Wr 450 Banging Rear Shock

9 replies to this topic
  • mrcasull

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:04 PM

I just picked up a 450 and I'm trying to get everything set up for it's first trip. I am set the sag in the rear and now when standing next to the bike you can push down on the seat and let go you here a bang when the shock returns and stops. Im a 200 lb rider and I have about 1 1/2" of threads left on the shock so I don't think that I need a stiffer spring but that clunk sound just does not seem right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot

• MotoRick

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:29 PM

It's just the sound of the shock topping out with no weight on it. With a rider on it you probably wouldn't even notice it. If you do, slow the rebound a bit and take a little off the spring preload. At 200 lbs., though, you are definitely beyond the stock spring's rating, which is about 150-160 lbs. for a fully dressed rider.

• Frostbite

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:34 PM

Get it checked out, it may be the linkage binding. I broke mine landing a nice little jump. The suspension compressed and never came back. Took me 5 minutes to pry the seat outta my a$$. Wrecked the linkage and snapped the shock, and the shock is expensive. :thumbsup:

• The Blue Trail Rider

Posted March 07, 2006 - 05:20 PM

I had the very top bushing get worn out so bad it did the same thing. I would wiggle and shake and try to find where the slack was. If it is on the stand and there is any play, it's bushings. If there is not, it is just the top out because how much spring load you have on it. Check it though. I've seen bikes at the track bind up like Frostbites before. It's painful and expensive!

Eric

• mrcasull

Posted March 07, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Looks like there is a little trend comming out here with the top out. The next question where would I be able to get a spring rated for my weight? One more thing is I have to thank everyone on this site. I'm not a fixer upper I'm the rider. All the info I've picked up from this site since I've been looking is a great help and you guy's perform a great service for the beginner. Thanks alot!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoRick

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Get it checked out, it may be the linkage binding. I broke mine landing a nice little jump. The suspension compressed and never came back. Took me 5 minutes to pry the seat outta my a$$. Wrecked the linkage and snapped the shock, and the shock is expensive. :thumbsup:

Dude, no offense, but that amount of damage comes from a long period of neglect and abuse, not a single incident. I can't believe you didn't have some symptoms of an impending failure prior to the jump that resulted in that much damage. :thumbsup:

• MotoRick

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Looks like there is a little trend comming out here with the top out. The next question where would I be able to get a spring rated for my weight?

I prefer Race Tech, but any of the suspension companys can set you up. You might even find one right here in the TT store.

One more thing is I have to thank everyone on this site. I'm not a fixer upper I'm the rider. All the info I've picked up from this site since I've been looking is a great help and you guy's perform a great service for the beginner. Thanks alot!

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

• JDrooster

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:30 PM

I've been talking to Matt at ActiveRide Suspension about springs for my 99 WR400. He is awesome to work with and really knows his stuff. He can get you any spring combo you need for a great price. -Jerry

• Frostbite

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Dude, no offense, but that amount of damage comes from a long period of neglect and abuse, not a single incident. I can't believe you didn't have some symptoms of an impending failure prior to the jump that resulted in that much damage. :thumbsup:

None taken MotoRick. I'll be the first one to tell you that my maintenance isn't always what it should be and I put a lot of miles on my bike, but I don't think that's what caused the suspension failure.

The rear suspension showed no signs of problems before it snapped. Everything was smooth and no clunking. I ride in a lot of rocky areas here and my best guess is that I cased it on some rock and damaged the U shaped suspension link, maybe cracked it.

The real damage happened going over a low but fast double. I came up short and hit the upside of the second jump hard and felt the suspension flatten. Maybe the link broke when I hit. Then I bounced off of the 2nd jump and landed with no suspension. When the link lets go the rear shock can float around and I'm guessing it got jammed in the swingarm and linkage which had enough leverage to snap it.

I wanted to point out to Mrcasull that a small linkage problem like his clunking can cause big troubles.

I'm always open to constructive critism....sometimes. :thumbsup:

• dbailey223

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I got my shock from the TT store--it's a Eibach. You use the race tech site to figure out what spring you need, and Eibach's appear to be about $10 cheaper.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.