06 YZ450 jetting - problem starting

5 replies to this topic
  • bushman06

Posted March 06, 2006 - 08:10 AM

Bought an 06 YZ450F a couple of weeks ago and on the whole love this machine.

However I am having a nightmare trying to get her started! On average it will take me between 5(if i am lucky) to 9 kicks to fire her over. I have tried with the hot start, without. The problem is worse as the bike gets hotter. Yesterday during a cross country race I stalled it and the bike would not start for 15 min! :thumbsup:

Right now I am at sea level and this is what I have done to the jetting:

170 main
48 pilot
needle clip 5 down from top
boysen acel pump
fuel screw 2.5 turns out
procircuit full exhaust system

I have a 50 leak but have not installed it yet.

Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

06 YZ450 F

Pro-Circuit full system, SMS Racing Suspension, Jetted and Accel Pump

• NYMXer

Posted March 06, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Mine was a pain to start a first. Time on the bike and learning a 4 stroke start technique helped a lot. I have jets coming.
Here's what I do, turn gas on and wait about 30 seconds. Pull out choke and twist throttle fully 1 x. Kick w/o using the trottle. It usually starts 2-3 kicks. If it doesn't, I twist the throttle 1 more time and kick. Once it's warmed up, it starts w/ half a kick. It is still cold here in NY..........teens at night and 30's during the day.

• RAMARION

Posted March 06, 2006 - 03:25 PM

sounds like the pilot air and or leak jet has some obstruction-clog........ this might occur if you start her up after installing a freshly oiled air filter........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mlight9

Posted March 06, 2006 - 05:25 PM

I got a JD jetting kit for my 06 450 and had no problem getting the bike started since. Hot or cold weather. 170 Main, 48 pilot and one of there needle jets. works great

• Matt96xr6

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:10 PM

double check the float level. If you have any coming out the overflow when trying to start the bike, the level is to high. That will flood the motor making it very hard starting.

• mtrdrms

Posted March 07, 2006 - 05:22 AM

Mine was a pain to start a first. Time on the bike and learning a 4 stroke start technique helped a lot. I have jets coming.
Here's what I do, turn gas on and wait about 30 seconds. Pull out choke and twist throttle fully 1 x. Kick w/o using the trottle. It usually starts 2-3 kicks. If it doesn't, I twist the throttle 1 more time and kick. Once it's warmed up, it starts w/ half a kick. It is still cold here in NY..........teens at night and 30's during the day.

This method works very well. I usually give it two twists before I start it cold. I pulled my 06 out after sitting in the basement for a month and it started first kick! no lie. Which pissed off my buddy who was hammering away at his CRF450. Any way starting technique is key. Make sure you find top dead center before each and every kick - saves lotsa energy in a race!

Also I have never had a bike that kicked over on a half a kick before until now. It is really weird becuase you can actually start the bike by accident! I just rested my foot on the kickstart and it must have been in the exact right place becuase just the weight of my boot pushed down the lever and it started purring. Less effort than my fiddy!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.