Decision time guys. Which pipe, will it help?

12 replies to this topic
  • steve lemley

Posted March 06, 2006 - 08:52 PM

Okay its time to buy a pipe. I currently have the stock WR muffler with the baffles removed and a high flow tip on. I want to get a new exhaust system but I have a two part question.

1. How much noticable performance after jetting will I get with the new pipe over my current set up above and is the difference really worth the money?

2. I can probley get either the Powercore 4 or the Type 496 for the same cost, (hook up!!!). Which one of these two pipes do I get then if cost is no issue and noticable performance is the total decision maker?

You guys rock thanks in advance for the answers. :bonk: :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup: :bonk:

• pkcof

Posted March 06, 2006 - 10:53 PM

The Powercore 4 has a good (and reasonably quiet) insert option for when you may need it ... have a look at this one #GYT-5TA93-01-AL - it is a great option (speaking from experience) and once your bike is jetted correctly you'll have yourself a tuneable weapon !!!
My specs (your's may differ slightly) 0 ~ 5000'
48 Pilot
Yamaha OBDUS needle (third from top)
172 Main
ZIPTY 1 3/4 turns out

good luck !!

• steve lemley

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:35 AM

Thanks, I f I decide to go with the powercore, i will set it to those settings and go from there. Good info thanks again. Anyone else have an opinion???

• Dodger

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:34 AM

Thanks, I f I decide to go with the powercore, i will set it to those settings and go from there. Good info thanks again. Anyone else have an opinion???

Why not have your suspension properly setup by someone? It'll make you faster than a pipe will.

• steve lemley

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:51 AM

Done it already, set all sags and huge difference. Now time for the perf mods:)

• steve lemley

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:36 PM

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lipskid

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:00 PM

I have PC496 on both my '03 WR450 and '06 YZ450. It is a good improvement over stock (uncorked) on the WR, and no significant loss of power from stock on the YZ. It's not the quietest of the 'quiet' pipes, has a nice deep bark, but definitely quieter than the stock YZ. Best thing about it is you don't have to plug it and re-jet for less sound(I'm lazy).

• steve lemley

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:56 PM

Good to know about the jeting part on that pipe selection. Thanks.

• camaro345

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:13 PM

You might even think about getting a YZ450F muffler, with a pro moto billet spark arrestor and/or silent insert, this is much cheaper, and the gains are almost the same as those from aftermarket setups. Much lighter then the stock WR muffler too!!

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:53 PM

I had the GYT-R carbon exhaust on my WR with the quiet cap and SA. I really loved it. The low end was great and it seemed to pull to the moon. Plus it looked cool as hell too. Lots of fun tokens though.
http://putfile.com/p...4620.jpg&s=x402

• steve lemley

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Are you sure a 03 YZ exhaust will fit on my 99 WR 400???

• Matty05

Posted March 09, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Are you sure a 03 YZ exhaust will fit on my 99 WR 400???

Don't think so. The 426 pipes should fit.

• steve lemley

Posted March 10, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Thats what I though but didnt know. Thanks ill look for one of those or I think i might just go with the powercore 4??? Dam I hate all the decisions :eek: :bonk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.