06 450F Oil Change

5 replies to this topic
  • Hockey66

Posted March 06, 2006 - 01:19 AM

I just finished breaking my bike in and changed the oil/oil filter. The mechanic at the dealer told me to put 1.2 L in so I did so before reading the manual. The oil seemed just a BIT high on the dip stick so I read the manual and it says:

Periodic oil change: 0.95L
With oil filter replacement: 1.0L
Total amount: 1.2L

Am I supposed to follow the periodic oil change with oil filter replacement amount or the total amount? I could have just messed up and put in a bit too much oil, or the mechanic at the shop could be wrong. Sorry for sounding like a dumbass, just curious.

PS. Has anyone had trouble getting their bike to idle properly? Mine kept stalling right away and it took quite a bit of fiddling around to make it right.

• Hockey66

Posted March 06, 2006 - 01:37 AM

Also, I rode the bike for about an hour or two with that oil. If 1.2L is too much, would that be bad for the bike?

• bud

Posted March 06, 2006 - 04:51 AM

the 04 and 05 yz450 holds 1.2L with filter change. the 06 only holds 1.0L with filter change(just like the manuel states). this is about 1.05 quarts. there is a way to drain off the excess oil. it is the 8mm bolt on the left side of the case. towards the bottom kinda behind the shifter. it never seems to amaze me how some mechanics at shops that set these bikes up know nothing about them. that is mainly why i pdi all my bikes myself. hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PK

Posted March 06, 2006 - 05:10 AM

I wouldn't worry about the oil being over 200 cc's. It is a good idea to go through the bike yourself before riding it. The idling problem can be cured by installing a 48 pilot jet. You may want to install a 170 main jet while your in there as they are both too lean.

• R_Little

Posted March 06, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Also, I rode the bike for about an hour or two with that oil. If 1.2L is too much, would that be bad for the bike?

If you over fill ther oil .2lt, it'll just blow out the breather all over your boot.

It's okay.

Posted March 06, 2006 - 07:41 AM

don't put in 1.2 L, follow the Manual............reason being, there .2L oil circulated and resting in the oil lines themself. You'll never drain 1.2 L of oil from your bike.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.