Rekluse Clutch Plates and Oil Recommendation...HELP!

11 replies to this topic
  • JoeJoe03

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:08 AM

I installed a Rekluse in my '03 YZ450F a month ago. It was a used rekluse I must add. All the plates looked good. I used all the rekluse steel plates that came with it and still had a clearance of .040

My bike ran well but a couple days ago it started slipping very bad all of a sudden and I could smell oil. I took it apart and the steel plates were dark and had some burn spots on them. The gap was still the same but the 2 steel plates that are installed together under the first friction were stuck together. It was hard to separate them and I am wondering if that could be the reason for the slipping and burning signs???

I want to replace all friction and steel plates.. What do you recommend I use to replace with?????? All EOM, GYTR, etc.....

What oil do you recommend I use with the rekluse??? I am using Maxum4 Premium oil for 4 stroke engines sae 10W40.

I am hoping with new plates I can close by gap up to within .030-.037...Its at .040 now. Do you know if rekluse sells the thicker (.055) steel plates individually??????

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED......THANKS FELLOW TT'ers :thumbsup:

• bigdrtrdr

Posted March 05, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Did the stock friction plates look good or measure good. You need to measure the plates thickness to know for sure.
I installed my Rekluse on used plates that were in spec and it works great.
Also check for warpage of the drive plates.
If they are worn, I would replace with stock parts.
Use Rotella oil like rekluse sugests.
Eric

• JoeJoe03

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Eric,

What exact Rotella Oil is it?? Is that what is recommended by rekluse for a '03 YZ450f?

My plates, beside from looking discolored, they measure right at .05 and are not warped. My gap is still at .40 so maybe I need to change the friction plates. If I do this then I was thinking to change the steels too but am not sure if the stock steels will be thinner than the ones I have in there.....

So you recommend OEM replacements right? Friction and steel plates?

• bigdrtrdr

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:33 AM

Yamaha has always had good clutch parts, no need to spend any extra.
Rotella oil is available at Walmart. "Shell product"
15/40 non synthetic for about 5-6 bucks a gallon. Basicly a diesel engine oil.
I use the Full Synthetic 5/40 for about 12-13 per gallon.
Eric

• JoeJoe03

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:46 AM

Ok you got me turned around a bit...excuse my ignorance please:)

Do I need non synthetic or full synthetic??? 5/40 or 15/40?

I don't mind spending on the best oil because I know how important it is!!! I just want the best for use with the rekluse on my bike.

Thanks for your input Eric! :thumbsup:

Joe
'03 YZ450F

• Chas_M

Posted March 05, 2006 - 09:30 AM

Rekluse recommends the non-synthetic, petroluem based 15/40 diesel oil, NOT the synthetic variety.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted March 05, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Rekluse recommends the non-synthetic, petroluem based 15/40 diesel oil, NOT the synthetic variety.

Your right. :thumbsup: Don't run a synthetic with an auto clutch.

• 642MX

Posted March 05, 2006 - 11:33 AM

I installed a Rekluse in my '03 YZ450F a month ago. It was a used rekluse I must add. All the plates looked good. I used all the rekluse steel plates that came with it and still had a clearance of .040

My bike ran well but a couple days ago it started slipping very bad all of a sudden and I could smell oil. I took it apart and the steel plates were dark and had some burn spots on them. The gap was still the same but the 2 steel plates that are installed together under the first friction were stuck together. It was hard to separate them and I am wondering if that could be the reason for the slipping and burning signs???

I want to replace all friction and steel plates.. What do you recommend I use to replace with?????? All EOM, GYTR, etc.....

What oil do you recommend I use with the rekluse??? I am using Maxum4 Premium oil for 4 stroke engines sae 10W40.

I am hoping with new plates I can close by gap up to within .030-.037...Its at .040 now. Do you know if rekluse sells the thicker (.055) steel plates individually??????

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED......THANKS FELLOW TT'ers :thumbsup:

Rekluse sells all the parts individually. If you smoked the clutch you need all new fibers and metals. Call Rekluse and get some new Rekluse steel plates, they are thicker than stocks. Make sure your installed gap is on the tight end of the spec and check it after the first ride with the new plates, chances are the gap will change and you'll need to add a Rekluse steel plate. And run Rotella 15W40 oil or Chevron Delo 400 and change it often.

Several things cause the clutch plates to burn up. Riding a gear higher than you should can cause it, too much installed gap can cause it, and dirty oil can be blamed too. Hope this helps, I've had my clutch for a long time and really like it.

• JoeJoe03

Posted March 05, 2006 - 01:32 PM

Thanks all you guys very much for your input! It is all very helpful. I guess I will order a set of OEM friction plates from Yamaha and the thicker steel plates from Rekluse.

I will also change my oil to the recommended Delo 400 non synthetic!

Anyone know where the best place is to buy the Delo 400 oil??

and

Should I go with OEM on the friction plates??

Thanks!

• ncmountainman

Posted March 05, 2006 - 01:33 PM

my rekluse seems happiest with straight 30wt rotella and 22cool, those 2 plates stick together on mine also,i don't think its much to worry about. yes they sell the .055 seperate,add another one and it will put you back where it belongs. i usually install with 2 .055's with a new clutch...break it in....add one more .055 and thats good for quite some time..add another .055 when it goes out of spec again...then replace the whole clutch(OEM)after that goes out of spec.

• RDon

Posted May 16, 2006 - 01:45 PM

I must have missed something, but I just installed a Rekluse, and didn't have 2 steel plates next to each other. Sounds counter productive, as we already have removed 2 plates ( a friction and a Steel).

don

• beasleys

Posted May 17, 2006 - 02:52 AM

If you did not install 2 steels back to back then you did something wrong. You remove one whole pair and the place a friction and then 2 steels then friction, steel, friction, steel and so forth. Check back in your directions it should say it in there.

I made the same mistake when I put in my rekluse running the synthetic oil. I ran castrol actevo. I burned up a brand new EBC clutch in a matter of 10 riding hours. I figured out the problem about 5 hours into it but once you have already soaked those fiber plates in the synthetic oil it is a lost cause.

You can get the DELO 400 from Walmart or most Auto parts stores for around 8-9 dollars a gallon which is three plus oil changes. I just relegoiusly change it after every ride wether it was a one hour after work blast or 6 hour trail ride. It seems to be working well. I have another 25 hours aon these new plates and everything is great. :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.