REKLUSE questions

41 replies to this topic
  • jerryls

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:01 PM

Mine should be in Fri sometime. Has anyone tried the harder TC balls??? Not sure what they do but the clutch I got comes with them.

The TC balls weigh more than the standard balls. As the rpm's increase, the heavier TC balls will force the clutch to engage quicker than the regular balls. Basically they shorten the range of rpm's from non-engagement to full engagement.

Jerry

• gdbarr1976

Posted March 09, 2006 - 08:15 PM

Mighty Mouse, what bike did you put it on. I have an 06, I am seriously thinking of getting one. Especially after riding my buddy's WR with a rekluse yesterday, it was just nuts.

I have had one on my 06 for about two months and it is sweet. You posted a response about my flame out problem. Are you having this problem? It is the only complaint I have but it is a big one.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 10, 2006 - 05:55 AM

I have had one on my 06 for about two months and it is sweet. You posted a response about my flame out problem. Are you having this problem? It is the only complaint I have but it is a big one.

its a rich condition,the rekluse is very sensative to jetting :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted March 10, 2006 - 05:59 AM

The TC balls weigh more than the standard balls. As the rpm's increase, the heavier TC balls will force the clutch to engage quicker than the regular balls. Basically they shorten the range of rpm's from non-engagement to full engagement.

Jerry

i run 3 tc balls w/heavy spring in the perch adj with 1/4" threads showing,13/52 gearing in my 05 yz for HS riding and its about perfect. al at rekluse doesn't reccomend any tc's for MX on the 05/06 :thumbsup:

• mightymouse291

Posted March 10, 2006 - 09:49 AM

Well I installed it and rode practice at a MX track yesterday. Although I can really see where the benefit would be, I just could not get used to the bike. I tried to adjust, but did not seem any better. I will go out on a limb here and say that I am going to pull my Rekluse out of my bike and sell it. PM me if you may be interested. I will put it in classifieds after I take it out this weekend.

thanks for all of the input from everyone here...

• snow

Posted March 10, 2006 - 06:57 PM

So does the heavy TC balls slow the quickness of the bike at all??? Why not for MX??? Going to install this weekend and I am debating on trying them.

• DSMotorsport

Posted March 10, 2006 - 08:16 PM

I rode mine around a bit on the street today, so far Im loving the rekluse. It drags a bit when it's cold, but that went away after a minute or two. No stalling issues, I coiudn't get it to stall while farting around.

Mx practice at Etown tommorrow, will have another report after.

• snow

Posted March 10, 2006 - 09:08 PM

Ok so I'm looking at my clutch and I can't tell the difference between the normal balls and the TC balls. How does a guy tell them apart. Thanks Justin.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 10, 2006 - 10:08 PM

Ok so I'm looking at my clutch and I can't tell the difference between the normal balls and the TC balls. How does a guy tell them apart. Thanks Justin.

The only way I know is too weigh them.

• Chas_M

Posted March 10, 2006 - 11:08 PM

How about using a magnet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted March 11, 2006 - 06:32 AM

tungsten carbide steel attracts to a magnet. there is a slightly grey color compared to steel,they are about twice as heavy. you can feel the difference in hand but i weighed mine on a triple beam to find them when i mixed'em up one time. they come in a seperate baggie from rekluse. my suggestion would be to mark the spots(on the pressure plate)where they go with a sharpie before install,that way you know right where they are. they must be spread evenly by a number that gozinta 30 (3,5,6,10) so with 3 tc balls,one would go in slot 10,20,30. as far as mx too much engagement would hurt more on jumps(a higher engagement point will give less engine breaking) and wouldn't come out of the corners as well.

• snow

Posted March 11, 2006 - 05:06 PM

Well I ride 50% dunes no MX and 50% tight trails. So what do you think I should run???? Also the TC balls are 3-1/2 grams the steel are 3grams.

Just not sure on a setup at this point. I like the way my bike felt stock but I killed that thing more times than I would like to remember in the woods.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 12, 2006 - 06:37 AM

for dunes i'd say at least 3 maybe 5,for woods 3 work great(in my 05) 03-04 i'd try 5 they upped the primary gear for 05(probly the same in 06) and the clutch spins faster. i could've swore the difference was more than that in the weight,but then again i do drink my beer from aluminum cans :thumbsup:

• snow

Posted March 12, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Well it's snowing right now but it's all done. Have 5 TC balls and light spring. Hope to make it out next weekend but maybe I will have to take the RMK out. Will try it out in the yard when it stops snowing.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted March 12, 2006 - 09:38 AM

A few question from somebody who knows nothing of the rekluse.
do you lose anything performance wise after installing it?
how does the gear shifter work without a clutch? do you just shift up and down without it? or select a gear and go?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 12, 2006 - 09:49 AM

No performance loss at all. Yes you just shift, I never use my clutch to shift anyway. You gotta let up on the throttle, shift and go. :thumbsup:

• snow

Posted March 13, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Well I got it out on Sun and it's got to be the best Mod I could have done can't figure out why I waited this long. I do have a few questions.

1. How much does the Rotela oil help??? Is it bad for the 450 motor???

2. Sometimes when I race I just keep the throttle pined and just tap the clutch to grap a gear without letting off. I have the Perch adjuster but I could not do this WHY????

3. I set up my install gap at .030 then took it out for a 20min spin and checked again and still at .039 so should I check again after a wile or just ride it???? Also when I check with the feeler gauge I have to wiggle up and down and then it slides in. Is that ok or should it just slide in???

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 13, 2006 - 06:26 PM

You cant get a complete overide with the perch adjustor under full throttle and high engine rpm. The balls climb in their slots and you cant push the pressure plate out far enough because the balls would fall out of the unit if they dont limit the travel. The only thing nice about the perch adjustor is to get revs up quick between tight consecutive log crossings. :bonk:

Delo 400 or Rotella T is the best choice for these clutches. Change your oil a lot as well. At least diesel oil is cheap. :thumbsup:

Your install gap will change after the first hour of riding. after that it will need only periodic checks for clearance. I run tight at .030" clearance and 5 TC balls. :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted March 14, 2006 - 06:12 AM

definately check it again after another good ride,the rekluse plates change it .008" so anything above .040 and i'd go ahead and put one in. diesel engines offer some of the harshest environments possible to a motor oil. i use rotella 30wt with excellent results,and its cheap enough to change every wknd :thumbsup:

• twistin214

Posted March 17, 2006 - 05:39 PM

have you guys noticed a different sound coming from the rekluse. all i have done is break in. thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.