Front Disk and Disk Guard for the WR 450

4 replies to this topic
  • Atlasrider

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:33 AM

After the last race I noticed that my stock front brake disk is out of round enough that when I spin it on the stand, it stops when it comes to the places it's been hit by other peoples roost. The stock unit is a floating disk that Yamaha wants $150. to replace. I found and purchased an EBC contour rotor for $89.00 and am searching for a plastic disk guard. I got one from CYCRA they said would fit, but it doesn't. It's for the YZ
and the bolt holes don't line up.
My question's are;
1.) Is anyone else using a non-floating front rotor, what type, any problems?

2.) Have you found a front disk guard that works on a 04 WR 450? Has anyone tried the ACERBIS universal.

• jaggley

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:24 PM

My bike has the floating front disc. Why do they build them like that? What is the advantage?
:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • denverdenali

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:01 PM

I have the acerbis on my 04' wr450 and it works great and easy to install.

• Atlasrider

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:56 AM

My bike has the floating front disc. Why do they build them like that? What is the advantage?
:thumbsup:

Supposedly, the advantange of a floating disk is when it gets rock hits or dings, it can allow the disk to move a little so it can pass through the caliper with out binding. Several of the high end oversize rotors offer this feature...
usually at a price of over $200.00

• Atlasrider

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:58 AM

I have the acerbis on my 04' wr450 and it works great and easy to install.

Does it mount via the axle hole? Or does it bolt on somewhere?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.