anyone got the time (ing)... (HELP!!!)

3 replies to this topic
  • xrracer36

Posted October 01, 2001 - 04:34 AM

my 98 wr400f keeps jumping time... it ran just fine last saturday (i raced it), and went riding sunday and it stranded me in the woods. checked the timing... was out of time on intake sprocket (which explains why it felt like it lost compression.) I put it back in time, and it ran better than before, and would idle much stronger (also, explained by being slightly out of time.)
then, yesterday, i got it out of my trailer to race and just barely got it started before it did it again.. luckily i was trying to sell my cousins 00 rm250, so i didn't lose points in the series and raced it.
back to the wr...
when we checked the timing the first time, we removed the tensioner, and could pull the chain completely off the cam sprockets and rotate them without removing them from the shafts.
I think the chain is stretched.... so what all do i need?
1)timing chain
2)tensioner guide
3) any thing else???
thanks
xrracer36
(i race a modified xr200 in the 125 class, which explains the name...had i gotten the wr first, it would be wrracer36)
P.S. why did my cousins rm 250 make me faster than usual for that race... i cleared jumps i normally do in 3rd gear on the wr in 2nd on the suzuki, easily...
p.s.s. a stock yzf pipe installed on the wr makes it runs like crazy... most yzf owners ditch the stocker for an aftermarket asap, but the stocker is one of the best performing pipes anyways.. they can be found cheap.

• Bill

Posted October 01, 2001 - 03:14 PM

I have heard on this forum, of the gear slipping on the cam. Just a thought.

Where did you race, I was at Happy Ramblers yesterday (District 7).

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, de-octopussed (Thanks Clark) EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ, 100PAJ and 65 SJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GPS Dual Sport

Posted October 01, 2001 - 03:30 PM

I was lucky and changed my cam chain before it jumped timing. My 98 WR was making alot of noise when it got hot. The cam chain was replaced along with the guides.
Any other folks out there with high mileage `98 bikes should be checking for cam chain slop.

zaknavage
old guy and GPS geek

• xrracer36

Posted October 02, 2001 - 06:19 AM

i am picking up the new cam chain tonite.
i had to order the flywheel puller and a new throttle cable... it frayed on the return end...
ALSO: does anyone know where i can get a throttle stop? when i got this bike it was already removed... it wasn't super-strong on top-end, so i investigated and found out this is the cause...if the stop is totally removed, not just shortened, the throttle position sensor can't read the throttle position when at full throttle (i'm getting tired of typing "throttle"..lol) and the computer doesn't know what to do, so it acts like a rev-limiter...
+: has anyone set their wr to yz-timing? how big a difference did it make?

[This message has been edited by xrracer36 (edited October 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by xrracer36 (edited October 02, 2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.