Clarke 4.7 gallon tank won't moun to my '05 XR650L

6 replies to this topic
  • OlyRider

Posted March 05, 2006 - 09:20 PM

I'm confused. I bought a 2005 XR650L three weeks ago, and have been adding things to it. My Clarke tank came a couple of days ago. The stock tank has a 3/4 inch (or so) male outlet stem to mount to the petcock. The Clarke tank doesn't have anything. Just three holes drilled in the tank. All in a row - the center hole is larger than the outside holes. Am I missing a piece that should have come with the Clarke tank?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 05, 2006 - 11:14 PM

I'm confused. I bought a 2005 XR650L three weeks ago, and have been adding things to it. My Clarke tank came a couple of days ago. The stock tank has a 3/4 inch (or so) male outlet stem to mount to the petcock. The Clarke tank doesn't have anything. Just three holes drilled in the tank. All in a row - the center hole is larger than the outside holes. Am I missing a piece that should have come with the Clarke tank?

Yes, you are.

Clarke is pretty good with quality control, so this doesn't sound typical.

Your Clarke tank should have a male outlet just like your stock tank, 'cept it'll be aluminum. Call them, let them know the situation. They should fix it ASAP.

On a side note, the larger of the three holes you mention is the fuel hole. On my recently ordered and installed Clarke tank, the fuel hole wasn't quite large enough for my stock petcock assembly (about 4+ inches long). I took the largest drillbit I had that could fit into the outlet stem, removed the stem, and reamed out the fuel hole on my Clarke tank on my drill press, reassembled the tank and outlet stem, and then the petcock assembly would insert/fit into the tank.

• rkuckkahn

Posted March 06, 2006 - 12:22 PM

Agree you are missing some parts. My Clarke came with a male mounting piece, rubber gasket and two "screws" holding it in (total three holes that you are seeing). I had to loosen the bracket align the big holes (tank, bracket, gasket) fit the petcock and retighten the two "screws". Everything fit like a dream, absolutely no fit problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 06, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Agree you are missing some parts. My Clarke came with a male mounting piece, rubber gasket and two "screws" holding it in (total three holes that you are seeing). I had to loosen the bracket align the big holes (tank, bracket, gasket) fit the petcock and retighten the two "screws". Everything fit like a dream, absolutely no fit problems.

Even after loosening the male outlet stem on mine, my petcock assembly (the platic tube portion that goes into the tank vertically) would still not fit. Once the outlet stem was removed from my tank, the petcock assembly would still not fit thru the fuel hole. Only after making it larger on my drill press did it all assemble correctly.

No biggie, only took a few extra minutes to fix. Just relaying my experiences in case others run into a similar situation.

• goblin127

Posted March 06, 2006 - 03:44 PM

Let us know what happened?

• OlyRider

Posted March 06, 2006 - 04:36 PM

Called Clarke when I got to work this morning. I was missing the aluminum stem that connects their tank to the Honda petcock. They put it in the mail today. They're about 150 miles away. I'll probably have it tomorrow.

Thanks!!

• SDBSKI

Posted March 06, 2006 - 07:47 PM

At least your tank mounted properly. I ordered a 4.0 Gal and it mounted slanted to the right so bad that the tank almost touched the engine. I e-mailed Clarke some photos and sent the tank back. The replacement tank mounted the same way. The molded bosses were not parallel causing the tank to twist as it slid on the rubber mounts. I e-mailed more photos including a mock up of the problem area. Clarke said that was the best they could do and if I wasn't happy with the fitment they would give me a refund EXCLUDING shipping. I sent the other tank back this morning. Too bad, except for being crooked it was a nice looking tank.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.