The Demise of the XR650

37 replies to this topic
  • kelleyseiler

Posted March 05, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I keep hearing that Honda is going to stop producing the XR650R & L, is this true? :thumbsup: Please post any facts that you have heard on this and any links that you have found. I have owned XL's and XR's since 1981. They have been the most dependable bikes I have owned. :thumbsup:

• Supplicate

Posted March 05, 2006 - 01:11 PM

I heard from a pretty reliable source that the CRF600X is already released for beta testing in Europe.

Said relaible source is trying to get with his European sponsors to bring one over here to the states for competition purposes later this year.

but, as with everything else on this board, this subject has been beaten to death and flogged into a pulp. Do a search, there are several threads many pages long already on this subject.

• rmhrc630

Posted March 05, 2006 - 01:34 PM

I heard from a pretty reliable source that the CRF600X is already released for beta testing in Europe.

Said relaible source is trying to get with his European sponsors to bring one over here to the states for competition purposes later this year.

but, as with everything else on this board, this subject has been beaten to death and flogged into a pulp. Do a search, there are several threads many pages long already on this subject.

please elaborate a little further o wise one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :eek:

• Supplicate

Posted March 05, 2006 - 02:33 PM

please elaborate a little further o wise one :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :eek: :eek:

there's really nothing to elaborate on :thumbsup:

I was simply told there is a fairly good possibility for a few of the 600X's to be showing up here stateside sometime in the near future.

but... this is all hush hush top secret, ya know :lol:

• rmhrc630

Posted March 05, 2006 - 03:57 PM

there's really nothing to elaborate on :thumbsup:

I was simply told there is a fairly good possibility for a few of the 600X's to be showing up here stateside sometime in the near future.

but... this is all hush hush top secret, ya know :thumbsup:

any details then of what the 600X has???

it's looks etc???

EFI confirmation???

GPS confirmation???

• weskc35k

Posted March 05, 2006 - 04:01 PM

The xr and xrl are finito here in Australia but i was under the impression that the uS and Europe where still making the non rego version.
Honda Australia knows nothing about the crf600x though something will replace the BRP's at some stage .

• wickedsprint

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:01 PM

They better make it reliable, glad I got my 650R when I did.

• Supplicate

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:14 PM

They better make it reliable, glad I got my 650R when I did.

:thumbsup:

I'm trying to figure out how I can afford another one before the line goes the way of the dodo :thumbsup:

any details then of what the 600X has???

it's looks etc???

EFI confirmation???

GPS confirmation???

you already know as much as I do. I didn't push the issue, and he didn't offer any more info.

• XR4DEZ

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Yep I want a new 650r too, gotta find a summer job this year.

• dukeryder

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:04 PM

Maybe they'll replace the L with the Transalp.
Posted Image
This'd be some nice competition for the Strom.
http://www.honda.co....mage.asp?id=421

I'd love to get my hands on one of these
Posted Image
^ That's a dual sport (adventure) the R riders won't be calling its riders nancys.

It's too bad the Idiots up at Honda North America feel there's no Demand for "Adventure" bikes and have no plans to bring any of these bikes to North America (Friggin' Idiots)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted March 07, 2006 - 10:53 PM

The africa twin is a cool bike, but its kind of heavy, and underpowered compared to the transalp. I was reading in a british bike mag that they liked the transalp, but not so much the africa twin for the reasons stated.

The veradero is another good bike, but is even heavier than the africa twin.

You forgot to add one other bike to the line-up...
http://www.honda.co....e.jsp#focusHere
I don't think Honda is discontinuing the XRL, just changing it around a bit...

My dad has had 2 nx 650's, an nx 250, and has a Transalp. He really likes his transalp because its more comfortable than the 650's, and has just as much power. Its a bit heavier, but still handles really well. If anyone knows anything about the Transalps that were imported into the US, he has the red one... :thumbsup:

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:05 AM

The latest i heard was two years left on the XR650R and L in their current form the states.

Then the XR650R will get rebadged as a dual sport bike with electric start and 50 state dmv legal from the dealer.

I stopped paying attention to the "600x" rumors.
1. they always conflict, the same two guys with the same lines of internal insight from Torrance will tell two totally different stories.

2. even if one existed i probably wouldn't ride it unless it was based on the XR engine, not the CRF engine.

btw, suculent, you should ask your friend why Honda would use Europe as testing grounds for a supposed 600cc desert sled when every other off road bike Honda has sold was developed and tested in the California Desert.

• HawkGT

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:30 AM

[snip]...

Then the XR650R will get rebadged as a dual sport bike with electric start and 50 state dmv legal from the dealer.

...[snip]

Let's hope. I bet this would be a very popular bike (among TT types).

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:44 AM

The africa twin is a cool bike, but its kind of heavy, and underpowered compared to the transalp. I was reading in a british bike mag that they liked the transalp, but not so much the africa twin for the reasons stated.

The veradero is another good bike, but is even heavier than the africa twin.

My dad has had 2 nx 650's, an nx 250, and has a Transalp. He really likes his transalp because its more comfortable than the 650's, and has just as much power. Its a bit heavier, but still handles really well. If anyone knows anything about the Transalps that were imported into the US, he has the red one... :thumbsup:

Show this pic to your dad:
http://pic12.picture...0/132369965.jpg

Look close, it's a Transalp with XR 600R forks, Africa Twin swingarm, tank, and shroud. I'd give my left nut for this bike.

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 08, 2006 - 09:49 AM

...one more thing. here's a messageboard for transalp fans:

http://www.transalp.org/phpbb2/

• EMathy

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:14 AM

That looks a whole lot like the MZ Black Panther. But the Black Panther has the Yam 660 liguid cooled motor, which will eat the 650L motor for lunch.

http://www.motorradn.../baghiraBP.html

• MindBlower

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:16 AM

Maybe they'll replace the L with the Transalp.
Posted Image
This'd be some nice competition for the Strom.
http://www.honda.co....mage.asp?id=421

I'd love to get my hands on one of these
Posted Image
^ That's a dual sport (adventure) the R riders won't be calling its riders nancys.

It's too bad the Idiots up at Honda North America feel there's no Demand for "Adventure" bikes and have no plans to bring any of these bikes to North America (Friggin' Idiots)

Yeh, how DARE they give a darn how many they actually sell!

Hint: (we HAD they trasalp here. they sold like ....23 of them......) :thumbsup:

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 08, 2006 - 10:20 AM

...try to go buy a transalp now. you can't get one for under $5k.

$5k for a bike that's almost 20 years old.

things are different now.

if they brought the transalp back to the US i would be one of the first in line for it.

• JackAttack

Posted March 08, 2006 - 11:34 AM

if they brought the transalp back to the US i would be one of the first in line for it.

I would be second in line...if they still cost $5000. :thumbsup:

• MindBlower

Posted March 08, 2006 - 12:20 PM

...try to go buy a transalp now. you can't get one for under $5k.

$5k for a bike that's almost 20 years old.

things are different now.

I doubt seriously if things are much different. There is a VERY small group of people interested in those bikes. Manufacturers don't offer much new even now so used ones are still desirable. But it's the same bunch of guys buying them. Don't misunderstand, I LIKED that Transalp and looked seriously at them a couple of different times. But I don't think the market is any bigger than it was then. And that was pitifully small. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.