Is wr450 match for yz 450 inc. free mods

12 replies to this topic
  • Tau

Posted March 07, 2006 - 12:39 PM

:thumbsup: I am busy buying a new bike and was set on the new Yz450. However reading about all the free mods on the wr and then spending on the tank and dampner that the yz would have needed anyway how far will i be from yz type performance. I do oofroad racing so the wide ratio gearbox and electric start is attractive and nice to have after a couple of hours in the seat.

I do not expect the wr to out drag and perform the yz totally, but atleast have enough positive's in "mod" form to run with the yz on long races

Costs for modifying the yz gearbox to be able to run high speeds should also be considered :thumbsup:

• freestyle250

Posted March 07, 2006 - 02:59 PM

:bonk: I am busy buying a new bike and was set on the new Yz450. However reading about all the free mods on the wr and then spending on the tank and dampner that the yz would have needed anyway how far will i be from yz type performance. I do oofroad racing so the wide ratio gearbox and electric start is attractive and nice to have after a couple of hours in the seat.

I do not expect the wr to out drag and perform the yz totally, but atleast have enough positive's in "mod" form to run with the yz on long races

Costs for modifying the yz gearbox to be able to run high speeds should also be considered :thumbsup:

I bought my '05 WR because we wanted to ride some trails that were closed to off-road vehicles. So I plated it and it was good to go. But I also wanted it to run with the other bikes out on the track. So I did the free mods and it ran great, but still lacked a little bit out on the track. But nothing that really left me far behind. So for my birthday I got the JD jetting kit, and the AIS removal, a good improvement. Much better throttle response. Then, a crash on the track "forced" me to upgrade my pipe :bonk: And let me tell you, the bike absolutely rips now :bonk: I am more than pleased with the performance. All said and done, I have spent about 350.00 on performance upgrades. So with a little bit of work, and not much extra cash, you can have a fast as nuts bike with an electric start :thumbsup: I havent had a chance to run with my buddy's 450 yet, but i am very anxious to see what happens.

• twenty34

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:35 PM

The only problem is the WR is 30lbs heavier than the YZ. The WR gearing will also be much faster than the YZ. Need to decide where you will do most of your riding. The track - get a YZ and be very happy. Desert, trail riding, even with the weight, you will love it, but you won't love it on the track. You will like it, but not love it. The extra weight becomes really noticible, but the extra start it very nice to have.

I bought my '05 WR because we wanted to ride some trails that were closed to off-road vehicles. So I plated it and it was good to go. But I also wanted it to run with the other bikes out on the track. So I did the free mods and it ran great, but still lacked a little bit out on the track. But nothing that really left me far behind. So for my birthday I got the JD jetting kit, and the AIS removal, a good improvement. Much better throttle response. Then, a crash on the track "forced" me to upgrade my pipe :bonk: And let me tell you, the bike absolutely rips now :thumbsup: I am more than pleased with the performance. All said and done, I have spent about 350.00 on performance upgrades. So with a little bit of work, and not much extra cash, you can have a fast as nuts bike with an electric start :thumbsup: I havent had a chance to run with my buddy's 450 yet, but i am very anxious to see what happens.

• AgentZ

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I brought my WR home last weekend, and while I haven't had it out to the desert yet, I have had the chance to take it for a spin close to home (Some streets, a bit of dirt but nothing exciting) My first impression was incredibly good, I am very happy at this point. I spent a lot of time reading on these boards before making my final decision, I also talked to a couple of dealers which where very informative.

• jerryls

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:25 PM

The only problem is the WR is 30lbs heavier than the YZ.

And it feels about 100 lbs heavier towards the end of a long hare scramble.

Awesome trail bike, a little heavy for racing.

Jerry

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 07, 2006 - 09:17 PM

I will say I am much much faster on my YZ than I was on my WR. The YZ just flat out has more power and is much easier to ride fast. The YZ feels so light, in the air and on the ground. As far as racing, I would get my fat ass kicked on either bike, so that doesnt really matter for me. However, if I am faster on a YZ I would assume you would be too. I have done some mods to make it more WR like, including gearing, 18" rear, and a Rekluse to come soon. I will also get a bigger Clarke tank when avaliable and I have had my suspension fully re-worked with Race Tech components for my weight(275). For me, I am just way more comfortable on the YZ, it feels much smaller and much more 'flickable'. I rode my buddies WR at the end of the day, it was nice but felt very 'tankish' and tall. The power was noticeabley(sp) less, but its not like the WR's are lacking for power. I guess it just depends what it is you really want, and where you really want to put your aftermarket dollars.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Punisher660

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:48 AM

It is a really tough call. I miss the light flickable feeling of some of my other bikes, but I have to admit that there are some great advantages to the WR. Like being able to see at night! I have had several trips that ended with us coming back at night - all the CRFs, YZ, etc...are crowding around my bike trying to see with my headlight :thumbsup: Also, the gear box is really nice with an ultra low 1st gear - We do a lot of technical trails and it is great being able to lug the bike that slow and not have to feather the hell out of the clutch to stay moving (maybe a rekluse could fix that, but I would rather have the proper gearing)

It does feel like it weighs a ton on the track though - I can be competitive on it, but I would like to dump some weight if I were to race more motocross. I think the tank is the biggest issue - it holds an extra gallon which is an extra 8lbs up high, the front end feels heavy - pull the lights, odometer, hub stuff for the odo, and you shave another couple of pounds -

Overall, I would love a new aluminum framed YZ setup for offroad, but I'm not willing to sell my WR to get it. You really need both in the garage! I would rather have the WR on a Moab trip or a Baja race, and I would rather have the YZ on the track - I know I probably brought up more questions than answered :thumbsup: but good luck - you will love either.

• odonnks

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:56 AM

If you plan on night riding or open space riding go for the WR. If you want to ride tight woods or rock trails, go for the WR.
The heavier flywheel will help prevent stalls and the necessity to rev while crawling through tight areas.
The WR has an extra gear.
What is your weight ? At 175 lbs 6'0" I save allot of weight over most riders my height that are 225 lbs plus. The bike still needs to pull itself and the rider no matter what.
Loose the AIS, kickstand and a different pipe to save 5 easy lbs.
Run without the battery if you want, put it back when you want.
Where you will see a difference is after throwing it around awhile.

• Tau

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:47 AM

thankyou guys I got a quote today $12171 for a yz 450 fitted with wr gearbox and clarke tank dampner cycra handgaurds and o-ring chain. This might seem heavy , but in South Africa Wr450 stock is $10725. so i think the fact that the bike will be fitted with a wr gearbox makes it the winner

• dbailey223

Posted March 09, 2006 - 11:51 AM

Wow, on the price. Wonder what an one way airplane ticket would be to ship the thing from the US?

• Matty05

Posted March 09, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Wow, on the price. Wonder what an one way airplane ticket would be to ship the thing from the US?

Not really, I paid $11,200 for my 450 and $10,600 for the 250.
My mates got yz450's with me and they were $10,200.

• Matty05

Posted March 09, 2006 - 04:20 PM

You don't have to modify the gearbox to run high speeds on the YZ, just change gearing.

My WR450 was only a match for my mates YZ450's when I bolted on a MX race pipe.
A stocker WR450 makes about ~37hp and a stocker YZ450 makes about 50hp.
The WR's are really really really choked up!

My bike makes about the same as a stock YZ now, maybe a little more going by feel.
The weight difference is unbelievable.

I would get a YZ450 simply based on weight alone. Those new YZ450's are so sweet!

• wcrhillbilly

Posted March 10, 2006 - 07:54 AM

you will have to pay export fees and import fees and a broker fee to get it released through customs not a healthy idea! how ever!
maybe a one way ticket to the states
and you make a wood boat than runs like a paddle boat
attach a sprocket to the paddle hook chain from your sprocket to the paddle
then bolt front tire into a holding mechanism that goes into the water for a stearing rudder
dont forget lots off gas and a oh crap radio just incase
and then start that baby up and cruise in the water!!!!!!!

if this offends anyone sorry its just a hillbilly point of view!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.