426 dented header

29 replies to this topic
  • bhollis426

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:06 AM

Guys,
What is the best way to remove a dent in the front of my headerpipe? :thumbsup:

• darksun27

Posted March 06, 2006 - 08:53 AM

lol im so glad you asked this cause i love telling people how to fix their headders. last weekend i raced a hare scramble and put a dent 2/3 the way into the head pipe. but neways just take the headder off fill it full of water, pop it in the freezer and when the water expands it will pop the dent right out of it. it might take more than once but it will work every time :thumbsup:

• Hockey66

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:33 AM

Here's what I did on my old bike. I'm not sure if this will make sense, but if it does it works. Find a ball bearing that is barely smaller in diameter than that of your header, but still moves freely. Put the bearig inside of your header and swing it as hard as you can so it rolls down and smacks the dent. It should only take a few tries but it works like a charm.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Cute trick, but water and freezers are generally more available than steel balls larger than 1", no?

• bhollis426

Posted March 06, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Great Ideas as usual! Thanks guys!

• darksun27

Posted March 06, 2006 - 03:20 PM

ohh yeah heres a before and after picture with the freezing water trick
Posted Image

• smadaderrick

Posted March 06, 2006 - 08:03 PM

when i dented mine, i just drilled a small hole on the opposite side, then heated it up real good with a torch then tapped the dent back to its original shape, then welded over the hole i drilled... worked pretty good.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 07, 2006 - 09:15 AM

Or have the professionals fix it
Pacific Crest Pipe Repair
http://www.piperepair.com

I have used them a few times - :thumbsup:

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:35 PM

darksun27,
I am curious to how you are doing this with the water/freezer, etc.
I am assuming you are plugging up both ends?
Or how exactly are you doing this.
Sorry to be so dumb, but i have a pretty big dent right in the bend on my YZ426 and it would be nice to have it gone.

Thanks for any info,
Brian

• jjcmx05

Posted March 07, 2006 - 04:38 PM

i just filled it up and froze it like 3 times was working but it was slow so i filled it wired some exhaust plugs in there and it took the dent the rest of the way out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darksun27

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:03 PM

no i havent plugged the end yet ive just left it open.it took it 4 times to take the dent out of mine in the pic below.but the best part of it is that it was free and well worth it

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 08, 2006 - 08:33 AM

I am trying mine right now. I put it in the freezer last night. I forgot to check it this morning though. My wife is home today, maybe she can unfreeze it and do another one.
She wasn't too thrilled about it in the freezer, but it was for the good of my precious 426 so she didn't care.

• xnofriendsx

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Crap, it works.
I just called my wife and she check on it and she said the dent is completely gone and smooth.
Geez, i was sort of skeptical at first, but now i am amped.
Thanks for the Mr. Wizard tip.

Brian

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:36 AM

when i dented mine, i just drilled a small hole on the opposite side, then heated it up real good with a torch then tapped the dent back to its original shape, then welded over the hole i drilled... worked pretty good.

I don't recommend this on Ti headers unless you are a very experienced welder.

• darksun27

Posted March 08, 2006 - 06:32 PM

I don't recommend this on Ti headers unless you are a very experienced welder.

good point and also WARNING: DO NOT do this on a pipe that has been cracked, cut or bent because more than likely it will cause it to go ahead and bust open or bust open more than it allready has

• bhollis426

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:31 AM

Guys, that was a great idea, I'll admit I was very spectacle but I was happily surprised when I woke this morning to find it almost gone. I refilled it to finish the job. Now I can focus on the ride next weekend in GA. Thanks fellow TTr's! :thumbsup:

• 1999turbo

Posted March 10, 2006 - 08:30 AM

lol im so glad you asked this cause i love telling people how to fix their headders. last weekend i raced a hare scramble and put a dent 2/3 the way into the head pipe. but neways just take the headder off fill it full of water, pop it in the freezer and when the water expands it will pop the dent right out of it. it might take more than once but it will work every time :thumbsup:

Great trick... was about to get the heater gun out with some pressure... the joys of reading forums hey! :thumbsup:

• darksun27

Posted March 10, 2006 - 08:22 PM

glad i could help lol :thumbsup:

• tnl

Posted March 11, 2006 - 03:20 PM

Or have the professionals fix it
Pacific Crest Pipe Repair
http://www.piperepair.com

I have used them a few times - :thumbsup:

How about 4 stroke Ti pipes. No pic's on their website?

• beasleys

Posted March 22, 2006 - 05:25 PM

i really dented my header good this last weekend. I haved tryed the water trick and does not seem to be doing anything. I am on my 3rd "cycling" right now and nothing seems to have changed. I am not pluging the ends right now. Should I? It seems like if you plug the ends wouldn't the header have more of a chance of actually splitting. Thanks and I will keep trying. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.