Oh well, recovering the pig was fun!

13 replies to this topic
  • ewbish

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:01 AM

Went on a pretty good ride yesterday with a buddy. We left about 0800 from near Tombstone AZ. Ran a mix of two track and some single track/washes to Near St David, dropped into the San Pedro river and ran up to Benson. Had about 40 miles clocked at that point so gassed up, crossed I-10 and ran up San Pedro road. Took a bunch of cut outs and trails off that and finally made our way to San Manuel. Gassed again, had lunch and a beer, and headed back. Found a trail about 40 minutes out of San Manuel (near Redington I think) that dropped into the San Pedro river and ran it S. about 15 miles or so. Very awesome. The pig truly excelled here, until we hit the lower areas that were still holding water. Water, sand, and the pig don't mix! Let me tell you, when you hit a sand bog in the water and sink the pig up to it's seat, it's a real problem. After 30 minutes of much grunting and straining, the pig came free, but alas, letting out the clutch resulted in nothing but a high pitched squeel. Sand does horrible things to engines. Through the modern magic of the cell phone, got my wife and son to meet me in Benson, about 40 miles from the pig. By now it was dark, and it was hell to find a trail down into the river that I could get my jeep and trailer down. After a few miles of searching, found a way in, but had to run about 10 miles up the river to find the pig. Not fun with a trailer. Used the heck out my lockers and had many close ones. Thank god for the Hi-Lift jack is all I can say. Got about 1/4 mile from the bike, but the jeep just plain couldn't make it further, sand bogs, water, rocks, and brush were to much. So, the boy and I pushed that 300lb beast down the river, what a friggin' work out that was! An hour later we were back on the main road and on the way home. Rolled into the driveway just before midnight. The pig stopped with just over 150 miles on the odometer from the ride. Probably put close to that on the jeep recovering it!

All in all, fun day. Only broke a shackle and leaf on the trailer dragging it through the rocks. Haven't torn into the XR yet. Hope it's an easy fix, but expect it's not, we shall see.

I will admit, when my buddy sank his WR250, I was a little bit jelous when he simply picked it up and turned it around to face the other direction.

• TimBrp

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:36 AM

The weight of these bikes in certain slow settings can be detremental to your health, lol. I started hitting the weights 2 months before I bought mine, just because. When they're stuck, they're STUCK. Glad you made it out alright.

Hey BTW-....were there any rocks out there or just sand....LMAO!! Had to dude! :thumbsup:

• ewbish

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:49 AM

The weight of these bikes in certain slow settings can be detremental to your health, lol. I started hitting the weights 2 months before I bought mine, just because. When they're stuck, they're STUCK. Glad you made it out alright.

Hey BTW-....were there any rocks out there or just sand....LMAO!! Had to dude! :thumbsup:

Hahaha, yah, momentum is definetely key when it comes to piloting the pig! In 30 + years of riding I have never gotten a bike stuck like this. It was unbelievable. I wish I'd had my camera, at one point when it was sinking, it actually "titanic'd". I swear to god, the front wheel was on solid ground but the back kept sinking, it was pointed straight up in the air and buried up to the point where the seat comes up on the tank.

And yah, there's always rocks. The only place I've ever been in AZ that didn't have many rocks is Yuma (the dunes). Who'd a thunk it! Rocks AND water in my "nice sandy desert", LOL!

Rocks are a good thing in the dry river beds and washes though, only place you have any traction;-)

• TimBrp

Posted March 06, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Cool. Up to the seat/tank line huh? I hope you don't have much in the way of engine work. How long did she stay running under all that?

• HawkGT

Posted March 06, 2006 - 11:22 AM

Nice story. Sounds like an adventure. Keep us posted about your engine.

• ewbish

Posted March 06, 2006 - 01:30 PM

Cool. Up to the seat/tank line huh? I hope you don't have much in the way of engine work. How long did she stay running under all that?

Beleive it or not, it was still running. Funny, exhaust was under maybe 18 inches of sand and water at that point, and it was like a volcano-I'd blip the throttle and a geyser of mud would shoot up.

I should get a look at it tonight, see where I stand. Man I hope it's something trivial.

• TemeculaTim

Posted March 06, 2006 - 03:42 PM

Been there and done that on getting stuck in water. Don't overlook your wheel and swing arm linkage bearings. Good bet they are wasted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chicagobikefan

Posted March 06, 2006 - 04:54 PM

When that fun, red, heavy, pig of a thumper whumps down into the mud, it sure does like to stay there. I feel for you, man. She is a heavy bike. Glad you made it out OK.

• ewbish

Posted March 07, 2006 - 10:22 AM

Well, pressure washed it yesterday and took the counter shaft sprocket cover off. Seems that the close tolerances of the cover allowed sand and gravel from the river to wad up and jam the countershaft. This in turn caused the clutch to fry while I was trying to get it out. Looks like I'll be throwing a new clutch in the pig, so no big deal. Looks like the wheel bearings and suspension linkage are OK. I'll probably tear them apart and clean/regrease anyway, something I normally do on my bikes once a year anyway.

The sprocket cover is now relagated to the trash bin. I've always removed them from my dirtbikes in the past just so crap doesn't build up, I left it on the pig because I do ride it on the street, but not anymore.

• Eric Henion

Posted March 07, 2006 - 05:05 PM

Man what a stuck. Hope everything goes well. The "road" you were on is that the one that goes behind the Rincon and Catalina Mts East and North of Tucson? Good luck with your pig and I hope the damage is not to much.

• frankstr

Posted March 08, 2006 - 05:26 AM

Sounds like a challenging day and night of riding...glad to hear you made without any injury's to yourself...that sand is hard on parts..lol..... :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:22 AM

Thats a good report; I have often wondered what might happen to me if some thing like that happens. Kind of a good eye opener.

• CFAmD7G

Posted March 11, 2006 - 09:11 PM

If you had a rope perhaps you bud could have doubled your extraction power. Glad you made it out eventually.

• YoungGunXR

Posted March 11, 2006 - 09:26 PM

Those pigs like their mud.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.