2006 YZ450 "after first ride" impressions.

56 replies to this topic
  • DSMotorsport

Posted March 04, 2006 - 06:36 PM

I got to ride my new 450 today at Blue Diamond MX in Delaware. Very very hardpack with a little bit of loose dirt/wood chips on top. It was very windy, so doing the jumps wasn't really safe. temp was about 40*F. Im a C novice rider, 210lb, age 27.

First off, the jetting is very lean. The bike pops and misfires at partial throttle and on decel but was easy to start. I have the stock jets other than a 170 main jet installed. It runs awsome at full throttle, the power is much much better than the 03 CRF Im coming off of. Hopefully a richer pilot will show up with ups this week in a big box of parts, as well as warmer weather will help out all this situation.

The suspension seems incredibly stiff on the little bumps and sharp edges. I turned the compression 5 clicks back on fork and 4 back on the shock. Didn't help much. I really really hope this is a "break in" kinda thing and it will smooth out with some riding time. I wasn't able to do most of the jumps due to the crosswind, so no idea on those.

I have alot of problems with steering. The fork are up in the clamp so that the scribed line in the fork tube is just a hair above the clamp. Stock bars, stock tire @ 13psi. The front seems to feel like it just doesn't have traction and wants to slide around. Im not getting along with it at all. It feels like it wants to run wide and come out of the berm alot, it just never feel solidly planted. The sketchy front end is a confidence killer for me, I don't trust it.

Gearing: I think Im going to move up to a 51t rear sprocket to make 2nd gear more usable for slow me in tight corners. I had to shift down into first in some of the tight inside lines to keep from stalling, but when I get back on the gas, I can't keep the front wheel on the ground to steer. Got a DID chain on the way, my stocker stretched out about 4 clicks on the axle blocks in the total of 1.2 hours I rode today (very slow).

Ergos: I have windham bend protaper bars on the way that should be significantly taller. Think Im going to drop the seat off at a local appolstry shop and have a significant dip cut into it to keep me up front and lower. Im 5'11". I liked the feeling of my buddies CRF That feels like your "inside" the bike rather than "on top of it".

My buddy has an 05 CRF, we swapped bikes. His has a SGD cut down seat, about the same bars as I have on order, 20mm clamps, and factory connection suspension. we are same weight, he is a bit faster than me. After swapping bikes I was pulling away from him while riding his bike, he didn't get along with my new yzf either. He has the same complaints: wicked stiff suspension on the hack, low bars, high seat, and sketchy front end. His bike feel like you are sitting IN the bike and the front tire sticks like glue...you don't even worry about where the tire is going, as it's going right where you point it...I was pushing harder through the corners on his bike on the first lap. Both of us are much faster on his CRF sadly. The zyf definatly vibrates much less, feels lighter, and seems to be equal on power but niether of us could get used to the handling.

Any advise? will the suspension soften up after some riding time? Any specific tips on making the front tire feel more planted?

As of the first ride Im not happy with the bike at all with the setup.

• NYMXer

Posted March 04, 2006 - 06:56 PM

I can't say how the bike feels with the stock tire since I put a Maxxis IT up front before I even rode the bike. I did drop the forks to the first notch and run 13 psi in my tires. My bars are stock and I put a RK O ring gold chain on too.

My bike turns fine and my suspension feels plush, not overly firm (I did take the time to set up the sag and went 2 clicks heavier on both ends). I weigh 215 but ride fast, senior A rider. I found the power very linear and forgiving. The motor pulls strong from idle through the top end and if you are in too high a gear, the bike still pulls. I would practice staying a gear high if I were you. For me, the gearing is OK. I might add a tooth to the rear, no more.

I can only compare this bike to the Suzuki and I liked that too. The Yamaha sems to have a bit more power, but other than that, they are close. I can compare it to my YZ250 and they both have their good and bad points. Overall, I like the 450 since I can go a bit faster using less energy. I am surprised by how light these big bikes feel. Technology is a wonderful thing! :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:00 PM

get rid of that front tire.

your suspenders will break in, dont worry.

• yz133rider

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Hey I think I saw you out there. I know I was drooling at somebody's '06 450f. Might been yours haha. Anyway Most people on here say to dump the front tire for a 756 and that the stocker really stinks. Most also suggest rasing the forks in the triple clamps to the next line on the forks. They says its like a totally new bike. If you need help breaking the suspension in just come ask me. I will suffer riding your harsh nasty '06 for ya. Its a horrible job but somebody has to do it.

• DSMotorsport

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:05 PM

My bike turns fine and my suspension feels plush, not overly firm (I did take the time to set up the sag and went 2 clicks heavier on both ends). I weigh 215 but ride fast, senior A rider. I found the power very linear and forgiving. The motor pulls strong from idle through the top end and if you are in too high a gear, the bike still pulls. I would practice staying a gear high if I were you. For me, the gearing is OK. I might add a tooth to the rear, no more.

Im pretty slow, I wasn't about to keep my speed through tight corners up enough to stay in 2nd without it stalling. This might go away once the jetting is right and I can set the idle (it won't stay running as it sits no matter what without atleast 1/8 throttle) My corner speed might be higher once I get the front to stick. Maybe the gearing issue will fix itself if it's a byproduct of another isue.

Maybe the suspension feels plush to you becuase your working it harder. For me the back is kicking around and going side to side on choppy bumps exiting corners, while the fork doesn't seem to even move on anything smaller than a "jump". I pulled the whole suspension apart to regrease bearings and made specific effort to alight the forks when putting the wheel back on. jounced the fork alot and used front brake while rolling before tightening the pinch bolts. Feels like there is a ton of sticktion in the fork.

• DSMotorsport

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:08 PM

Hey I think I saw you out there. I know I was drooling at somebody's '06 450f. Might been yours haha. Anyway Most people on here say to dump the front tire for a 756 and that the stocker really stinks. Most also suggest rasing the forks in the triple clamps to the next line on the forks. They says its like a totally new bike. If you need help breaking the suspension in just come ask me. I will suffer riding your harsh nasty '06 for ya. Its a horrible job but somebody has to do it.

Yeah, I was out there sucking it up and getting passed. :thumbsup: #303 yellow bike, black plates/white #'s. blue riding gear, yellow helmet.

I have the atlready moved up to the only line scribed in the fork tube. Can't imagine how poorly it would turn for me with the forks at the caps like it came from dealer. They are up maybe 1/3" or so?

I didn't change to the 756 front tire (have one here to go on) becuase we knew this is a hardpack track and the 739 "should" have been better there.

• yz133rider

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:15 PM

Oh Didnt relaize you already moved the forks. I dont know what to tell you as I dont own the bike. hope to soon though. I would put the 756 on anyway, I have an '01 250f with 756's f and r and they were working really well today. I felt the fastest I have ever been today. Kept working with clickers and whatnot. Front end didnt push but maybe once all day. Maybe work on body postioning in the corners. Just like focus on it becasue i used to slide around everywhere, even had a hard time going straight. Doesnt make sense to me maybe just get a few rides on her and get the set up right. Did you set the sag yet? Just throwing ideas out there.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:38 PM

Sorry you didn't like your first ride on the 450. I thought even brand new that the new suspension was as good as the Enzo I was running on my 05 YZ 250. You might want to check the bleeder screw on top of the forks just to make sure there is no air in the forks. I'm a Vet C rider about 207lbs and 36 years old. Turning to me was a big issue especially in rutted areas. After making sure the forks were just a tad bit above the etched line, I put a Dunlop 742 on the front. I also went with a 90 instead of an 80. It made a huge difference in turning. Now the front stays put in the ruts and doesn't want to drift(understeer) out of it. I also had Race Tech suspension done but kept the stock rear spring. I couldn't be happier with the bike.

• flintlock28

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:40 PM

What is your sag set at??

I have a 2004 yz 450f, but I think I remember guys on here saying to set the 2006 model to 98mm.

get rid of that P.O.S. front tire, I hated that tire on Blue Diamond, and switched to a 756, mucho better.

Blue D. can also be a difficult track to ride when it's really hard-packed, and the rare times that it's somewhat loamy, makes the bike carve a heck of a lot better. Again, use a 756 up front, and run a Maxxis IT on the rear (a lot of people recommend this combo)

Do some searches about the 2006 model, everyone seems to say a few tweaks, and the bike is world's better.

• broncomoto

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:10 PM

The sag setting on mine was too stiff. once ridden, then set, all that remains is one click softer compression up front. I took some good advice on the card stuff to fix starting woes. The advice was don't mess with anything but the fuel screw (get you an after market one). The advice said a little popping is OK. congrats!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid on a 426

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:18 PM

If you really dont like it Ill switch you bikes :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:22 PM

the bike was handling that way because you have black backgrounds on a 450. The bike thinks you want it to be a 250F and it's confused.. :thumbsup:

• DSMotorsport

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:33 PM

ordering a 51T rear and new chain, cutting the seat down, taller bars, fuel screw, 48 pilot, and 756 front tire going on this week. Get the sag to 98mm then play with the fork height to get it to steer accuratly.

Looks like Englishtown is open for practice on saturday. Hopefully I can get to agree with the bike a little better on the next ride with some more changes.

• jerryls

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:35 PM

The first page of every Yamaha owner's manual should state "remove the D739 if you plan on engaging in any turning activities."

Do a search for the 739. Plenty of negative feedback out there.

Jerry

• Farmer_dave

Posted March 04, 2006 - 11:54 PM

Hey DSMotorsport
I dont ride a 2006 YZF 450 but my bro does, I ride an 06 RMZ 450, Im sure your suspension will only get better with time mine has although its still way too firm! give it a good 5 hours till its run in, Hey just a thought did you torque the fork pinch bolts to right amount? I made the mistake of over tightening them once and it made for the most harsh suspension Ive ever known my guess is you havent done this but it was just a thought.

• KillerHiller

Posted March 04, 2006 - 11:59 PM

It's been mentioned, but have you checked your sag? What is it? I would try the 98mm, and check it again after it breaks in.

You probably know how to check your sag, and be in full gear, but if not, do a search in the suspension forum.

• twenty34

Posted March 05, 2006 - 12:11 AM

Is the back is kicking side to side, you need to adjust your rebound damping, not your compression damping. Most likely you will need to increase it (slow down the rebound) so it doesn't kick you around. It's probably rebounding too quickly and causing this. On the other hand, it could be set to stiff and have a similar feeling, but if I had to guess, it probably needs to be increased. This should help a lot. Try a few clicks at atime and ride it in the same sections to see how it affects the handling. The bike should perform much better than your first experience. It's the best bike in it's class currently! :thumbsup:

Im pretty slow, I wasn't about to keep my speed through tight corners up enough to stay in 2nd without it stalling. This might go away once the jetting is right and I can set the idle (it won't stay running as it sits no matter what without atleast 1/8 throttle) My corner speed might be higher once I get the front to stick. Maybe the gearing issue will fix itself if it's a byproduct of another isue.

Maybe the suspension feels plush to you becuase your working it harder. For me the back is kicking around and going side to side on choppy bumps exiting corners, while the fork doesn't seem to even move on anything smaller than a "jump". I pulled the whole suspension apart to regrease bearings and made specific effort to alight the forks when putting the wheel back on. jounced the fork alot and used front brake while rolling before tightening the pinch bolts. Feels like there is a ton of sticktion in the fork.

• twenty34

Posted March 05, 2006 - 12:14 AM

There's a lot of bashing regarding the 739, but on hard pack, it works quite well actually. Ppl need to ask the type of terrain before writting off this tire.

The first page of every Yamaha owner's manual should state "remove the D739 if you plan on engaging in any turning activities."

Do a search for the 739. Plenty of negative feedback out there.

Jerry

• Ga426owner

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:21 AM

ordering a 51T rear and new chain, cutting the seat down, taller bars, fuel screw, 48 pilot, and 756 front tire going on this week. Get the sag to 98mm then play with the fork height to get it to steer accuratly.

Looks like Englishtown is open for practice on saturday. Hopefully I can get to agree with the bike a little better on the next ride with some more changes.

Why are you putting a 51 T sprocket on this bike? this is drastic and for ArenaCross. The 50 is a better choice, in my opinion. At slow speeds this bike will beat the hell out of you. You must back off the compression front and rear....soften it up DS. Once you get more comfortable with the bike you will go faster...then you will see how magic the suspension really is. :thumbsup:

• DSMotorsport

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:28 AM

Hey DSMotorsport
I dont ride a 2006 YZF 450 but my bro does, I ride an 06 RMZ 450, Im sure your suspension will only get better with time mine has although its still way too firm! give it a good 5 hours till its run in, Hey just a thought did you torque the fork pinch bolts to right amount? I made the mistake of over tightening them once and it made for the most harsh suspension Ive ever known my guess is you havent done this but it was just a thought.

Upper tripple clamps bolts at at 17FTlb bottom bolts at 14ft-lb. The axle pinch bolts are at 14ftlb. I made absolutly sure to move the suspension alot before tightnening them so the fork woiudn't bind, as I have done that before on other bikes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.