T-handle or knurled fuel screw?

4 replies to this topic
  • HawkGT

Posted March 04, 2006 - 10:43 AM

For stock carb. Does anyone make one? I change 5000+ feet on some rides and it likes a little tweaking. Carrying around a little screw driver in my pocket is getting old.

Will this one work? ETA: The metering tip on those screws doesn't look as long and pointy as the stock screw ?? :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Maybe I'll just have to modify my extra fuel screw and make my own. :thumbsup:

ETA2: Here's a better pic of an FCR fuel screw. The tip is deffinitely different.

Posted Image

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 05, 2006 - 07:23 AM

For stock carb. Does anyone make one? I change 5000+ feet on some rides and it likes a little tweaking. Carrying around a little screw driver in my pocket is getting old.

Maybe I'll just have to modify my extra fuel screw and make my own. :thumbsup:

What I've read, but not done yet, is to solder a small piece of bicycle spoke onto the brass pilot screw head (after the tab is removed and the stop is ground off) in order to make your own T-handle. You don't even need to get an extra one. Seems like a simple and low cost mod.

What I have done is use a small length of fuel line or vacuum hose that fits snugly but still slips easily over the head of the screw. Makes it easier to turn it by hand without any tools. Heck, even a shraeder valve cap with some tape to reduce the inside diameter can work since it doesn't take much force to turn the ps. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 05, 2006 - 09:15 AM

On my L, while performing Dave's Most Bodacious Carb Mods, I took my carb bowl over to the bench grinder, and ground it enough for the tab on the stock carb mixture screw to be able to rotate 360.

I think this screw is easily turned with or without the tab, I just opted to mod it the way I did.

For other types of mixture screws, i have heard of the rubber or plastic tubing (mentioned above) or brazing/soldering/welding/epoxying/JB_welding some sort of tip for "tool-less" adjustment.

• old man dan

Posted March 05, 2006 - 09:24 AM

I think the real question is brass vs aluminum. Any extended fuel screw will be pretty easy to adjust, I just dont trust the aluminum versions. If you overtighten even once it can deform the tip. The brass ones are usually tee handles.

• HawkGT

Posted March 05, 2006 - 04:13 PM

Sorry, should've mentioned this is for an XRR. No tabs or stops to grind.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.