances are good (particularly the intakes).
3) Make sure your spark plug is in excellent condition.
4) Use a good starting procedure.
5) Make sure your idle is turned up enough.

As far as starting drills go for a cold engine, try this starting drill...

1) Turn the fuel on (make sure you have fresh fuel in your tank).
2) Put the choke on all the way.
3) Make sure you do NOT give it any throttle until after your bike is idling for a few seconds! Some people find it best to grab the front brake while kicking, which keeps your hand from twisting the throttle while you kick. Give this a try because it works.
4) Slowly kick your bike over until you find that point of stiff resistance at TDC. If you've found TDC and there's not a lot of resistance (perhaps due to the auto-decomp bleeding compression), continue to slowly kick the bike until you find that point of stiff resistance, otherwise your starting kick will be wasted.
5) Pull the decomp lever in and kick the bike just slightly past TDC.
6) Give it a firm but smooth kick without giving it any gas.
7) Repeat steps 4 - 6 until she fires up.

If the bike is warm or flooded, then you'll use a different starting procedure, but your bike should start easily with the above procedure as long as everything else is in check.

• hill5150

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Is there a part way to uncorked that lets the bike start/run better without the monster hp increase?
I REALLY wanted a 400. I LIKE small displacement bikes that I can run up through the gears without going 80mph. (I drive a Miata for fun :thumbsup:
But found my BRP on ebay located in my city and already dual sported and plated. Couldn't pass it up.
But I don't want huge power and the threat of looping it if I get a handful going over a bump or something stupid like that.
I perfectly content with the plugged POWER, if it would just start and run properly.

If you want a slow bike, get an "L" or a drz.................. :thumbsup: And then seek counseling.Sorry man couldn't resist, you have a fine piece of machinery there............don't ever leave her.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:16 PM

Uncorking doesnt really add an extreme amount of power, it just allows the bike to run right.

• Max Power

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:27 PM

Uncorking doesnt really add an extreme amount of power, it just allows the bike to run right.

Yep.... Don't waste your time. Buy a Vespa. :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:00 PM

Yep.... Don't waste your time. Buy a Vespa. :thumbsup:

ok?

• MindBlower

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:38 PM

ahh, bite me smug ones.
I have no problem with the power as is. And you most definately CAN run up through the gears without hitting 80. Wasn't talking about top end.
I'm responding to those that talk about post-uncorking and needing to be careful to not accidently wheelie, and wheelieing through the first 3 gears. I never bought a two smoke because I didn't care about that kind of power.

• cleonard

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:03 PM

It's no 2 stroke 500 uncorked. However, it's got a lot of torque on tap even at low revs, corked or uncorked. If you are riding in slippery snotty conditions, it can really spin that wheel at command. I'm a big guy so it's more of the rear end breaking loose rather than wheeling for me.

I'm no expert on this bike, but most bikes these days come with a pilot jet that is too lean. My XR600 became much easier starting after bumping the pilot jet up.

• GreenKLX

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:18 PM

Why not uncork it and then buy one of those throttles that has a longer turn till wide open?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:47 AM

loosen your bra strap and enjoy the power. You simply don't buy an xr 650r if you don't want to use the power.

• TimBrp

Posted March 09, 2006 - 04:18 AM

Another ignorant post. :thumbsup: The XR650R will go from 44hp at the rear wheel to about 52+ after uncorking. 8HP in a 300lb. machine is ALOT!

loosen your bra strap and enjoy the power. You simply don't buy an xr 650r if you don't want to use the power.

:thumbsup: :bonk:

• bork

Posted March 09, 2006 - 05:55 AM

I'll try & find you a 400, & swapp. OK ? :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:13 AM

Another ignorant post. :thumbsup: The XR650R will go from 44hp at the rear wheel to about 52+ after uncorking. 8HP in a 300lb. machine is ALOT!

18% isnt that much. Its not like putting a jet engine on it like he is affraid of.

• TimBrp

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:50 AM

18% isnt that much. Its not like putting a jet engine on it like he is affraid of.

So you come back with the percentages now, marvelous. Wasn't it you asking about exhaust systems not too long ago that add maybe 1%... :thumbsup: 18% HP/TQ increase is HUGE, ask any 650R rider that uncorked his bike. It is anight and day difference.

• HawkGT

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:57 AM

If you insist on leaving your bike corked, that's your choice. I would just leave the restrictive manifold and airbox inserts in place and then jet the bike using the same methods you use to jet any bike. Factory jetting is lean even with the restrictions. So, fattening up a touch (especially on the pilot circuit) should give you a bike that starts normally and runs stoichiometrically well.

To be frank, if your worried about looping it getting a handful of throttle going over a bump then you need to work on you riding skills. An uncorked XR650R is not an unmanagable beast. I think you should forget about leaving your bike corked and get accustom to the bike in its normal state. You'll be gald you did.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• MindBlower

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:11 PM

kiss my big fat johnson :thumbsup:

• MindBlower

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:21 PM

Ok, those hp figures have convinced me I'll be happy. My HawkGT was putting out about 50hp after mods and I loved it dearly.
I'm new to this group, wasn't even looking at the 650's. If you read all the posts there are numerous posts talking of "arm wrenching power", "hard to hold on", power wheelies through 3d gear, etc
I've been riding for more than 30 years, think I can handle 8 more hp.
Thanks to those with HELPFUL replies..............

• HawkGT

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:30 PM

Go HawkGTs!!

For street riding, the XRR is fun in a lot of the same ways as a HawkGT.

• qadsan

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:47 PM

As others have said, the bike is super easy to ride when uncorked. Let's put it this way, my wife is 5'6" @ 115lbs and she'll ride my 650R with a stage 1 cam, Moriwaki exhaust, etc. She'll just putt around it and it's definitely not her choice of bike, but she'll get on it and ride it just to prove to people that she can ride it. My kids have been riding our 650R's since they were 14 years old.

I love the 650r, but I personally find the power very well mannered and kind of boring compared to what I grew up on. No doubt the power is there, but it's so gosh darn smooth compared to some of the older explosive big bore 2 strokes I was used to in the 70's & 80's. You'll have no trouble riding it corked or uncorked if you've been riding for 30+ years :thumbsup:.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.