GOING TO MOAB!! any advice to give???

4 replies to this topic
  • ARin

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Any simple advice to give to a first-time moab rider?

THings to look out for? Things to visit? Specifics to bring?

• Jim_bo

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:27 PM

When are you going? I'm going for the first time in June. I have the same questions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chickenhauler

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Done MOAB twice and june gets kinda warm, Camelbaks are a must-GPS is nice but not necessary. I got good maps at the visitors center in middle of town. Tires wear fast so bring a spare or 2 at least a rear. We rode 10 days and I balded a freshy and 1/2 wore a second rear and the front was smoked too. Good skidplate w/case saver wings a must-lots of sneaky rocks around. Some days sounded like I was skating not riding. GRRRRRRINNNNNNNDDDDD.
Very little parts in Moab and rental places scam you but heard good things about guided tours. We never did but who knows what we missed? The fun slickrock you have to pay to get into but it's worth it. Big fuel tank's and plates make life a lot easier but you can do without. Full moto bikes get hairy on technical trails but its doable. I rode a DRZ ald changed sprockets for low speed cruisin.

• bradc-wr450

Posted March 05, 2006 - 10:35 PM

camping gear, water, gps, skid plates and guts. the traction is amazing. get a map of the trails and ask around about the trail conditions. GREAT place to ride. extra fuel is a good thing on some of the longer trails.

• ARin

Posted March 05, 2006 - 10:57 PM

cool, thanks guys!! i think im covered. we have some 06 bikes in the group, so ill have more gas than they will...and my skid plate and proctection are up to par. Most of us have gotten our midland radios and helmet headsets all prepped for the trip, so we will put those through their paces, and see how they do.

i leave tomorrow morning. Going with a group of 9 or so...most of them have been numerous times...so im just gonna be following the leader. Ill take lots of pics and report back if i survive!!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.