Best way to tune out the low end bog ??

16 replies to this topic
  • odonnks

Posted March 08, 2006 - 05:18 PM

From previous posts I asked about the best way to tune out a bog if the throttle is blipped off of idle either under load of not.
Its an 06 with all free mods:
JD kit with a 170 main jet, blue needle at #4.
This really helped cold starting.

Stock on the 06 is
Main #165
Pilot #45
Starter #65
Leak #50

The bog is still there. I just got the zipty screw but did not get it in yet.
From my understand, the zipty (or stock) fuel screw will increase the off idle response.
Is that correct?

Also, I read that the fine tuning of the accel. pump (AP), will improve off idle response.

Lastly, I also read that reducing the leak jet will help the same.

What is the best approach?

Thanks !

• nothingleft

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:14 PM

You may want to consider the Boyesen Quickshot. I installed it and there is absolutely zero bog.

• odonnks

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:40 PM

I'm not sure what that is? I'll check it out. Thanks

Did yours hesitate off idle also? Mine runs great if I roll it past a point just off idle but blip it and it stumbles.

Checked it out at :
http://shop.boyesen....bbe7fa23dcc7f0e

Thanks !

• mudhog735

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:02 PM

I would see where your fuel screw is set at. 1.75 - 2.0 turns out? See where you are at first. around 2.0 should get rid of bog. ( give or take a 1/4 turn) You might also want to run a 48 pilot jet....

• bg10459

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Try a #40 leak jet and a #48 pilot, fine tune with the fuel screw. The needle and main jet are probably OK. A #70 starter jet should help cold starts with the choke. The Quickshot is no quick fix. get the jetting right first.

• pkcof

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:45 PM

I agree ... #48 Pilot (have you changed the crap standard exhaust yet??) - as matty05 put it "the best thing to do with the standard muffler is to remove it, bash it against a tree and throw it out, then get a good aftermarket one"
Also, if you've done all of the free mods (inc. grey wire?) to increase performance and are still trying to push it through the peashooter, then this is certainly not helping

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:43 PM

switch to a 48 pilot
2 turns out on the screw for cooler weather
put in a 72 starter jet
red needle in clip #5 with stock pipe and air box
silver solder the 50 leak jet shut. or buy a #40 or #35 leak jet.

• odonnks

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:22 AM

I Have a bunch of leak and pilot jets on order an hope to have tehm by the weekend.

Indy, You mentioned the red needlw at clip #5.
Is that also true with the airbox mod, and ProMoto exhaust tip in original muffler?

Another question - The different needles - I understand they are profiled different but can some explane the effect of the profiles?
I think it is the narrower the needle the greater the fuel charge at that point in the throttle
Is that correct?

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moto5

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:22 AM

The Quickshot is no quick fix. get the jetting right first.

Good advice.

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:33 AM

JD 's blue needle is for real cold weather or heavily modded airbox and aftermarket pipes. Generally stock pipe with insert one should stay on the red needle and move it up and down one clip as needed for weather. :thumbsup:
You are correct about the diameter and fuel flow. But clip position on WR450's seem to run best with 4 or 5 regardless of the needle you pick. That is why I dont like Blue #3 over red #5 when they are very close to being the same except for the tips. :thumbsup:

• dbailey223

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:47 AM

So I'm clear on the leak jet soldering, closing it up lets no gas esape to the bowl, so you're doing that to keep the carb richer?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 09, 2006 - 12:55 PM

As far as jetting goes the 48 pilot for most situations is the way to go without a doubt. I can honesty say that you can achieve perfect jetting without having to deal with the starter jet or the leak jet. Yes, I have change the starter jet and leak jet on my bike and even installed an aftermarket AP cover but it's more like icing on the cake rather than mandatory mods. Even the stock needles on all these bikes are just fine and don't hinder 99% of jetting problems. It's all about the pesky pilot jet along with the Main.

I'm still surprised to see how many of you guys buy a jetting kit thinking that's the only way how to overcome poor jetting brought on by tough government emissions standards. All the info you ever need is in these threads and all the jets you'll ever need are at your friendly Yamaha dealers... We are great consumers aren't we?

• odonnks

Posted March 11, 2006 - 04:18 AM

After some tweeking -
Installed the ZipTy screw,
Backed off the main jet (went from 165 to 170 and now at 168)
Blue # 4
Tuned tuned AP buy removing the linkage slop - This was very easy and highly recommended to everyone.
After some test runs and adjusting The low end bog has been greatly reduced. but still there if blipped as fst as I can from a dead idle.
Today I'll try the red needle to see what th difference in accel is.

• Moto5

Posted March 11, 2006 - 06:25 AM

I'm still surprised to see how many of you guys buy a jetting kit thinking that's the only way how to overcome poor jetting brought on by tough government emissions standards. All the info you ever need is in these threads and all the jets you'll ever need are at your friendly Yamaha dealers... We are great consumers aren't we?

I guess that's what I have been questioning myself. I'm sure the JD jetting kit is nice but it sure as hell is not worth $70. The main jet is the only one ya really have to worry about anyway :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 11, 2006 - 11:32 AM

I guess that's what I have been questioning myself. I'm sure the JD jetting kit is nice but it sure as hell is not worth $70. The main jet is the only one ya really have to worry about anyway :thumbsup:

It's usually the Pilot and main, that's it... I can see someone spending 70 bucks on a jetting kit if they've never heard of places like Thumpertalk. JD does have his own tapered needles but I honestly couldn't feel the difference between his and Kehins.

I've met James and he's a real neat guy that knows more about jetting than anyone I've ever met, he's also a sponsor here at TT. But I feel that I would be doing an injustice to say that fellow WR members have to use his product to achieve the best results for their bikes. I'm being as honest as I can without being disrespectful to his product.

• odonnks

Posted March 11, 2006 - 03:53 PM

All Rightey Then .....

Another low end bog report....

Installed JD's red #4,
Main at 168
Adjusted the slop from the AP
ZT out 1 1/2
Reduced the Leak Jet to 35.

It was like a magic spell, Bog...Be...Gone !!!

No low end bog while in gear !!! Awsome acceleration !!

WaaaaaaaaHooooooooo !!!!

• OneToGo

Posted March 11, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Imagine if TT did not exist...:thumbsup:

All Rightey Then .....

It was like a magic spell, Bog...Be...Gone !!!

No low end bog while in gear !!! Awsome acceleration !!

WaaaaaaaaHooooooooo !!!!

All this from some simple and well guided TT advice...
this place is GREAT!! :thumbsup:
Colin

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.