exhaust baffle?

12 replies to this topic
  • Bosco83

Posted March 08, 2006 - 05:53 PM

Hey the baffle in my bike looks different than the one in the free mod page. Should I just take off the end cap and then take out the internal parts and then just bolt the spark arrestor back in place and put the cap back on? Also my ais removal kit didn't come with any instructions and the dealer said to just look on here for them. Well anyway I don't see any instructions for the 450 ais removal under the free mods section? Thanks for your help guys.

Brian

• mudhog735

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:55 PM

The one on the free mod page is good only up to 2004. Yamaha doesnt make a insert for for 2005 or 06. I found one in the tt store for $56.00 something. A lot of members say they are great for the money.

• old man dan

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:47 PM

Order the pro-moto billet insert and replace the stock insert. The ais kit is really simple, do you have a manual for your bike. Just remove the entire ais setup and block the nipples for the various hose with the plugs from the kit.

• odonnks

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:27 AM

Its shorter, around 2 inches maybe.
Pull it -
Drill the rivets -
Use a long punch and hammer to tap (or maybe knock) it thru the outlet.
Bolt-er up !

• Bosco83

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:37 AM

Ok thanks guys I will try it tonight. If I don't remove the snorkel in the intake just leave it alone but remove The baffle do you think that I will have to re-jet?

Thanks,
Brian

• dbailey223

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:18 AM

You would probably need to go richer with the exhaust opened up

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Few

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:55 AM

You have to rejet the bike. I'm so anal I did one mod at a time and rode the bike after to make sure I did not screw something up....If I had a dollar for every seat/tank removal I have done.
It will run better with each mod. The bike is bogged down from the factory and needs to breath! Removing the AIS will keep it from poping on decel's, worth it!
500 other WR owners on TT could not be wrong, trust the advice.

• old man dan

Posted March 09, 2006 - 01:44 PM

You need to rejet even if you leave it fully corked, its way lean from the factory. Unless you live at high altitude (you don't say where in washington you live) order a 48 pilot and 168 main plus an 04 needle or just save time and get a JD kit.

• MKP

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:08 AM

Have the same question:
Can I ride without, the tail pipe and the spark arrester, just with the end cap????

• Matty05

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:12 AM

Have the same question:
Can I ride without, the tail pipe and the spark arrester, just with the end cap????

Yes you can! That's what I did before I got my pipe. Gives a good boost in power for free. Makes it sound like it should have from factory.

• MKP

Posted March 10, 2006 - 04:54 AM

Matty05,
Does it matter the nonexistence of a tail pipe that leads the flow of gasses through the muffler to the end cap ??? :thumbsup:
Any turbulence or counter-current ??? :bonk:

Thank you :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 10, 2006 - 05:44 AM

Don't quite know what you mean.
http://parts.yamaha-...&c=5,2078,2104#

I just removed the tail pipe (part number 10) and the spark arrestor (number 9).

The less restriction the better. It has internal baffles in it also, but I never bothered pulling them out. You have to pull the muffler apart to get to them.

• MKP

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:11 AM

Matty05,
I did the same, removed the tail pipe (part number 10) and the spark arrestor (part number 9).
I have been riding that way since June-2005 (1000 miles).
I have read that others guys have replaced the tail pipe (number 10) by a wider pipe, avoiding (I think) a difussion of gasses.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.