426 dented header

29 replies to this topic
  • theMotoMan

Posted March 22, 2006 - 07:52 PM

I've been trying to get the dent out of my Dr. D. headpipe for about a week now using the freezing water trick. I first tried it with no plugs and it did nothing. I then put a thermos cork in one end and it did nothing. I then put corks in both ends and it pushed one of the corks out and still did nothing. I then wired one of the corks in the pipe and it broke the wire and pushed the cork out and did nothing to the dent. I must admit the dent is not a large gentle dent, but more of a small deeper dent that might not push out easily. I also think the Dr. D. headpipe is fairly thick metal and resists dents well, but might be harder to push out a dent.

Posted Image

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 23, 2006 - 08:37 AM

All i can say is the i did the water trick to my stock header pipe and it worked great. I can't vouge for a Dr. D pipe or anything cause if they metal is thicker, then you might have a way tougher time.
Just maybe keep on trying it until you need to ride the bike.
Or take before and after.
Maybe it is changing a bit and you aren't noticing.
Just a thought.
Good luck.

• darksun27

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:01 AM

just make sure that there is enough water in it to completely fill the inside of there the dent it, i would say at least 2 inches past where it is.

• beasleys

Posted March 23, 2006 - 10:34 AM

I have tryed it 4 times now and it has not moved from what I can tell. I am going to try to plug th ends and see if thast works. It is bent up pretty bad though so I am not losing anything by trying. I am just trying to save alittle oif that "race fund" :thumbsup: Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks

• Numskull

Posted March 23, 2006 - 04:07 PM

when i dented mine, i just drilled a small hole on the opposite side, then heated it up real good with a torch then tapped the dent back to its original shape, then welded over the hole i drilled... worked pretty good.

This sounds like a good second attempt if the freezing dont work. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • theMotoMan

Posted March 23, 2006 - 08:41 PM

All i can say is the i did the water trick to my stock header pipe and it worked great. I can't vouge for a Dr. D pipe or anything cause if they metal is thicker, then you might have a way tougher time.
Just maybe keep on trying it until you need to ride the bike.
Or take before and after.
Maybe it is changing a bit and you aren't noticing.
Just a thought.
Good luck.

I'm not giving up with this, but am looking for new ideas. How important is plugging both ends? I thought about buying a couple of exhaust plugs and wiring them in place.

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:15 AM

I never plugged the ends, but i don't think that would matter for where my dent was. My dent was directly in the middle of the bend of the stock header pipe. I just filled it up with water about as much as i could without it spilling in the freezer. This was plenty enough of water to get past the dent and do a great job at popping the dent out.
But...
If your dent is not in that bend or is on more of a straight part of the pipe, then i would suggest trying to plug the ends and just fill it completely up.
You will need as much pressure as possible if the dent is further up on the straight part of the pipe as opposed to having it more on the bend.

Just my 2 cents anyways....

• cowboyona426

Posted May 01, 2006 - 10:57 AM

Okay, can someone set this straight for me... I have 2 very small dings right in the bend of my Ti header on my 06... do I just need enough water in the pipe to go past the dings, or should I fill the header as much as possible? The dings are small and probably not affecting performance, but they bug me so they must go :crazy:

• xnofriendsx

Posted May 01, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Just fill the whole pipe up and plug the ends.
If you can fill it up completely and lean it over in the freezer without it spilling, then just do that and don't plug the ends.
Just make sure you have enough water to go past the dents.
My freezer is on bottom of the refrig so i have to lean it over a bit and i didn't have anything to plug the ends with.
This "should" work, but i have heard of it not working for some people.
Mine worked perfect and you can barely tell it was ever dented except for the protector cage was dented as well and i had to try and pop it back out.
Try it out. It is a free fix if it works.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 01, 2006 - 04:54 PM

My fear with plugging the ends is bursting the header open... I'll try unplugged first.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.