Inside of exhaust sooty black

7 replies to this topic
  • chicagobikefan

Posted March 04, 2006 - 04:19 PM

I'm continuing to tweak the number of disks / jet sizes in my uncorked '05 XR650L. I have 58/165 with 9 disks. Plug is white and clean, but inside of Supertrapp IDS2 is sooty black after about 300 miles. Is black soot inside the exhaust to be disregarded? It doesn't mean a rich condition, does it, even though the plug is white? Sounds like the white (lean) plug is telling me to remove some disks to richen things up... I'm confused; help me, exhaust experts :thumbsup:

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 05, 2006 - 07:03 AM

I'm continuing to tweak the number of disks / jet sizes in my uncorked '05 XR650L. I have 58/165 with 9 disks. Plug is white and clean, but inside of Supertrapp IDS2 is sooty black after about 300 miles. Is black soot inside the exhaust to be disregarded? It doesn't mean a rich condition, does it, even though the plug is white? Sounds like the white (lean) plug is telling me to remove some disks to richen things up... I'm confused; help me, exhaust experts :thumbsup:

How does the bike "feel" or run? Any hesitation or bogging? If you go too rich you'll end up not burning all the air/fuel mixture, especially in a low(er) compression XRL motor, which means more carbon build up. You might be able to notice that unburned fuel smell when revving the motor well past idle.

Any bogging in the mid to full throttle range could mean the main jet is too rich. On the other side, if it leans out before 80 mph top speed, it's probably too lean. Ideally, you only want to upsize the main jet 1 to 2 sizes larger once the motor has leaned out depending on engine mods.

Also, a lot of the "black soot" can be attributed to a richer pilot circuit during warm up. The XRL benefits from the richer pilot circuit because it eliminates that annoying off-idle bog.

But then again, I might not know what I'm talking about... :thumbsup:

• roadcam

Posted March 05, 2006 - 11:13 AM

when I purchased my Supertrapp IDS2 last year, a small slip of paper was included with the paperwork ... Supertrapp stated that the 'quiet core' in the pipe was equal to 6 discs, .... more discs would make zero difference, as the core will only pass what it was designed for ... (I run 8 discs, anyway, it's just the outlaw in me) ... I suspect if your pipe gets a bit of soot just from the 'choke' while starting, the soot will remain for quite awhile, regardless of fuel mixture ... I think that may be what you're seeing ... go by the spark plug readings, and be sure to check the plug after a good high-speed run, and fast shutdown ... :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Its tough to read the exhaust, because if you're rich anywhere (idle, mid, top-end) the exhaust will soot and stay there.

If you only have a rich spot, and lean everywhere else, the plug will get cleaned if you shut it down outside the rich spot.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:42 AM

Its tough to read the exhaust, because if you're rich anywhere (idle, mid, top-end) the exhaust will soot and stay there.

If you only have a rich spot, and lean everywhere else, the plug will get cleaned if you shut it down outside the rich spot.

Dave

Don't all carbureted ICE's have rich spots? Especially ones equipped with accelerator pumps? Throttle modulation allows us to richen or lean out the mixture.

Isn't this normal?

• roadcam

Posted March 06, 2006 - 02:46 PM

also, if your "plug is white and clean" , it sounds like you are already running quite lean ....

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 06, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Don't all carbureted ICE's have rich spots? Especially ones equipped with accelerator pumps? Throttle modulation allows us to richen or lean out the mixture.

Isn't this normal?

I think you can get something without an accel. pump (like an XRL) close enough that you won't have any soot- but basically, yeah, that's why its tough to go by the exhaust pipe.

Dave

• chicagobikefan

Posted March 06, 2006 - 04:46 PM

Thanks a lot for the info, guys. I'm going to be taking the Supertrapp down to 5-6 disks just to see how it runs. But, we got snow in Chicago last night and right now all the little puddles are freezing over so I'm nervous about taking it out...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.