2nd Front fork seal blown in 2 months

13 replies to this topic
  • Nalgene

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:10 AM

Within the first 10hrs of riding the Right front fork seal started to leak. :thumbsup: Just a little at first, but got worse as the days went on.. I got it replaced *under the 30 day warnty* Bike has run Great since no issues. I am guessing there is now 20+ hrs on the bike and was welcomed this morning to the sight of my right fork seal leaking oil * VERY LARGE PUDDLE OF OIL under the fork *

I live in Az so all of my riding conditions are extremly dry and sandy. I wash the bike after every ride. Yes i use a power washer but I dont use the high pressure setting i just spray the bike with the low pressure setting, i dont want to push the dirt into the bearings or seals. Then I wipe the bike down.

I also live in a apt building so the bike is always in the back of my truck locked up and tied down. I use a fork seal saver, basicly a plastic peice that goes between the underside of the fender and the front tire and when i ratched down the straps is pushes the tire down and not the forks.

There is no scraches in the tube nor as far as I can tell is the tube bent.

what is causing my 05 450 to blow these seals. DO the yz's have this seal problem or am I just getting back luck. :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:15 AM

Buy some seal savers, the foam sleeves that protect the fork seal.

• Fizz

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:24 AM

did they change the "bearings" inside the fork?

a friend of mine had problems with leaking forks, and he changed a few seals untill he got the tip to change the "bearings" (dont know what theyre called, it says "metal, slide" in the parts diagram) and after that he had no problems ...

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:22 AM

You need both the inner and outer fork bushings replaced. Also replace the dust wipers along with the seals.

• kelstr

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:32 AM

You need both the inner and outer fork bushings replaced. Also replace the dust wipers along with the seals.

yes this is true,

you just have to keep up with the bike,
sometimes you can go 6 months and sometimes you will need the forks rebuilt once a month .

you also need to be bleeding off the pressure in the tubes and you need to pull a vacuum in the forks when you store the bike ,

when you leave pressure in the fork you are just asking to get a leaking seal :thumbsup:

• Butta

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:43 AM

*knock on wood* I've gone over 55 hours of use and over 15 months on the stock, yes stock, seals. Only once did my left fork start to dribble a little bit, but a quick film cleaning took care of that. My secret? I dunno...I store the bike on the stand, most of the time, rarely do I bleed the air (I know, I'm awful), and I don't believe in the foam seal savers (second ride with them is when the leak started). Keep the legs clean, free of dirt/mud and don't use a pressure washer near the seals. When I clean my bike with a pressure washer I avoid the seal area, spraying downward to keep the water off the dust seal even.

Maybe the dry air out there is drying them out, combined with the fine sand...have you tried the film cleaning trick yet? I can't see that your bushings would be used up in that short 20 hours when mine is fine after over twice that time....

I used to pull the dust cover and coat vaseline on the seals to keep them from drying and to trap anything that got past the dust cover. That worked pretty well in San Diego on my '98....might want to try that.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:50 AM

When you say, "no scratches", you have to mean it. If there are any at all that can be felt with a fingernail, or any nicks or pits with burred edges, they will take out a new seal in about the amount of time you're talking about. It really takes almost nothing in the way of a scratch or ding to cause this.

Run your nails up and down and around inner tube. If they catch anything, sand the tube in a cross hatch pattern with 240-320 grit wet/dry until it feels smooth again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGoalie

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:05 AM

Is it a good, bad of just dumb idea to spray the outer dust seal with silicone spray?

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:30 AM

That is called the wiper. Yes, I coat the fork legs with silicone spray before riding, and after washing. Anything to help avoid dirt collecting on the inner fork leg is a good thing.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:34 AM

What he said. :thumbsup:

• Nalgene

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:20 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks for all the replys..

Good news the local dealer has the fork seal.. but this was before I read this post and learned about the need to replace inner and outer and the wiper seals..

I will see if they have them..

I mean NO SCRATCHES!! bike has been dumped and wrecked a few times.. but nothing bad.. and I am parnoid of my forks being damaged. So I have done many visual and physical inspections of the forks.

Silicone spray? What brand do you suggest.

* note * when the dealership fixed the right fork seal last time they gave me a bag with two seals in it. Neither looked like the wiper seal.. So i will see whats in stock at the local dealer..

One more blown seal and these bad boys are going to Factory connect for the full service.. Might as well get it fixed and set up for me.

• 03yz450f-43

Posted March 07, 2006 - 01:41 PM

Within the first 10hrs of riding the Right front fork seal started to leak. :thumbsup: Just a little at first, but got worse as the days went on.. I got it replaced *under the 30 day warnty* Bike has run Great since no issues. I am guessing there is now 20+ hrs on the bike and was welcomed this morning to the sight of my right fork seal leaking oil * VERY LARGE PUDDLE OF OIL under the fork *

I live in Az so all of my riding conditions are extremly dry and sandy. I wash the bike after every ride. Yes i use a power washer but I dont use the high pressure setting i just spray the bike with the low pressure setting, i dont want to push the dirt into the bearings or seals. Then I wipe the bike down.

I also live in a apt building so the bike is always in the back of my truck locked up and tied down. I use a fork seal saver, basicly a plastic peice that goes between the underside of the fender and the front tire and when i ratched down the straps is pushes the tire down and not the forks.

There is no scraches in the tube nor as far as I can tell is the tube bent.

what is causing my 05 450 to blow these seals. DO the yz's have this seal problem or am I just getting back luck. :thumbsup:

When you say the bike is stored in the back of your truck, are the forks pulled down? If you store the bike with the forks compressed, it will decrease the life of your seals.

• Nalgene

Posted March 07, 2006 - 02:12 PM

:bonk: I use a fork seal saver, basicly a plastic peice that goes between the underside of the fender and the front tire and when i ratched down the straps is pushes the tire down and not the forks. :bonk:

The forks do compress a lil but mostly the tire is pushed down cause of the plastic fork saver.

:thumbsup: The bike is in the shop and I told them to replace the inner and outer seal and the dust wipe :thumbsup:

• 03yz450f-43

Posted March 07, 2006 - 02:16 PM

cool - sounds good

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.