Advice wanted on buying a '93 XR650L

17 replies to this topic
  • huskynut20

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hi,
I'm about to go look at buying a '93 XR650L.. it looks in good nick from the photos.. owner says it's covered around 30,000 miles, and had a new piston set about 1000 miles ago. Also had new battery, brakepads and front disk recently.

I'm currently on a late-model Husqvarna SMS610/TE610, but looking to trade down to feed some cash back into my depleted bank account, so looking for something cheaper and aircooled (= simple maintenance.. I've also lost my patience with temperamental Italian machinery...)

Can anyone pls advise:
- how bullet-proof are these bikes.. is 30,000mi getting excessive?
- any common problems I should look out for?

Any help appreciated..

regds,
Andrew

• cleonard

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:38 PM

30,000 sounds like a lot to me, but maybe not if most of those were road miles. Ask if any work was done to the head. I have a XR600 which is pretty much the same engine and my valves were the first thing to have issues. The cam chain tensioner also goes out around the same time.

One of my friends had a 650L and had to replace the countershaft twice form the splines wearing off under the countershaft sprocket. It's a big job to replace, so take a quick look at the splines there.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 07, 2006 - 10:06 AM

30000 is about where your going to start having major problems if it was 30000 hard miles. if it was just high way, then you should be ok for a while. Being a 1993 with 30k, I would pay more than 1000 unless it has some major upgrades like exhaust, tank, bars, suspension, and more..... how much is he askin?

• huskynut20

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:50 AM

The guy is asking NZD $3700, which I suspect means he wants ~ NZD $3200 (roughly $2200 USD). Bikes are a bit more expensive in NZ than the US.

Here's the link if you want to take a look:
http://www.trademe.c...spx?id=49022773

• TahomaTom

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:51 AM

I have a 93 with 16K on it and the only the only real issue I had was the CDI unit.

• jickimojo

Posted March 07, 2006 - 12:18 PM

Hi,
I'm about to go look at buying a '93 XR650L.. it looks in good nick from the photos.. owner says it's covered around 30,000 miles, and had a new piston set about 1000 miles ago. Also had new battery, brakepads and front disk recently.

I'm currently on a late-model Husqvarna SMS610/TE610, but looking to trade down to feed some cash back into my depleted bank account, so looking for something cheaper and aircooled (= simple maintenance.. I've also lost my patience with temperamental Italian machinery...)

Can anyone pls advise:
- how bullet-proof are these bikes.. is 30,000mi getting excessive?
- any common problems I should look out for?

Any help appreciated..

regds,
Andrew

That bike looks clean for 30K

I also have a 93 and by the looks of it it may have had the tank and graphics replaced. 93 was the ugly pink red and blue with a white frame and plastics. No black anywhere!

check second gear!

The price is a little high but then again they are a dime a dozen over here.

Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

• captb

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:04 PM

I had a 93 650L, I allso had a CDI failure the only problem with a XR in 20 years of riding them (7 XRs) that seems fairly high milage on a thumper, I would do a compression test and check it out in detail.

• XR_RON

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:48 PM

Shoot man,If that bike was in my area, Id buy it.It looks good,they took care of it.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:08 PM

id say hes still askin to much...due to how clean it is, id prolly go for it if it was $2800 NZD, no more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dieselndixie

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:56 AM

just fyi....here is one for sale in austin texas

http://austin.craigs.../139935702.html

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 02:02 PM

just fyi....here is one for sale in austin texas

http://austin.craigs.../139935702.html

Dont think that will help a guy in New Zealand.

• ElwynWRF

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Hi Andrew, I'm in Auckland NZ, I brought a 98 model mid last year for $4,000, it was straight and good condition with 9,000 ks on the clock. I needed to WOF & register.

One comment I do have about the bike is that is not very economical to run, 100 - 110 ks from 8 ltrs, (on road) then reserve hits in, time to find a petrol station quick. I need to do something about this somehow, may over the winter.

They appear to be a very sound bike, no problems with parts in NZ, XR 600's appear to be interchangeable in areas. Being air cooled they can get a little hot when riding slowly in the bush or trails. They do NOT preform anything like your Husky 610.

I also have a WRF250 and that thing needs lots of maint, but not so on the XRL, oil and air filter regularly and it should give good service.

All the best with your purchase, I don't think 30k on the clock is too bad.

Cheers

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Hi Andrew, I'm in Auckland NZ, I brought a 98 model mid last year for $4,000, it was straight and good condition with 9,000 ks on the clock. I needed to WOF & register.

One comment I do have about the bike is that is not very economical to run, 100 - 110 ks from 8 ltrs, (on road) then reserve hits in, time to find a petrol station quick. I need to do something about this somehow, may over the winter.

They appear to be a very sound bike, no problems with parts in NZ, XR 600's appear to be interchangeable in areas. Being air cooled they can get a little hot when riding slowly in the bush or trails. They do NOT preform anything like your Husky 610.

I also have a WRF250 and that thing needs lots of maint, but not so on the XRL, oil and air filter regularly and it should give good service.

All the best with your purchase, I don't think 30k on the clock is too bad.

Cheers

Get a Clarke 4 gallon tank. You can usualy get em for about 200 usd, dont know how it is there though.

• 94xrl

Posted March 08, 2006 - 07:15 PM

My 94 has 25K and still going strong. Counter shaft is showing some wear but some creative shimming will take care of that for a while. these are pretty bullet proof bikes. Not much to worry about , change the oil and normal maintenence they will run forever.Good luck, Good choice.

• goblin127

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:51 PM

Still seems kinda high on the price.

• SDBSKI

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:51 PM

That '93 is in '96-'99 trim. He must have replaced the tank, seat and side plastic. If he replaced the top end make sure it had the cam chain, guides and rockers replaced along with a valve job. Check for blue/gray smoke when you start it and open the throttle. Listen to the bottom end for any funky knocking but the bottom ends on these make some racket from the balance shaft gears and it's amplified with a skid plate. Check the trans for smooth shifting.
I've never seen gold forks on an "L" before. Nice looking bike.

• ZJ_77

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:07 AM

Just joined the site today but thought I'd put in my $.02. I just purchased a '94 XR650L with 5,300 miles on it for $1500 US. The bike is perfect condition with new tires and battery. It has a K&N filter and FMF pipe. Not sure if it's jetted or not but it runs great! After doing some shopping, $2000-$3500 looks to be about average price for bikes 5-10 years old. I just happened to stumble across this great deal (at least I think it is) and it was locally owned so I was able to look at it and test drive unlike EBay or other used off the Internet.

• huskynut20

Posted March 12, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Well I was gonna go look at the bike since I was in the guys area last weekend, but he never got back to me, so I dunno what happened.. I'll start looking for something else I guess. Thanks everyone for your help.

regds,
Andrew

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.