Which Exhaust?? (already searched)

34 replies to this topic
  • old man dan

Posted March 06, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Get the PMB insert for fifty bucks, what do you have to lose. If it's not enough get a pipe. If the bike is jetted properly for your altitude and temps then it should have plenty of power and great throttle response. I was really surprised how much it woke my bike up and it's really quiet. Save the five hundred for other stuff. I can't believe how many people are riding around with things like titanium footpegs and yet have worn out tires.

• Matty05

Posted March 06, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Since you are so intelegent, point me in the right direction so I can see what you are saying cause I'm NOT SEEING it. BY THE WAY, I know exactly what I have said. You are like Clark....get a life dude! The funny part is that you said that I am wrong and you have said the same thing I said. The fly wheel and cams are MOTOR SET UP!!!!!! And with the MX VERSION pipe, you said the SAME THING I SAID! If there is a SX VERSION pipe I'd like to see it. You can't stand the fact that I AM RIGHT! ALL you did was add a word that doesn't even matter and say I'm wrong. Anyone who had been around built engines and ACTUALLY raced one knows the basic set up for a good, strong motor. YOU DON'T
Do you think this is the first motor I have ever been around, mate? You remind me of the KIDS on 450R.org. You got a bike and you think you are an expert. :thumbsup: My research was done under my ass on the bike PLUS what I've heard from the guys who build the atva pro engines. TC Racing's #1 saying is that head pressure builds horse power. More pressure more bottom end. He used to build 250X motors that would smoke the WR450. I think I'll listen to you though. You sound like you would know more.

Sorry mate, you seem to have a comprehension problem.

A SX version pipe (READ: LONG HEADER) will make more bottom end than a MX pipe (READ: SHORT HEADER).

I will educate you:
https://www.fmfracin...x?CategoryID=44
Click the link dork. You will see that there is different headers available for either MX (READ: MID TO TOP END) or SX (READ: BOTTOM TO MID).

The redesigned PowerBomb is a four-stroke header that incorporates FMF’s patented PowerBomb module at a precise location in the initial stage of the header. By positioning this “Bomb” at a key point in the system, increased performance and flow is achieved through the expansion and contraction of exhaust sonics through the system. Result is a flow increase of nearly 10%! The outer chamber in the Powerbomb allows the air to expand, cool and ramp back up at a higher velocity.

Additionally, the PowerBomb is a “pre-muffler” of sorts which helps to lower the bikes sound output by providing more sound absorbing surface area for the sound medium (exhaust gases). On some models, you can choose between a moto or supercross version. The supercross version is designed for more low to mid-range power where the moto version is focused in the mid to upper RPM range.

You say that backpressure is needed for bottom end. The answer is yes! I agree. But using your theory, the stock pipe is so choked up, tons and tons of back pressure. Does it make tons and tons of bottom end??? :thumbsup:
No it doesn't.

Even a top end designed aftermarket system will make more bottom end than the stocker.

Get a pipe for your bike, then make a comment........
All this friend of a friend of a friend is crap.

• Matty05

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:09 PM

TC Racing's #1 saying is that head pressure builds horse power. More pressure more bottom end. He used to build 250X motors that would smoke the WR450. I think I'll listen to you though. You sound like you would know more.

By the way, there is a big difference between head pressure (READ: COMPRESSION) and back pressure.

you want to make horsepower, you don't want backpressure.
you want torque, you want backpressure.

Listen to your "friend". At least understand what the :thumbsup: he is takinkg about.

• pkcof

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:20 PM

ahhh Matty ... all this will end once he gets a decent pipe and re-jets his bike anyway ...funny how some people discuss and labor over issues and details when they really should be just enjoying the riding ...
Try the GYT-R pipe #GYT-5TA93-01-AL ... it's fully rebuild-able and can be adapted from 'quiet' to 'loud' depending on inserts and tips

• WheelsUp

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Oh yes it is the muffler! You are someone who cannot speak from experience, so, I would suggest you go out and buy a slip-on right away........ Then and only then, will you fully understand. The motor is set up fine, the only difference being a low to mid cam (YZ mid to top) and a heavy flywheel.

You're not exactly 100% correct there.... not 100% wrong either :thumbsup:

The WR indeed has a plugged up pipe.
The plugged pipe required Yamaha to advance the exhaust cam timing (by 22 degrees)... that is the ONLY difference between the WR and YZ engine internals. The cam is the same lift, duration, and base circle. The only difference on the '01 and '02 is the way it is indexed on the sprocket, and on the '03 and later, the indexing and the YZ's decomp pin is 3mm shorter.

I would not exactly call the WR cam a low to mid and the YZ a mid to high.
With YZ timing, I picked up power across the band, and it's application is much smoother.... when I hit the throttle, it's "there" where before I had to wait for it to build.
Sitting at the bottom of a hill at idle, whack the throttle, and I'm on my way up... the only time I've stalled it is when I got skeered and let off the gas. :bonk:

There was absolutely NO loss of bottom end when I went to YZ timing, and in fact, some claim that WR timing helps to REDUCE wheelspin, meaning that it may actually reduce bottom end torque.

IMHO, for woods riding, the new Q2 is quieter than the stock pipe with the PMB insert, maybe even quieter than the stock pipe with the stock baffle removed (remember, '05 design changed and it's no longer 110db uncorked).

You can't compare the charts on FMF's site for an '05 or newer WR as the pipe design is totally different.

The Q2 is much lighter than the stock pipe.... I think I'd even stick my neck out and make the claim that the Q2 Ti is as light or lighter than a stock YZ pipe :thumbsup:

The important thing is the Q2 has a sparky, which is needed for woods riding. Why buy a Factory-4 and have to plug it up with a sparky and maybe quiet insert when the Q2 would not be noticeably weaker?

• TWILES

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Aussies stick together huh. My wife is even laughing at Matty. You are arguing with me over ONE pipe. AND ITS OVER THE HEADPIPE.
Again, I'd hate to listen to a guy who makes a living building motors. I can't read either according to you. Its plain as day man. You screwed up and restated what I said. MY WIFE CAN SEE THAT.
As you can see someone is backing me up. :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:29 PM

Your wife or sister.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Aussies stick together huh. My wife is even laughing at Matty. You are arguing with me over ONE pipe. AND ITS OVER THE HEADPIPE.
Again, I'd hate to listen to a guy who makes a living building motors. I can't read either according to you. Its plain as day man. You screwed up and restated what I said. MY WIFE CAN SEE THAT.
As you can see someone is backing me up. :thumbsup:

Here mate:
http://www.yamaha-mo...ion&ProdID=2448

Here is a GYT-R race muffler. It is a free flowing race muffler.
It makes more bottom end and mid and top end, that is even on a YZ.
If it is so much more free flowing than the stock muffler, how does it make more bottom end :thumbsup:

• OneToGo

Posted March 06, 2006 - 07:20 PM

Why is there usually so much controversy over pipes (rhetorical Q, I mean question).

As a consumer we make a choice in our buying decision. When spending, particularly if it involves lots of $, say for a new bike, then we want to be informed before the fact. This site offers great insight and lets us benefit from other peoples experience and knowledge...
Enough of that :thumbsup:

Everyone has a different angle on pipes, some NEED quiet, others (I wish I was one) can just get the best performer - I dont think anyone will agree on which is the best though? A thorough test involving DYNO and ACTUAL track testing may give us a clue and it would be nice if somebody did this, any takers?? Though I still suspect there would be disagreements..

My thoughts: you need/should free up the stock exhaust (I cant believe some people dont do this ), also it is heavy. The PMB insert is a relatively inexpensive way to do this - but then you still have the weight. You can reduce this and improve performance, in most cases, by sticking on an aftermarket muffler. If you want to take it a step further, go to a full system. You cant derive the full benefits of free mods, jetting and other peformance enhancing improvements without the exhaust gas flow sorted.

IMHO, why not try the PMB insert, then properly set up your bike, then decide if you want more - power, bling, noise or whatever...
Do this on the quiet, then come back and tell us about it, THEN we can all agree to DISAGREE once more.
BTW, I have a new Q2 with SX PowerBomb header - my choice, I like it, AND, I wont compare or defend it against others because I have no means of comparison other than to stock...
Cheers, my .02 worth
Colin :thumbsup:

• CJ06WR

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:08 PM

My buddy and I both have the 06 WR450. The bike rocks! I am very pleased with her. When I was doing the mods to free her up, I went with the Promoto insert. Why? I'm a cheep bastard. Damn things only 50 bucks. My buddy had to be big "pimpin" and dropped 700 bones on a full GYTR system.

I have taken out his bike and there is a substantial increase in throttle response and power delivery. It is a night and day difference! But the bigger difference is that I have $650 more to buy a skid plate and other cool stuff. The PMB insert also allows me to get use to this bike and the power. My job sometimes requires that I ride a stock 01 XR400. I have spent a lot of time on this machine and know her very well, but I won't even start to compare a XR 400 to a WR450.

Down the road, I will find a nice performance pipe, that's fairly quiet and legal for my tree hugging state. Until then the PMB insert is perfect.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 07, 2006 - 09:12 AM

... My job sometimes requires that I ride a stock 01 XR400.

Lucky man. I have tried to schedule a few meetings on the Sterling trail at Gorman or even at Randsburg in the desert.

I always end up there by myself!

• Dodger

Posted March 07, 2006 - 11:16 AM

Its a lot of $$$ to gain a little extra power, the question to be asked is can you use that extra few HP, are you riding you machine to its maximum potential?

Exactely. Why people think a full pipe system is going to make all the difference in the world is beyond me. Why not spent that $500 on having your suspension set up. It most definately WILL make you a faster guy than 2 hp you'll never use.......

• TWILES

Posted March 07, 2006 - 01:26 PM

Here mate:
http://www.yamaha-mo...ion&ProdID=2448

Here is a GYT-R race muffler. It is a free flowing race muffler.
It makes more bottom end and mid and top end, that is even on a YZ.
If it is so much more free flowing than the stock muffler, how does it make more bottom end :thumbsup:

I haven't seen that it does. You seem like an insecure guy. First it takes you 5 minutes to come up with something else to throw at me AND THEN you ask if its really me sister and not my wife. I make guys like you cry on jobs. You'd probably be a pretty nice guy once you've had your ass whooped a couple times. You going to have to show me some dyno sheets to believe that a pipe will give these bikes more bottom-end. I know they will spread out what is there but I haven't seen any increase until midrange. I tried to tell that it was MOTOR SET-UP that hurt the WR on all out power. You argued and then some corrected you. I've been riding since I was 5. I started really learning to ride when I was 14. By that I mean trying to ride like the A and Pro riders I watched. I started racing at 16 at the local MX races and continued till I made it good in A and Pro-Am. My dad found out he was dying of cancer so I quit and took over his Masonry business. I'm 24 now and the 450's are new to me. I'm learning expirementing with my " WIFE'S " / my old 450R. Its hopeless but the WR has potential. I read everything I can and I'm not seeing where these motors are really any different than the old 250X/300EX or XR motors when it comes to set up. Its still basically they same thing. More refined but the same. I just don't see spending $600 on an exhaust if I'm not competeing. That goes back to clarks's saying of who's :thumbsup: is bigger than who's. More power to you dude. Just don't run someone else's veiw down cause you are a dick. This is what forums are for. You think I'm some kid pretending on here but you sound like the one who needs to grow up or atleast get some balls. I bet you squirm like a girl in person too. :bonk:

• CJ06WR

Posted March 07, 2006 - 09:44 PM

Maurice,

"Lucky man. I have tried to schedule a few meetings on the Sterling trail at Gorman or even at Randsburg in the desert."

Not lucky for anyone else I contact while I'm riding the XR400. It usually means your getting a ticket because you didn't listen to my verbal warning and continue to ride on land that you don't own. I hate to do it but its overtime and puts cool stuff on my WR.

• Matty05

Posted March 07, 2006 - 09:49 PM

I haven't seen that it does. You seem like an insecure guy. First it takes you 5 minutes to come up with something else to throw at me AND THEN you ask if its really me sister and not my wife. I make guys like you cry on jobs. You'd probably be a pretty nice guy once you've had your ass whooped a couple times. You going to have to show me some dyno sheets to believe that a pipe will give these bikes more bottom-end. I know they will spread out what is there but I haven't seen any increase until midrange. I tried to tell that it was MOTOR SET-UP that hurt the WR on all out power. You argued and then some corrected you. I've been riding since I was 5. I started really learning to ride when I was 14. By that I mean trying to ride like the A and Pro riders I watched. I started racing at 16 at the local MX races and continued till I made it good in A and Pro-Am. My dad found out he was dying of cancer so I quit and took over his Masonry business. I'm 24 now and the 450's are new to me. I'm learning expirementing with my " WIFE'S " / my old 450R. Its hopeless but the WR has potential. I read everything I can and I'm not seeing where these motors are really any different than the old 250X/300EX or XR motors when it comes to set up. Its still basically they same thing. More refined but the same. I just don't see spending $600 on an exhaust if I'm not competeing. That goes back to clarks's saying of who's :thumbsup: is bigger than who's. More power to you dude. Just don't run someone else's veiw down cause you are a dick. This is what forums are for. You think I'm some kid pretending on here but you sound like the one who needs to grow up or atleast get some balls. I bet you squirm like a girl in person too. :bonk:

You have a stock bike, do you or do you not? :thumbsup:

If you do, I would suggest you pull your head out of your ass and derestrict that bike. Oh yes, that means the muffler too. You will see the most gains with the muffler.

A stock WR makes well under 40hp. If you set your bike up like Yamaha intended, it will make over 50hp if you use the right pipe.

Here is a stock WR450F dyno chart:
http://www.promotobi...tock insert.pdf

Here is a WR450F with the promoto billet insert dyno chart:
http://www.promotobi... PMB insert.pdf

Just a friggin bigger insert makes another 6hp AND MORE BOTTOME END than the stock muffler.

Do a search.......... you might find some info that yes, the WR450 can make over 37hp.

Don't take it from me, the motor set up is fine on the WR. It is just that the stock muffler is so crap. Obviously you don't know, so why try to say different?

By the way, we didn't need to hear your life story..........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.