Raising Stock Handlebar 06 WR450

29 replies to this topic
  • tfitzgerald2

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:33 PM

Any suggestions on new mounts or spacers which will raise the stock handle bars? I am 6'2" and they seem too low when I am up on the pegs. At the moment I am not considering lowering the pegs since the levels seem too low already - have already lowered the brake level as far as possible. Next step is to possible drop the shift lever one shaft spline. Any help would be appreciated.

Ancient One
(Haven't ridden since 1978 - Reliving my childhood now that I am retiring, but the bike doesn't seem to fit as well as my DT-1!)

• jmwasylyk

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:53 PM

switch stock bar to Protaper Pastrana FMX bend requires triple clamp adapters which raise bar about 3/4 inch as well

• Matty05

Posted March 06, 2006 - 10:09 PM

There is lots of choices, you can get adaptor clamps for both the stock bars and fat bars. These raise the bars a little.

Being the same height as you, I know how you feel.
It might cost a little, but you could swap to YZ bar clamps, as they are for fatbars.
Then buy a tall bend of fatbars, as fatbars don't easily bend like the stockers do.

• The Blue Trail Rider

Posted March 06, 2006 - 10:13 PM

I just ordered the BRP sub mount kit for my 06 WR 450. This is a triple clamp bar mounts pro taper bars and a scott damper. The unique thing is that the damper is located under the bars and the mounts rise 1" higher than stock. Then with all the choices for pro taper heights you can choose, you can compensate for desired bar position. Once you ride a bike with "the gold box" atop the bars, you will never want to ride with out one.

Eric :thumbsup:

• nurooi

Posted March 07, 2006 - 01:36 AM

I am 6ft 1" and have just replaced the stock bar with a Pro Taper CR High bend bar with the fat bar clamp. It has rasied the bar by 7cm. Huge difference when riding standing.

Regards

Nurooi

• Kepy

Posted March 07, 2006 - 01:16 PM

I'm 200 cm tall and I can imagine what you feel. Propably the largest bar risers available now are these from Ramirez it. Maybe someone in the US sell them.
Here the pic :

http://www.thumperta...achmentid=15777

• WGP

Posted March 07, 2006 - 01:19 PM

I was told: Some high bend bars will be too high and the cables won't reach or cause binding, anybody had problems?

• Kepy

Posted March 07, 2006 - 01:26 PM

I had this problem with my throttle cables (the clutch and hot start cables are long enough), but as you can see on the pic above I fixed it by twisting the throttle tube by 180 degrees . No disfunction, all fine :thumbsup:

• The Blue Trail Rider

Posted March 07, 2006 - 05:00 PM

I was told: Some high bend bars will be too high and the cables won't reach or cause binding, anybody had problems?

Yes, that is a problem, not so much for anything but the clutch cable. The throttle and front brake line are fine, but you have to re-rout the clutch cable. On the right side of the bike, there is a part of the frame that acts as a guide. You have to disconnect the cable, pull it out of the routing and it will give you some more room. I'm glad I checked on the stand, because every hard left turn would have pulled my clutch in.

Eric

• tfitzgerald2

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for all the input, and the cable issue, which re-inforced faded memories of years ago when I went to taller wide bars on my DT-1 with insuing cable re-routing required. Thanks for the neat picture all the way from Germany! It's a small world.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tfitzgerald2

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Could you recommend a web vendor for the bars. Does pro taper also make the adapters - which ones?

Thanks again.

Tim

• boer

Posted March 14, 2006 - 09:38 AM

I'm 200 cm tall and I can imagine what you feel. Propably the largest bar risers available now are these from Ramirez it. Maybe someone in the US sell them.
Here the pic :

http://www.thumperta...achmentid=15777

Kepy,

Where did you get the Ramirez risers?

• Kepy

Posted March 14, 2006 - 12:25 PM

Kepy,

Where did you get the Ramirez risers?

Boer, I got these risers at AUNER.AT It's an austrian supplier. Unfortunately their web site is a crap. You can try to get it directly via RAMIREZ.IT.

• 2coldnpagosa

Posted March 16, 2006 - 08:47 PM

The best bar risers are here:

www.barrisersonline.com

They're sturdy, look good and work awesome. They come with stainless bolts too!

• tfitzgerald2

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:03 PM

I have purchased the Protaper Pastrana FMX bend bars with the fat bar adapters. The left side grip did roll back about half way and a screw driver and some pulling got it off the stock bar without damage. I re-installed it on the new bars, and all cables were re-attached without any re-routes. The FMX bar was the highest I could find when I reviewed manufacturer spec. plus the height of the adapter as mentioned in the first reply. Very happy , worth the $110 for the new bars and adapters!!

Ancient One

• Canuck

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:33 AM

I just ordered the BRP sub mount kit for my 06 WR 450. This is a triple clamp bar mounts pro taper bars and a scott damper. The unique thing is that the damper is located under the bars and the mounts rise 1" higher than stock. Then with all the choices for pro taper heights you can choose, you can compensate for desired bar position. Once you ride a bike with "the gold box" atop the bars, you will never want to ride with out one.

I am over 6' tall and had the same bar height issue. Grabbed Pro Tapers Doug Henry bend with the BRP sub kit w/scotts stabilizer. BIG difference riding...much more comfortable in all situations.

• Kepy

Posted March 17, 2006 - 11:44 AM

The best bar risers are here:

www.barrisersonline.com

They're sturdy, look good and work awesome. They come with stainless bolts too!

these risers looks like poor craftsmanship :thumbsup:

• boer

Posted March 21, 2006 - 01:55 AM

I have purchased the Protaper Pastrana FMX bend bars with the fat bar adapters. The left side grip did roll back about half way and a screw driver and some pulling got it off the stock bar without damage. I re-installed it on the new bars, and all cables were re-attached without any re-routes. The FMX bar was the highest I could find when I reviewed manufacturer spec. plus the height of the adapter as mentioned in the first reply. Very happy , worth the $110 for the new bars and adapters!!

Ancient One

Could you feel a big difference old ancient one?

Where did you buy it from?

• boer

Posted March 21, 2006 - 09:51 AM

I have looked around on the net at some options, but would like to make sure I have made the right choice.

I think the Protaper Pastrana FMX Contour bar seems good (part # 02-7941 or 02-7942 for black or platinum) with the Protaper universal mount kit (part # 02-4899).

Will I not have to relocate any cables? Will the 30,5" width be ok? Can I get any handgaurds for this setup?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 21, 2006 - 11:54 AM

Good call.... :thumbsup:

My father just installed the SUB unit on his 06, definetly was not too tall from the added 1".. Heck, I wouldn't mind going higher....

I agree with the others the front end feels way too low when standing up with the stock set up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.