Advise: CRF450 or YZ450?

28 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:50 PM

I like both bikes, but can't seem to make a decision on what to get. I had an 06 WR, but it was a tank. Great bike, but not for the track. Too heavy.

Any Ideas to help me decide. :thumbsup:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

• Hockey66

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:02 PM

06 YZ450F...

Awesome!

• twenty34

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Yes, I am very aware of this. Can I ask what mods, if any, that are required with a stock bike? The WR required all kinds of work to make it ridable, but well worth it.

Any insight/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

06 YZ450F...

Awesome!

• N_Boyd

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:42 PM

If your going to ride it on the track, there really isn't much. Yamaha has the most reliable 4 strokes. I'd keep the motor stock, it makes pleanty of power, lower the forks to the first notch, change out the front tire(it dosn't get hardly any traction, get a new chain the stock is only good for a few hours, set the sag, grease bearings, and ride! :thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:47 PM

So basically, just stock is fine, eh? No jetting, airbox, etc to deal with? Nice. On the WR, I had to do a bunch of stuff due to the AIS crap. What do you recommend for the front tire, BTW?. Also, is the stock gearing fine?

thanks!

If your going to ride it on the track, there really isn't much. Yamaha has the most reliable 4 strokes. I'd keep the motor stock, it makes pleanty of power, lower the forks to the first notch, change out the front tire(it dosn't get hardly any traction, get a new chain the stock is only good for a few hours, set the sag, grease bearings, and ride! :thumbsup:

• Idaho_Stas

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:56 PM

What do you recommend for the front tire, BTW?. Also, is the stock gearing fine?

thanks!

I switched to a Maxxis IT and it made a world of difference. Lots of guys are dumping the stock 739 and going to a 756.

Stock gearing should be fine for the track. Some guys are dropping a tooth or two on the rear.

• 426boy

Posted March 07, 2006 - 09:26 PM

my vote the yz but the crf is good too

• yz_for_me

Posted March 07, 2006 - 09:35 PM

Both will get you around a MX track in a hurry. I wouldn't sweat the slight performance difference between the two very much. Either one can be set up to your liking and from a performance standpoint you can't go wrong with either color. However, since this is the Yamaha forum, I've gotta put a plug in for the blue bike. If reliability matters to you, I would give the nod to the YZ.

• RoughR1der

Posted March 07, 2006 - 09:55 PM

go with the YZ! i've been a red rider forever but finally made the switch!

good luck

• N_Boyd

Posted March 08, 2006 - 12:11 AM

So basically, just stock is fine, eh? No jetting, airbox, etc to deal with? Nice. On the WR, I had to do a bunch of stuff due to the AIS crap. What do you recommend for the front tire, BTW?. Also, is the stock gearing fine?

thanks!

I like the stock gearing. My jetting was fine, it back fired alittle, but doesn't now that it has warmed up, but some guys on here said that their's was too lean and it comes with two extra main jets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RoughR1der

Posted March 08, 2006 - 01:12 AM

Yes, I am very aware of this. Can I ask what mods, if any, that are required with a stock bike? The WR required all kinds of work to make it ridable, but well worth it.

Any insight/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

look at my post here

• boyonblue52

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Go with the yz....ive heard that the exhaust vavles in it need adjustting a lot more than the yz. I am a huge fan of honda over yamaha but i mean if your looking for the better 450 stick with the yz....i love mine to death!

• twenty34

Posted March 08, 2006 - 01:33 PM

thanks.

look at my post here

• yamahateen14

Posted March 08, 2006 - 01:56 PM

could ne one tell me what the top speed and hp are for the yz 250f and the 450f im trying to decide which one to get bu i want to know too speed and hp..

• Zique

Posted March 08, 2006 - 02:08 PM

go with the YZ! i've been a red rider forever but finally made the switch!

good luck

Likewise...an unfortunate accident promoted my switch, but I'm pretty happy with it.

• Zique

Posted March 08, 2006 - 02:11 PM

could ne one tell me what the top speed and hp are for the yz 250f and the 450f im trying to decide which one to get bu i want to know too speed and hp..

have you tried bikez.com? They generally have pretty good stats on bikes.

• RAMARION

Posted March 09, 2006 - 03:52 PM

their both SWEET Rides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but then, I sold my 05 CRF 450 with 5 races and purchased the 06 YZ 450 when it came out...............it's the BEST Bike I've ever ridden to date........

• twenty34

Posted March 09, 2006 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the advise. It's weird, just when I decide on the YZ, I read an article that puts the CRF in the lead. Depending on which reviews you read, it's all over the place!...

Also, can I ask what you paid OTD? Also, was the dealer in SoCAl? I had a dealer just quote me $6800. I had to laugh. The price of the CRF sure is attractive however.

Thanks!

their both SWEET Rides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but then, I sold my 05 CRF 450 with 5 races and purchased the 06 YZ 450 when it came out...............it's the BEST Bike I've ever ridden to date........

• Dirt Demon

Posted March 09, 2006 - 06:18 PM

My 6 year old daughter says blue bikes rule and red bikes drool. the only difference I can see is blood being more visable on a blue machine LOL.

• twenty34

Posted March 09, 2006 - 06:44 PM

:thumbsup:

My 6 year old daughter says blue bikes rule and red bikes drool. the only difference I can see is blood being more visable on a blue machine LOL.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.