JET NEEDLE - OBDUS vs JD Blue/Red

5 replies to this topic
  • pHreaC

Posted March 04, 2006 - 02:32 PM

I just bought me a WR450F, but as you all know this thing is VERY slow stock. So I was thinking of doing some of the free mods. After searching and reading some posts on the forum my eye felt on Indy's jetting chart.

I will be needing the following:
re-jet the bike using INDY450's jetting chart:
Elevation 0 to 4,000. feet
60 to 75 degrees: 168 main, JD Blue #3 or JD Red #5, 48 Pilot, 1.5 turns, 70 starter jet, #40 leak jet

My question about this is the following: living in Belgium we have different jet-suppliers than you guys in the USA. So what can I use here in Belgium to replace the JD-needles. I have at the moment an OBDUS needle supplied to me by Yamaha, wich has cutouts for setting it at different heights. I'm looking on info if this is the needle I can use to replace the JD blue/red (same specs?) and at wich position do I have to set the needle to get the right result. (I am no jetting expert, so expirementing will be a bit far fetched for me).
And what about the Zip Ty, what can I install instead and at what setting?
And what is the starter jet, can't find info on this in my manual.

Another thing relating to the free mods. Will there be much difference in power if I open up the stock exhaust versus the PMB insert? The airbox-mods, much power to gain here, or just looking for trouble when driving through water? Graywire, throttle stop, ais removal are all still on my to do list...allthough can't figure out the gain by removing the ais(it's something of an afterburner right?)

Would love to hear your comments on this.

grtz,

pHreaC

• pkcof

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:04 PM

my 2c worth ...
48 pilot
OBDUS needle (third from top)
172 main
zipty 1 3/4 turns out
you really need to get rid of the standard muffler (the header is fine) and get something like a FMF powercore, Pro Circuit T4, GYT-R, a stock YZ450F muffler or even a Q2 if noise is a problem so that the 450 engine can breath after the modifications !!
yes, do the grey wire but try to do all the mods at the same time or it's like driving with your foot on the accelerator and the brake at the same time ...
AIS ? ... well in Australia they don't even come from the dealer until it's removed (and it is not needed here by law) what a 'band aid' fix it is anyway !!!
Then premium unleaded and valve guard ... good luck !!

• OneToGo

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:31 PM

This is good stuff if you dont want the JD:

my 2c worth ...
48 pilot
OBDUS needle (third from top)
172 main
zipty 1 3/4 turns out
you really need to get rid of the standard muffler (the header is fine) and get something like a FMF powercore, Pro Circuit T4, GYT-R, a stock YZ450F muffler or even a Q2 if noise is a problem so that the 450 engine can breath after the modifications !!....
Then premium unleaded and valve guard ... good luck !!

However, I suggest you get the JD kit (add about US15 for freight) or otherwise the needles either side of the OBDUS (R/T- I think). If you are doing that, then order a variety of MJ/PJ/LJ/SJ as well from your friendly Yamaha Dealer. The OBDU_ series needles each have different diameter profiles (check manual) and work similarly to the JD setup. The JD is simpler IMHO, and color codes for HOT/COLD - thus two different seasonal settings!!
Indys guide is a good start however clark4131 posts a specific 05/06 spec. that slightly differs to Indys which is for 03/04WRs.
Enjoy
Cheers
Colin
:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Get the JD kit. If frustration was calculated in billable hours, what would it be worth to you? The JD kit and TT make it a no brainer. If you need help after you get the JD kit, shoot me a PM...SC

• old man dan

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:58 PM

Do the throttle stop mod and get the JD kit if you can, otherwise use the OBDUS but get a 48 pilot and 168-170-172 main and experiment a little. Remove the grey wire and the airbox snorkel, don't cut the side holes in the airbox if you ride in deep water (I've been in up to the bottom of the seat and not had any trouble) get a PMB exhaust tip for now and if you want to get even more power at the expense of some more noise you can always upgrade the exhaust again later. Removing the AIS should reduce popping on decel although mine is still on there and the popping doesn't really bother me. I'll probably take it off soon just because it gets in the way of routine servicing. Do the mods all at once and hang on because it's a different machine afterward.

• boer

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Get the JD kit, PMB insert and zipty screw from TT store. I live in Dubai, and have never bought anything more conveniently.

Just a couple of mouse clicks and a few days later it was dropped off right into my hands :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.