XR650r or CFR450r

17 replies to this topic
  • hairball

Posted March 07, 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hi All,
Well it's been quite awhile since I have posted here. It's a great forum just to sit back and read all your input on so many things. Know, I need some help on purchasing a used bike. I have just sold my 2000 XR400r street legal. My question is, I really want to do another one in XR650R but the prices here are just about the same for a CRF450R. What would be a better option to go with the XR or the CRF? Can the CFR engine handle the RPM's as good as the XR can? What motor will last longer? What motor will be more trouble free?? All I want to do with the bike is to make it street legal and run about town with it.
Any replies would be very helpful :thumbsup: .

If you have any pictures of your XR's or CRF's can you post them here so I can take a look. Thxs

• SpringChicken

Posted March 07, 2006 - 10:27 AM

The XR sounds like it would suite your needs better. When I saw the title of your post, I was gonna say go with the CRF because it is more of an all around bike. After reading your post, it sounds like you're not going to be jumping, or leaning the bike hard. Those things the CRF would be better at because of weight. So I guess go with HP and reliability..go XR.

• INI

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:48 AM

hairball,
funny that you just posted this....I was gettting ready to start the same exact thread..

any thoughts please share them with us....

• qadsan

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:54 AM

... All I want to do with the bike is to make it street legal and run about town with it...

With this in mind, then dfinitely the XR hands down. The 650r engine is a simpler design, easier to maintain, has a more reliable + longer lasting engine & gearbox, can easily cruise at higher speeds for sustained periods of time, etc. It's also a good off road machine for fire roading, desert racing or just flat out hauling ass, but its also a super easy bike to ride. If you were going to be riding MX tracks or plan to ride agressively off road (mx style or tighter hare scamble courses, etc), then definitely look at the CRF. Another bike to look at would be the CRF450'X', which has electric start. Yamaha's WR450F is another nice bike to check out. It's reliable, long lasting, quick, has electric start, a good reputation, etc.

• hairball

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:59 AM

INI,
I just fell in love with my XR400 and really want to get into another Honda. I'm a huge fan for the 4 strokes, I've asked the questions because some people are telling me that the CRF engine is to "race engine" like to handle to street, where I found the XR400 engine to be good but I want more power/acceleration. So I know I will get the answers here that I need to make my decision. :thumbsup:

• Potts228

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:01 PM

INI,
I just fell in love with my XR400 and really want to get into another Honda. I'm a huge fan for the 4 strokes, I've asked the questions because some people are telling me that the CRF engine is to "race engine" like to handle to street, where I found the XR400 engine to be good but I want more power/acceleration. So I know I will get the answers here that I need to make my decision. :thumbsup:

I have both the XR650R and a CRF450. I think you are talking about two bikes that are in a way extreme oposites. If you plan on freeway then you really need the XR. If you want lighter weight and a canyon carver then I would go the CRF450. Four duel sport on tight trails I would opt for the CRF but higher speeds the XR. For reliability, hands down the XR. Not that the CRF would break down, it's a pure race engine that needs high maintenance meaning higher costs to own.

I think the simple answer is you gotta get both!

• wickedsprint

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:19 PM

If the CRF450 is in your considerations so should the Yamaha WR450F, I would shy away from the honda 450s for the engine issues.

• skidxr

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:38 PM

You guys with the 650's... Do you still take them on single track? Any tight technical stuff? I was just wondering if the tight stuff sucks bad enough that you just don't want do to do it.

• 4whlfun

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:00 PM

I take mine out on the single tracks. Every one told me it would be to heavy. But I wanted something I could feel comfortable on the road with also. I am 6ft 235lbs. To me the bike feels great. I can run the river bottoms full out. Dust just about everything else out there. I stalled it once on a very bad and technical hill. Bought a Recluse, going to see how I like it. I don't know how it will be on the road? Any tried dualsport with a Rekluse?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:29 PM

It depends on how fast you want to ride through town, a crf would be able to take the corners much faster and have about the same acceleration. Like wicked said, look into the wr450f. I would say the wr is more of a street bike than the crf and the electric start is quite the feature. The 650 is the better street engine, more power, more reliable.

If you just want a dual sport, look into XR650L's, street legal from the factory. The XR650L is probably the most reliable engine there is, although it isnt the best performing.... I will be riding my 1998 XR650L (pictured below) on the street this year and from the little I did last year, it performed great! It isnt the greatest in the dirt due to its weight (350 pounds) but that weight adds stability at high speeds, little winds dont blow you off the road. I could easily get away from cops on it, at least in my town, because I know of so many wooded areas I can get through. That and its faster than any Crown Vic.

If you plan to do a bit of running from the coppers in a city setting, the crf would probably be the better pick because it handles fast, tight corners better. It would also be better for darting through yards and what ever it takes to get away.

The XR requires much less maintenance than the CRF and will last longer. If it were my choice, I would take the XR over the CRF because its much more of a street bike, its overall design is much better for the street than the CRF, it is more stable at high speed and it can handle motoring at constant speeds.

The simple fact is that the CRF is pretty much a strict dirt bike, its made for jumping, tight trails, and throwin dirt. The XR650R is a pretty good dual sport, however if your looking for a 50/50 dual sport, the XR650L is the way to go.

If your set on either a CRf450 or a XR650, and it will only be used for street purposes, go with the XR, it isnt really made for the street but it is better suited than the CRF.

Posted Image

• weskc35k

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:48 PM

What he said.

• icedfusion

Posted March 08, 2006 - 03:43 AM

I had the exact same trouble deciding as you.
What to go for, the XR or the CRF. In the end, I decided that due to my weight and size (19stone - 6ft6"), the fact I wanted reliability and the ability to ride for long distances on the road (as I will not be off road all the time) - then the XR met my needs. The only down point is the lack of electric start - but since you ahve owned an XR400R, then you will be used to the kick and so should not be much of an issue (650R is easy to start once you have the knack).

XR650R is the bike for you from what you describe.

ice.

• frankstr

Posted March 08, 2006 - 05:17 AM

Hairball..lol...Sounds like the XR is the ride you need to be on...dependability is the key here..... :thumbsup:

• hairball

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Wow,
This is great people! :thumbsup:
Thxs for all your replies, I'm thinkin that the XR is going to be my better choice. So is there anyone out there sellin one in Canada :thumbsup: .

• PigRider

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:58 AM

The 650r does fine on single track. I'm not big (5'11", 185) and I can handle it. I ride some tight Michigan trails; while lighter bikes are less effort, no doubt, the 650r can definitely be fun on single track. You will get tired more quickly though. But on the other hand, the tremendous torque lets you get lazy with shifting without penalty. Overall, it's probably the best "all arounder" on the market. When you consider the extremely low maintenance with the performance, it's a great bike.

• TemeculaTim

Posted March 08, 2006 - 11:05 AM

Good thread! I have been having the same dillema. I currently have a 1998 XR600R with all the aftermarket crap money can buy. I am keeping it because it is bulletproof and dependable, but I want to get another bike for trail riding and have been drifting between the XR650R and CRF450X. Too many decisions, not enough cash.

• Potts228

Posted March 08, 2006 - 04:30 PM

You guys with the 650's... Do you still take them on single track? Any tight technical stuff? I was just wondering if the tight stuff sucks bad enough that you just don't want do to do it.

YES! You can take the pigs on any single track! They are actually much better than I ever thought they would be. Only down side is weight but if you keep moving you really don't notice. Only situatiuons where weight is an issue (mud or snow or having to pick the bike up from a fall) will make you wish you were on a lightweight. But...once you get out of the single track and your friends are reved out...you will be cruising along in 4th gear with one gear left to go.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 04:37 PM

YES! You can take the pigs on any single track! They are actually much better than I ever thought they would be. Only down side is weight but if you keep moving you really don't notice. Only situatiuons where weight is an issue (mud or snow or having to pick the bike up from a fall) will make you wish you were on a lightweight. But...once you get out of the single track and your friends are reved out...you will be cruising along in 4th gear with one gear left to go.

Everyone says "must suck pickin that thing up" but I really dont think its very hard. i only had trouble one time because it was on a hill layin the hard way, but all i had to do was spin it around and tilt her back up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.